·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I am not for this. Abbott is wrong.

While I applaud the fact that he did a good job and saved the lives of his fellow soldiers, sailors, Marines and, Airmen, he was still a part of an invading army. I personally believe what he did is admirable and he could justifiably be called a hero in that respect when looked at in the narrow point of view. When looked at in the larger picture, I think this is going way too far.

Rather than wasting time calling him a hero, we should be reflecting on why he was even there in the first place. If anything he is a symbol of an over reaching imperialistic government.

just my 2¢. I am certain I am in the minority here and I do know history is written by the victor. But that doesn't make what the victor (the nation not kyle specifically) did right.

Here is a good article that does a great job of articulating my point of view. The American Sniper Was No Hero - Reason.com

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Texas Aviator, and I consider you a good friend. For the cause, I have trouble disagreeing with you, the whole middle east would have been better off with Saddam Hussein left alone and in place today. As far as Chis Kyle, he did as any soldier is supposed to do and that is to follow orders and do everything he could to protect those he served with and those he believed he should protect, and he excelled at it, believed fervently in his orders and loved his country. To me, the man's a hero for doing what he believed in and the continuing willingness to die to do what he believed was saving others. The man did so way beyond orders, I don't think anyone get's ordered back for more than two tours. He believed he was making a difference and as do I believe he saved a lot of American lives. Regardless of how you feel about this Iraq war, Chris Kyle is a hero.

Hey, guess what, this war is not over, and is a long way from being over for the United States. b o was wrong for declaring it over and all the Extremist being on the ropes and on the run. No matter what your thoughts of W are or were, he was spot on when he said the war with terrorism would be long and I think he knew "Neverending!"

Sure, I'd like to button things up, bring all our forces home, quit meddling, have people either fight their own wars or be subjugated, but I realize that only works in theory, but never has in reality.

I have no doubt Chris Kyle was an adrenaline junkie, you have to be if you are going to ride bareback bucking horses or bulls. Chris Kyle rode bareback bucking horses, and I can promise, it was for the adrenalin rush, my middle son rode bulls. Nothing could make my son afraid of any bull enough to keep him off of the bull. If anything, the meaner the bull, the more my son would want to ride him.

After bulls or broncs, base jumping, flying suits, class 5 rapids, scaling a rock wall 4,000 feet up and all the other crazy crap a person can do, war is the ultimate sport. Imagine a 20 minute firefight and how many 8 seconds there are in 20 minutes.

I'm not saying all heroes are adrenaline junkies, many may never have had but one big adrenaline rush. One thing for sure, fear is an adrenaline junkies greatest assets. Without fear, there is no adrenaline rush. Sure, Chris Kyle was an adrenaline junkie, and we were damned well fortunate to have him on our side, he was a good man also, and he believed in good and evil and believed he was on the good side...what else really matters?

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Texas Aviator, and I consider you a good friend. For the cause, I have trouble disagreeing with you, the whole middle east would have been better off with Saddam Hussein left alone and in place today. As far as Chis Kyle, he did as any soldier is supposed to do and that is to follow orders and do everything he could to protect those he served with and those he believed he should protect, and he excelled at it, believed fervently in his orders and loved his country. To me, the man's a hero for doing what he believed in and the continuing willingness to die to do what he believed was saving others. The man did so way beyond orders, I don't think anyone get's ordered back for more than two tours. He believed he was making a difference and as do I believe he saved a lot of American lives. Regardless of how you feel about this Iraq war, Chris Kyle is a hero.

Hey, guess what, this war is not over, and is a long way from being over for the United States. b o was wrong for declaring it over and all the Extremist being on the ropes and on the run. No matter what your thoughts of W are or were, he was spot on when he said the war with terrorism would be long and I think he knew "Neverending!"

Sure, I'd like to button things up, bring all our forces home, quit meddling, have people either fight their own wars or be subjugated, but I realize that only works in theory, but never has in reality.

I have no doubt Chris Kyle was an adrenaline junkie, you have to be if you are going to ride bareback bucking horses or bulls. Chris Kyle rode bareback bucking horses, and I can promise, it was for the adrenalin rush, my middle son rode bulls. Nothing could make my son afraid of any bull enough to keep him off of the bull. If anything, the meaner the bull, the more my son would want to ride him.

After bulls or broncs, base jumping, flying suits, class 5 rapids, scaling a rock wall 4,000 feet up and all the other crazy crap a person can do, war is the ultimate sport. Imagine a 20 minute firefight and how many 8 seconds there are in 20 minutes.

I'm not saying all heroes are adrenaline junkies, many may never have had but one big adrenaline rush. One thing for sure, fear is an adrenaline junkies greatest assets. Without fear, there is no adrenaline rush. Sure, Chris Kyle was an adrenaline junkie, and we were damned well fortunate to have him on our side, he was a good man also, and he believed in good and evil and believed he was on the good side...what else really matters?
I definitely respect your position Jake, and I dont think we are far apart in most areas here. Dont get me wrong, as I said, in the narrow view of a military man protecting his comrades, I can find no fault in what he did. My only issue is the government (Texas in this case) making a big deal about it. From a macro government view we never should have been there and he never would have been put in the spot in the first place. If anything government should view the fact that he had to do what he did as a failure on their part.

Now if private citizens or even the DoD (yes I know they are government, but its different, they are not policy makers, just implementers) want to praise him, give him medals etc, I am 100% behind them.

As fare as horses... last time I had a concussion was off a green broke thoroughbred. I wasn't paying as much attention as I should, I was paying more attention to the girl I was with. I never rode competitively like your son, but I definitely understand the feeling! :D

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Again, I respect Chris Kyle for his loyalty and love of country, nothing else matters, he did it regardless of how much he loved doing it.

We would never win if not for men like this, and it is horrible to take wins away from men like him.

Never assume any soldier is less than a hero, no matter how far forward or how far to the rear they serve. At some point, those in the rear have found themselves at the front. Case in point was the T.E.T. offensive, there was no rear.

Again, never blame the soldier, he would have preferred to be somewhere else just doing a little cliff diving!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Again, I respect Chris Kyle for his loyalty and love of country, nothing else matters, he did it regardless of how much he loved doing it.

We would never win if not for men like this, and it is horrible to take wins away from men like him.

Never assume any soldier is less than a hero, no matter how far forward or how far to the rear they serve. At some point, those in the rear have found themselves at the front. Case in point was the T.E.T. offensive, there was no rear.

Again, never blame the soldier, he would have preferred to be somewhere else just doing a little cliff diving!
I'm not blaming him at all. Quite the contrary actually.

I blame the .gov for sending him there.

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
I'm not blaming him at all. Quite the contrary actually.

I blame the .gov for sending him there.
Then you realize why he is entitled to the medal of honor!

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Then you realize why he is entitled to the medal of honor!
I never said he wasn't. Thats not the topic of the thread.

I said Texas or the Feds or any other branch outside the DoD should not give recognition. Due to the nature of the MoH that is the only exception since the process (generally) starts inside the DoD and Congress (basically) approves it. I should have clarified that a bit in my earlier post.

My position is slightly different than the article. I differentiate between DoD, private citizens and the .gov in general.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts