Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the news reporter, The police said they dont recommend children grabbing a gun they should dial 911...I agree always sound the alarm for help. The problem is when seconds count the law is minutes away. PROPER Training and familiarization are the answer. She said she didnt know how to use it , I'll bet that will change real FAST!!!!
For years children where EDUCATED on gun handling and safety. It should still be that way.... I dread to think what the other headline would have been!!!

15-year-old girl scares burglars away with dad's gun while home alone in Texas City | abc13.com

TEXAS CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Officials said a teen in Texas City was alone when a pair of intruders broke into her family's house, but she turned the tables on the suspects by grabbing her father's handgun.

It happened Saturday afternoon at the 15-year-old's home on Meadowlark.

Texas City police said it wasn't a home invasion. They believe it was a burglary and the goal was to steal the family's truck. But the would-be thieves had a spunky high school freshman standing in their way.

"She says she was in the bathroom showering and when she came out she met two intruders inside her house," neighbor Anthony Campbell said. "She run and got her dad's gun. And when she come out, they saw her with the gun and took off."

Police say one suspect ran into the garage and tried to start her father's pickup. The girl told investigators she followed him in there, pointed the gun at him and he ran away.

The other man ran too, but they were able to ransack the house.

"She was hysterical, crying and stuff," neighbor Raylene Morgan said.

Morgan said the girl is smart and an A student, but the confrontation left her upset.

" went over and embraced her. Gave her a hug," Morgan said.

Fortunately, no one was injured. But police officers don't recommend teenagers confront people who are breaking into their home

"She didn't know how to use the gun. She just pointed it at them," Campbell said.

Police say an inexperienced gun user can easily have a gun wrestled away from them and end up getting shot.

"I feel blessed nothing really happened out of this here," Morgan said.

Police say people should teach their children to find a safe place to hide when an intruder threatens, and to call 9-1-1 immediately and call their parents second.

(Copyright ©2012 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I'd be proud if she were mine. Good girl.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
"Texas City police said it wasn't a home invasion. They believe it was a burglary and the goal was to steal the family's truck. But the would-be thieves had a spunky high school freshman standing in their way.

"She says she was in the bathroom showering and when she came out she met two intruders inside her house," neighbor Anthony Campbell said.

Let's see now...the police said it wasn't a home invasion...but when the girl came out of the bathroom she met two intruders in the house.

Something doesn't add up here. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Good for her!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MILPRO quote; [/B][/I]Let's see now...the police said it wasn't a home invasion...but when the girl came out of the bathroom she met two intruders in the house. Something doesn't add up here. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

THe law has the same outlook that Homeland security has about border security... they are breaking in illegally and for less than honorable reasons but its not an invasion--

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
To bad she didn't know how to use it and blow the little @##$$s away!!! I "hate" thieves!!!! It's hard enough to pay for anything these days but to have some sorry....... want to steal everything plus they could have really hurt that girl...Thank you Jesus for taking care of her!!!!

·
35,996 Posts
MILPRO quote; [/B][/I]Let's see now...the police said it wasn't a home invasion...but when the girl came out of the bathroom she met two intruders in the house. Something doesn't add up here. Just sayin'.
THe law has the same outlook that Homeland security has about border security... they are breaking in illegally and for less than honorable reasons but its not an invasion--
To quote Colonel Sherman Potter: "Horse hockey!"

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am glad that she ended up being OK. I just hope that now her parents teach her how to use it, especially since it is all over the news and her home has been broadcast to everyone. Maybe the next time the so called "burglars and not home invaders will get a case of chronic lead poisoning. This would be cheaper for the tax payers."

·
35,996 Posts

·
32,569 Posts
She did right as they say.

She should get free shooting lessons from a local gun range if they are so inclined.

Women are finding out more and more that they are responsible for their own safety and well being. They then take the steps to do so, God bless them.

If something happens to everyone else who's going to take care of her? More females are getting that.

Now if the females are shown this at a early age when they are ready to do so.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It would be ashame if someone didn't show her, she sound's like a level headed young lady.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Good for the girl and I hope they teach her to use the weapon.

Technically it is not a home invasion. The definition of home invasion seems to be written from the perpetrators point of view, not the victims.
If the perp's believe there is no one home it is a burglary, when someone is home, but the perps avoid the people, it's a robbery, but when someone is home and the perps want to terrorize the people in the home and use them to locate the "goods", it becomes an invasion.

To me if someone breaks into my home its a home invasion.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Police say people should teach their children to find a safe place to hide when an intruder threatens, and to call 9-1-1 immediately and call their parents second.
Inside your house should be a safe place! When do you call your parents?! After 9-1-1 puts you on hold!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Call 911? In ALL cases where I have had to call 911, the following rule applies: "911, when seconds count, the police are minutes (and sometimes over an hour) away!" Where was she supposed to hide when obviously the perps had already seen her. IMO her instinct to go get the gun was 100 percent correct and in this case the outcome was in the girls favor.

She done good and now her parents need to teach her how to shoot. She obviously already understands quite a bit of gun safety because she didn't go get the gun until she needed it.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Technically it is not a home invasion. The definition of home invasion seems to be written from the perpetrators point of view, not the victims.
If the perp's believe there is no one home it is a burglary, when someone is home, but the perps avoid the people, it's a robbery, but when someone is home and the perps want to terrorize the people in the home and use them to locate the "goods", it becomes an invasion.
So it's a legal fine point kind of like the manslaughter VS murder.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
That is the kind of young lady people can look up to!

+10 on the parents or someone teachng her to shoot safely and effectively!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,001 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts