Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a dope asking, but I don't want to screw up the order of things that have to take place to get my CHL... Do I need to take my course first, or do the online application first? Also, I can get the fingerprinting done as soon as I complete the online application, yes?

I am a first time CHL applicant, so this is a new dance for me...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Better to ask and do it right. You don't want to delay it any.
It has been so long and when I did mine they did our prints at the class, so honestly I can't give you any help.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I filled out my application before I took the course. When you fill out your application you will make your appointment to be fingerprinted. You can get your fingerprints done and put your packet together in advance. Once you complete your course, your instructor will give you the final signed form. I submitted my packet the same day.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Same here. I did all filing on line, fingerprints - got all the digital paperwork out of the way; took the CHL course, they issued certificate of passing requirements and supplied photo's - mailed those to DPS and had my plastic in 12 days after mailing final stuff. What I don't recall for sure is whether I knew before taking class that they would not deny my application due to background check - seems I knew when I took class that all needed was the pictures and class certificate.

I have to renew next year.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I filled mine out first, got printed then took the class last.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
The class I took in 2008 supplied the packets, took the photos, and a Law Enforcement Officer assisted with obtain our fingerprints. There might be different ways to do it now, you'll just have to check with the state or class instructor.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, it looks like you can in fact get the application done before taking the class, and this speeds things up. I'll do my application online this week and knock out the class next weekend. Appreciate it guys!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Her in Grand Prairie I went to a CHL Course that provides everything. Class, finger printing, picture, range shooting. They even provide the pistol and ammunition. It is taught by Dallas County Constables.

Top notch. They have the State packets in house.

I’m sure there are other places that provide the full package. That is the only way to go in my mind.

I think you got some good advice from the above comments. I got my CHL the first year it was available in Texas. Boy has the requirements changed since then.

Good luck.

djh

·
Registered
24,539 Posts
There you go. Now go and get it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts