Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw story on KHOU site, said Texas state legislature changed CHL rule about type of handgun carried (headed for governor's sig). Before, if you qualified with a revolver, you could only carry revolver. If you qualified with semi-auto, could carry either one. Never understood logic behind it, anyway. Anybody else seen this. I knew some CHL changes were being worked on but didn't know about this one.

Reactions: nut016

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
We have the same rule

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts

·
Administrator
40,554 Posts
I saw that and wondered why they devoted time to this. Qualifying with a semi-auto pretty much takes care of the issue anyway.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
May be I'm missing something here. I read a similar article in my local rag and questioned it's veracity. I qualified with a semi and was under the impression i could strap it on or a revolver with my CHL.

Previously, people licensed to have concealed handguns could only carry the type of pistol they used during their training and qualification.
This is not correct as I understand the current law. If the qualifying hand gun used is semi-auto, you were licensed to use either semi-auto or revolver - qualifying with revolver, revolver only. This was also expressed at our CHL class. I can see changing the law to allow either regardless of what was used to qualify. Either this or I'm completely misinformed about the existing law.

·
Super Moderator
35,531 Posts
May be I'm missing something here. I read a similar article in my local rag and questioned it's veracity. I qualified with a semi and was under the impression i could strap it on or a revolver with my CHL.
You can. I qualified with a SA so I could carry both. If you didn't previously know it, reporters are stupid. I think to get a journalism degree, one must have a lobotomy performed.

·
Super Moderator
35,531 Posts
I just got online and re-uped. I've been through two reups already, so I'm not supposed to have to have the course this time. It also said if your finger prints and passport photos on file are usable, they won't require THAT. I''ve often wondered about that. I don't know that I need to send in anything, but they sent me this e-m with a bar code that I don't know what's up with. I don't have a printer, can't print out the "checklist". Confusing stuff. I sent 'em an e-mail inquiring what I needed to do in plain English PLEASE.

·
Administrator
40,554 Posts
You're going to need to print out that form with the bar code, NT. They're going to want that sent in, as well as what they list on it, as required. It's really pretty simple.

·
Super Moderator
35,531 Posts
Yeah, unless you don't have a printer. I guess I'll make a run to the library in Hallettsville. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I qualified with both so they can kiss my hiney. How are the going to monitor that?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Now that you mentioned, Hallettsville we have a pretty good idea where (The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas) is!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the theory behind the difference, at least the way it was explained to me, is that the state sees a semi-auto as more complicated to operate. So, if you could fire a semi-auto, you were assumed to know how to load and fire a revolver. Where as if you qualified with a revolver, the state did not think you were smart enough to push a button to eject a magazine and slap a new one in and push the slide release.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think the theory behind the difference, at least the way it was explained to me, is that the state sees a semi-auto as more complicated to operate. So, if you could fire a semi-auto, you were assumed to know how to load and fire a revolver. Where as if you qualified with a revolver, the state did not think you were smart enough to push a button to eject a magazine and slap a new one in and push the slide release.
You do know the laws are written by politicians. I would venture that that is a justifiable distinction amongst that populace!

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
I always figured it was just one of those dumb things that get put in a bill to assure passage. Dumb things are added all too often! :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts