Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm meeting my wife in Austin on the 5th because I can't get off work on the 4th.
I'm going to hop on the Greyhound in Waco and meet her there.
Greyhound's policy is No Weapons of Any Kind but if they don't have the 30.06 sign they can choke on their policy as far
as the laws is concerned.

Anyone carry on Greyhound before?

I know I just need to drive down to the station and check for signage but what do y'all think; especial LEOs, retired or otherwise.

·
Administrator
40,574 Posts
You might want to check and see if you'll be wanded before boarding, as well as checking for the proper signage. I've never traveled by bus, but understand that no weapons are allowed as a matter of company policy. I agree with your view of the whole thing. If your discovered, at the very least you'll be verbally notified, and not allowed to board. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I don't travel by bus either but in meeting someone at a bus station I noticed that there were metal detectors and a "sort of" airline type process for baggage. I say "sort of" as it was very haphazard.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't travel by bus either but in meeting someone at a bus station I noticed that there were metal detectors and a "sort of" airline type process for baggage. I say "sort of" as it was very haphazard.
I was at the Waco location last year and there aren't any metal detectors that I say in the lobby; don't know about the boarding area.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Texheim let me give you this bit of info. I am taking this from Gutmacher's Florida Firearms book. Of course I know you don't live in Fl. but read this ok? The following quote comes after he writes about the requirements for interstate travel on a bus, which is the same as air travel, federal law controls.

"There is also a question whether this applies if you are traveling just in your state, but the bus or train you are on is traveling on an interstate run. If it is, I think the better advise is to follow federal law on this issue, as similar questions have come up on commuter aircraft flights, and it was determined against the passenger."

He doesn't say if the comment "determined against the passenger" was Fl. based or not.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious but thought I would share.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Texheim let me give you this bit of info. I am taking this from Gutmacher's Florida Firearms book. Of course I know you don't live in Fl. but read this ok? The following quote comes after he writes about the requirements for interstate travel on a bus, which is the same as air travel, federal law controls.

"There is also a question whether this applies if you are traveling just in your state, but the bus or train you are on is traveling on an interstate run. If it is, I think the better advise is to follow federal law on this issue, as similar questions have come up on commuter aircraft flights, and it was determined against the passenger."

He doesn't say if the comment "determined against the passenger" was Fl. based or not.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious but thought I would share.
Great, why am I now having flash backs to a court case involving a farmer selling produce in his state but on an interstate highway!?!

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
I'd just put it in your checked Luggage if you are concerned about it. I've never ridden Greyhound but I am assuming they have stuff they stow under the bus.

That said I agree with your interpretation. No 30.06 sign and all. Like Smoke said worst case scenario I can see is you getting verbally told and not allowed to board, then you are out the cost of the Ticket. I'm no lawyer though thats just my personal two cents!

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah, I'd want to carry on the bus more so than a commercial flight. In the city ( here) busses are off limits - a felon, like a federal building. The light rail is the same though there seems to be some willingness to change that.

I'd take a good hard look - missing the trip would be a bummer but heading to jail and losing your CCW - much worse! Given the latter I might go with checking the gun in a bag. Airlines do it - I'm assuming that there are ways to transport a checked gun on a bus too. Then I'd load up with other SD gear - body armor, knives, pepper spray, nunchuks, pointed sticks, smoke grenades, throwing stars, tazers, kubaton, night vision goggles, as many handcuffs as you can handle...

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I had to drop off a friend, who was taking the Greyhound from Western MI to Detroit (on his way to Canada). The bus ran from Chicago to Detroit (passing through Gary, IN). At the bus station in Benton Harbor, MI -- a few guys got out, and proceeded to light up a very unusual looking cigarette. Dense smoke and had a funny smell to it. No one said a thing to them. >:)

On a more serious note, I did not see any metal detectors or any kind of security. Again, might be a different situation in your city/state. If I was to travel by Greyhound, I would certainly be packing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Man, I gotta ask, that is only a couple hour drive, why take a bus? You could rent a car for less than $20 a day, gas should not be too bad on a 4 hour round trip drive and you would not have to sit on a bus with a bunch of wierdos (sorry bus people). Is taking a bus that much cheaper?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Man, I gotta ask, that is only a couple hour drive, why take a bus? You could rent a car for less than $20 a day, gas should not be too bad on a 4 hour round trip drive and you would not have to sit on a bus with a bunch of wierdos (sorry bus people). Is taking a bus that much cheaper?
Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A ticket is $27 and I'm not driving my own car because I want to be able to drive the wife and sister back in her car. Rental is $60 for the day.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A ticket is $27 and I'm not driving my own car because I want to be able to drive the wife and sister back in her car. Rental is $60 for the day.
Nope, just called $95.24.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
It's a tough call TH. Only you can make that final decision.

IMO $60 is a small price to be able to CC on the trip but I also understand wanting to drive back with all of you in one car.

Another option is getting a one way rental. I know it would be more money but it's something to consider.

Let us all know what decision you made and how it worked out.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Nope, just called $95.24.
Wow!! For a one day rental?? What do they have available? M1A1's?

I'm no expert on rental cars but weekend rates are usually cheaper, at least around here. What day of the week are you planning on traveling?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it the 'one way' dropoff fee killing you?!?! That's steep for a rental car!!!
That's the one way return the same flipping day!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow!! For a one day rental?? What do they have available? M1A1's?

I'm no expert on rental cars but weekend rates are usually cheaper, at least around here. What day of the week are you planning on traveling?
Friday.

An M1A1 would be sweet and I do believe I would gladly pay for the gas.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Sucks. Drive it down and caravan back and it's probably 19.99 a day!!

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
That's the one way return the same flipping day!
One way rates are high. I had one for two days that was around $500 once. (and it was just a normal car no Ferrari or anything!)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts