Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Testing out firearms, after non-use for a few months.

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  olfarhors 
#1 · (Edited)

#13 ·
Some types of lube is better than others for long term storage. As a machinist, most learn the hard way to NEVER used WD40 on precision measuring tools, it will gum them up in no time . I use Lucas gun lube on all my guns, and I'm sure their is something even better, still looking for it.
Rediculous. I've been using wd40 on guns for 50 years. The same guns of every kind. Autos, pumps, lever action, bolt action, revolvers and pistols, blued, stainless or nickel. Even muzzle loaders cleaned with soap and water. I'm still waiting for one to gum up. Never a single problem with any kind of gum up. Never a single problem with any harm to bluing, wood or finish. It does a fantastic job of protecting firearms. 50 years of hands on experience with wd40 on firearms and never a single problem. Rediculous.

#3 ·
I let the use dictate what lube I use.

BP?

Straight Ballastol (or however it's spelt). It won't react poorly to the fouling and don't cake up like others.

General use? Breakfree.

A bottomfeeder slide rails? i use the Outters Gunslik paste in the little toothpaste looking tube. It's thick and stays were I put it.

#5 ·
I like to do a periodic breakdown/deep cleaning on all of my defensive firearms, simply because I've found that regardless of what lubricant I use, dust always finds its way into all the nooks/crannies over time, then makes the lubricant into gritty gunk.

Granted, it has never resulted in malfunction, but better safe than sorry. I once did an experiment in which I didn't clean a gun for a year, then took it out to the range, no issues, but I would hate to take a blast of that gritty gunk to the face without eyepro in a self-defense situation.

#8 ·
I like to do a periodic breakdown/deep cleaning on all of my defensive firearms, simply because I've found that regardless of what lubricant I use, dust always finds its way into all the nooks/crannies over time, then makes the lubricant into gritty gunk.

Granted, it has never resulted in malfunction, but better safe than sorry. I once did an experiment in which I didn't clean a gun for a year, then took it out to the range, no issues, but I would hate to take a blast of that gritty gunk to the face without eyepro in a self-defense situation.
Thanks for your comment... I think that is what I'll need to do also regardless of the type of firearm, is try to check two different firearms a month that I have not used for a while and do some small preventive maintenance on them. Cleaning them before and after going to the range is not enough. That is my initial takeaway from my current test and trip from the range the other day. While I'm sure all my long term stored firearms will work, if there was some other longer engagement / situation (as rare as that may be) I definitely need to implement some small preventive maintenance on all them.

#9 ·
I've used Hoppe's, RemOil, and Breakfree CLP with no issues.
I'll admit I don't pull guns apart as often as many on here, only after an extended range trip (250 or more rounds) or annually.
Never had an issue yet but I do know that some guns are more sensitive to their cleaning regimen than others.
My Ruger 10/22 is the worst as I have had to clean it during an outing, Granted I've probably put over 10k rounds through it over 30 years.
Centerfire rifles and pistols are less sensitive, rimfire semiautomatic pistols are probably most sensitive to cleaning.

#10 ·
I've used Hoppe's, RemOil, and Breakfree CLP with no issues.
I'll admit I don't pull guns apart as often as many on here, only after an extended range trip (250 or more rounds) or annually.
Never had an issue yet but I do know that some guns are more sensitive to their cleaning regimen than others.
My Ruger 10/22 is the worst as I have had to clean it during an outing, Granted I've probably put over 10k rounds through it over 30 years.
Centerfire rifles and pistols are less sensitive, rimfire semiautomatic pistols are probably most sensitive to cleaning.
I totally agree with what you said that some guns are more sensitive to their cleaning regimen than others.. That was well said. And yes, I agree with that on semi auto's that are rimfire as well as the ammo that is used.. In my case, I wanted to try with that .22LR semi auto handgun (the GSG Firefly) and some rounds that I knew was a bit more on the dirty side regarding the primers used. Those with Remington Thunderbolts other than coming across a a dud / FTF, I still do like those when I can get them in bulk.. But CCI Mini mags and Aguila I like the best as they seem a bit cleaner.

#11 ·
I wouldn't just add oil. My experience is that too much lube causes more and worse failures than too little. If you feel compelled to relube, precede that with a cleaning. Not necessarily a thorough cleaning, but at least a wipedown to remove the old lube.

#12 ·
WOW!!
well myself anytime a weapon is fired it is shortly after cleaned and "Inspected" and placed back in either the safe or the holster for immediate use.
I have never doubted that the weapon would work if called upon, period!
I buy what i consider reliable firearms, I test them throughly before they are placed in service, I go long periods of time between shooting many of my firearms and have never had a single one not perform when called upon.
to me this is a non worry/concern.
pretty simple as the way "MURPHYS LAW" works--even if you just used the weapon the very next trigger pull it could go "Click" thats why you need to think ahead about what to do.

#19 ·
Youtube gun channel "gunblue490" says similar things about WD-40. Said when he was in Vietnam, soldiers would get care packages from the Red Cross that had a variety of things in them including cigarettes & a small can of WD-40. Soldiers would spray down their M16s with it including the magazines with ammo inside. Said the next time they went to fire their rifles at the enemy all they got was a "click." Seems the stuff penetrated the ammo past the primer seat to render the cartridge inert.

Reactions: Old_Sp5
#24 ·
The first use for WD-40 was to protect the outer skin of the Atlas rocket from corrosion. Not a lubricant at all.

Reactions: cnc1
#25 ·
eeeeewwww!
nothing uglier than an Atlas Rocket with a rash!

Cartoon Font Poster Line Happy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.