Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my sig226 9mm back from the shop the other day and figured I would buy some extra ammo. I got a couple boxes of standard 9mm and the sales guy says to me 'we have some of this new Zombie max ammo, its expensive but fun' I asked whats so special about it. He said 'well its 9mm hollow point and it makes a much bigger hole' Ok so I figure what the heck try it once. A box of standard ammo cost me around 12 bucks for 50 rounds... Zmax was 21 bucks for 25 rounds (must be made of gold)
I fired a few clips of each. There is ABSOLUTELY no noticeable difference that I can tell. My girlfriend says perhaps the target is too thin to make the hollows expand... that is possible but neither of us wanted to walk back to the house to get apples to explode.
IMO they are just a gimmicky novelty.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I think the only way to test them properly is to test them on zombies......:D

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
597 Posts
Zombie ammo is nothing special. It is one step down from the Hornady critical defense rounds with a different colored expander.really?

·
Registered
612 Posts
yea I laugh when I see someone with a box of them at the range.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol send me some zombies and ill test them properly.
Yeah they arent worth the cash imo.
But ill keep the box and the remainder and many years from now I will be able to look at the box and get a laugh out of it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I laugh at the box now! :icon_ laughup:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
and the salesman laughed all the way to the bank

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was in a hurry earlier. Sorry if the comment was rash or harsh. The Zombie Max ammo is more or less a novelty round. I mean sure you could use it at the range, but thats expensive stuff. As far as making a big hole as your dealer called it, if shot into soft tissue or ballistic gelatin it woild create a larve cavity as any expanding round would. Shootimg any ammo at paper is going to just go through said paper with a hole slightly larger than the round due to ripping of the paper. The Hornady company had a great idea buying into the whole novelty of the Zombie market and unfortunately your dealer took advantage of you, whether it was intentional or not is debateable.

I own a few boxes of the stuff. Mainly cause I think they are cool and make good conversation pieces. I even shot a box of it in .45 just to say I did. It is by no means bad ammo, but it isn' t range ammo either. Used as a self defense load is plausabile, however there is better ammo on the market for that. The only real difference is the color of the expander in the hollow points tip. My expander is a reddish orange where the zombie ammo is green. This expander used to be blue years ago.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Hornady Zombie max is loaded to the same specs as Critical Defense. The only difference is a green polymer flex tip as opposed to the red in Critical Defense.

I wouldn't use it in defensive situation --- read the "disclaimer" on Hornady's website (lawyer candy)

Zombie Max - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was in a hurry earlier. Sorry if the comment was rash or harsh. The Zombie Max ammo is more or less a novelty round. I mean sure you could use it at the range, but thats expensive stuff. As far as making a big hole as your dealer called it, if shot into soft tissue or ballistic gelatin it woild create a larve cavity as any expanding round would. Shootimg any ammo at paper is going to just go through said paper with a hole slightly larger than the round due to ripping of the paper. The Hornady company had a great idea buying into the whole novelty of the Zombie market and unfortunately your dealer took advantage of you, whether it was intentional or not is debateable.

I own a few boxes of the stuff. Mainly cause I think they are cool and make good conversation pieces. I even shot a box of it in .45 just to say I did. It is by no means bad ammo, but it isn' t range ammo either. Used as a self defense load is plausabile, however there is better ammo on the market for that. The only real difference is the color of the expander in the hollow points tip. My expander is a reddish orange where the zombie ammo is green. This expander used to be blue years ago.
No worries didnt seem harsh at all, I agree with pretty much all youve said about it. Just a standard hollow tip basically. I dont think the sales guy meant to rip me off, its just how he worded it I figured it would be something more than just a standard hole from a hollow tip. Although your right I probably should have gone with something other than paper targets.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hornady Zombie max is loaded to the same specs as Critical Defense. The only difference is a green polymer flex tip as opposed to the red in Critical Defense.

I wouldn't use it in defensive situation --- read the "disclaimer" on Hornady's website (lawyer candy)

Zombie Max - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc
Yep you are correct after further inspection it is the exact same round. Maybe the disclaimer is what had me thinking it was a little less powercul than the critical defense round. I did see the disclaimer first thing before I had ever bought mine. Maybe that green ball as opposed to the red one makes a difference....lol anyways I wouldn't trust my life to a box of rounds with that message on it, lawyer candy or otherwise. Just makes you wonder how long before all ammunition has to have a warning label. Well other than the standard garble.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
What a terrible disclaimer. They just made it a liability to have these laying around or in a magazine ! Some slick attorney will try, and probably successfully, to say that human beings aren't intended to be shot with this ammo. Never mind the absurdity of that argument, it will happen when some poor guy or gal has to use it to defend themselves. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
IMO, it's a marketing ploy. Kinda like Chrysler's "Hemi." A little different, nothing like the original, but no one knows that. (I have a Hemi, but it was not a critical issue when I bought the truck). I think it goes back to the old argument about shot placement versus round. As far as I'm concerned a well place shot with a .22lr is better that a sloppy hit with a .45.

·
Registered
612 Posts
wtf... ridiculous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts