Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on gunbroker looking at the various offerings and noticed some of the older firearms that were in used and/or abused shape. Some that had pitted metal or rust, some that had the bluing worn from barrels and others with dinged or dented wooden grips. I was thinking for around $200 or in the neighborhood some of those offerings would make great restoration guns. So my question is how many here have purchased a used or abused firearm with the intent of restoring it to its original glory? If so share your stories guys and if you have pics of before and after, all the better!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Okay..a winchester model 69A...Was my mothers dad's..and carved into the butt plate was "MG Nelson 1939"...my mom's dad. Went totally thru it breaking it down to the lowest level, ordering a new bolt, sanding it re-staining it and re parkarizing it , keeping the carvings...then giving it to my mom on her 70th B-Day.....she had no clue..

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I have a Winchester 37A single shot 12 gauge that needs a good bit of work. My aunt gave it to me when she was cleaning out her fathers closet, the barrel had about 3 inches of plaster stuck inside of it, the firing pin return spring is missing, the spacer between the forend and the receiver is broken on one side and there's alot of surface rust on the barrel and receiver. I cleaned off the heavy stuff on the outside, next step is to clean up the internals and check to see what other parts need replaced. Just haven't had time to do anything with it. I don't think i'll be taking it down to bare metal and refinishing it completely, i just want it in proper firing order and am actually kind of fond of the patina finish that the barrel and receiver have after rubbing it down with oil and steel wool. Here's a picture of it in the state i picked it up in, minus a few cobwebs at least.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I imagine it would if you use a coarse steel wool and the type of "blue" on the gun. If it's a true old school blue finish, probably not because the steel itself has been oxidized. If the "blue" is a sprayed on coating as most weapons tend to be these days, i imagine it will remove it. You can actually remove blue with the green scouring pads you normally use for dishes, they tend to be rather coarse yet durable.

Reactions: troutkiller

·
Registered
307 Posts
10/22 Liberty Training Rifle project "et Stoneknives"

Picked up a "well used" 10/22 in a flea market for a C note up at my Dad's place in NC. The rifle was filthy and had a wonderful "Richard Petty Blue" Testor's model paint, brush job and the stock looked like it had been used to club baby seals. Oh, and all the screws holes were stripped and filled with some glue to hold the scope rail on. Bubba had also over torqued the Action screw and crushed the wood and lost the sights.

The original idea was to part it out for cash but I felt sorry for the ol' unloved thing........so.

Drilled, filled, sanded, epoxied, bedded action, stippled/reshaped pistol grip, floated barrel, extended recoil pad, stained and the finished stock. The action and barrel were stripped, cleaned, polished, painted, baked, re-tapped holes 8-40, TechSights 200 adj peep installed, custom fitted rail added extra hole, steel barrel band, 1 1/4 swivels, modified Christie handguard and modified Christie flashhider . The trigger group was cleaned, painted, shimmed, new lite Wolff trigger/sear springs, heavy Wolff hammer spring, new SS receiver and trigger pins, T3 mag release and Christie auto bolt release.

The target is 10 shots, 20 meter's, slow fire, open sights and 53 year old eye's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I have a Winchester 37A single shot 12 gauge that needs a good bit of work.
I had a 37A that needed a little work, too. The biggest problem with mine was once the plastic forearm spacer was gone the forearm would pop off too easily when opening the barrel. Back then finding a replacement metal spacer was somewhat difficult. It looks like Brownells carries them now.

Of course, I refinished the wood and gave the receiver a try with cold bluing. The metal in that receiver was not really conducive to cold bluing, but it still ended up better looking than before. I had to paint the alloy trigger guard, which looks better but is prone to chipping. The blue on the barrel was plenty good, so I left it alone.

Here's an old poorly shot photo taken after the work was done. Obviously, I added a couple things to enhance follow up shots for bird hunting. One was a fear of that forearm popping off at the wrong time.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great Moisin rifle and I've got questions about it --- 1st is the barrel new or dehorned military - 2nd how or where did you get the bolt handle - 3rd who made the scope mount.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The 37's receiver's in the economy models were usually a "case" finish which made the metal surface very hard. Even hot blue had a hard time taking to them and if it took a color that was usually purple.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Great Moisin rifle and I've got questions about it --- 1st is the barrel new or dehorned military - 2nd how or where did you get the bolt handle - 3rd who made the scope mount.
Barrel was cut 4 inches. I sent the barrel\receiver and magazine\trigger guard to John Norrell to be coated gray. Both the bolt handle and scope mount are from rock solid industries. It is a great mount and as the name says, it is rock solid.

·
Premium Member
11,073 Posts
Barrel was cut 4 inches. I sent the barrel\receiver and magazine\trigger guard to John Norrell to be coated gray. Both the bolt handle and scope mount are from rock solid industries. It is a great mount and as the name says, it is rock solid.
Cut my barrel 4 inches also. I just used the ATI bolt handle/scope mount set on mine, and for a finish I just used engine paint from Auto Zone.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know that there are a lot more finished gun projects out there on this site... whip'em out and lets take a look at um girl's and guy's. Don't be shy.

I'll be starting my next project this week a Remington 597 AAC-SD set up as a Liberty Training Rifle and I'll be putting up pictures of the Marlin 795 set up for LTR.

After that I'll be redoing a Savage 99 straight stock in 308, but I gotta find a person who can checker worth a damn and not have me robbing the kids piggy bank. I'm not looking for fancy just clean and straight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Marlin 795 LTR for Appleseed

Here's the picture of the Marlin 795 LTR I put together. The Appleseed rifles have been my fun projects lately, I've pretty much finished a Remington 597 ACC as my personal LTR weapon. The other project's coming together besides the Savage 99 are a Marlin 336 30-30 SCOUT Rifle and a walnut stocked AR target rifle.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Salvaged J.C. Higgins

I came into possession from my dad a 1963 Sears and Roebuck J. C. Higgins 30-30 (Marlin) after he moved a few years ago. It had been stored for many years and forgotten. It was in very sad shape and I figured I couldn't really hurt it. Although it looked bad the bore was clean and the action, although gummed up was in good shape.

As you can see I completely disassembled it and thoroughly cleaned each part. Purchased missing and suspect parts and began my restoration. I stripped all the bluing off cleaned up the rust damage and reblued. Certainlly not a show gun but it looks better than before.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Night and Day difference, I'm starting a Marlin project myself I hope it comes out as good as yours.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here is a Very early Stevens Model 520 Browning Design, That I picked up on GunBroker. Been working on it for a few weeks, almost done. Just working on the wood now. Its been fun but a lot of work. Here is some pictures, starting with before pictures and following with progress pictures. When Im finished it will probably go back on GunBroker, Or would possible trade locally.

After:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts