Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new dealer that offers a very small but precise selection for specific niche firearm buyers. One "niche" caters to buyers that want a quality compact 9MM pistol that doesn't break the bank. I currently offer the Bersa Thunder UC 9 and just purchased a Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9MM and am excited about the possibilities. So far I like 4 of the 5 "F's To Live By" -- the fit, finish, feel, and features. The take-down doesn't thrill me compared to earlier Taurus models that I own personally, but if the fifth "F" -- function -- follows the reliability and accuracy of my other Taurus guns than it certainly is something I can live with. Looking forward to taking it out to shoot soon! :D

Please tell me why you like your 24/7 Pro. Specific details are appreciated. I'm interested in why you perhaps don't like it either or what features or problems you might have had. Also, if you have experience with the other (more expensive) pistols in it's class (ie: Glock, Springfield XD, FNP, Beretta PX4, CZ RAMI, Kahr PM, etc) I'd love to hear how you think the 24/7 Pro compares. Looking forward to your feedback!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I have a 24/7 .40 cal. I have never had any issues with this gun. It has been perfect. I recommend them to people looking for a new pistol. Not just because they are inexpensive but, because they are reliable and have that great Taurus waranty also.

One of my work buddies and my dad are very impressed with mine and I think they will each add one to their collections.

One thing that sold me on the gun was the grip. It just feels great in the hand. also the capacity is good. My 24/7 is a much softer shooting gun than my father in law's G23 that is ported. Must be because of weight and the grip. I also liked the fact that it has the manual safety although I never use it when I carry.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my 24/7 pro .45 because it fit really well in my hand and its still hi cap.

One of the selling points on that pistol is the way it feels in the hand.

I carry mine on my side with a inside the waistband holster with a size bigger button down shirt and you cannot tell its there.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Love the feal of the 24/7 9mm. Thats what first got my attention. After firing 1400 rounds through it without any issues I'm glad I made the choice to buy it. One of my favorite things is the smooth trigger pull. There is no grittyness like other guns and has a short reset that is very crisp.

I also have the XDsc9mm which is a great gun. The reason I got this was for cc. It has a good feel and good trigger and also no issues. I was really stuck on deciding to buy a 24/7 compact or the xdsc but no local dealers have the 24/7c and everytime they tell me one is coming something always happens like a delay or sold to a friend of the owners. I'm not a big fan of buying guns on the internet cause I like to see my purchase first hand. So I got the XDsc with no regrets. If a local dealer does get one in I probably wouldn't hesitate to pick it up though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My 24/7c in 9mm is comfortable to shoot and accurate. 'Second Strike' is a great feature for defensive carry as well. It also carries well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also have the 24/7 Pro 45. It did have a firing pin issue but Taurus repaired it under warranty. Like the hi capacity mag. I use it for my concealed carry behind my back inside the waist holster. Love the grips and it shoots great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi! I went to the gunshop today trying to make up my mind about my next purchase. Something you should know is that I live in Portugal and this afternoon I handled a 24/7 pro 9mm and guess what? No heinie sights.
The gun has 3 dots sights instead. I also handled the PT 917 and the PT 92 and guess again? It was a brand new 92 AFS without picatinny rail (for the old style lovers).
I´m in love with the 24/7. It felt so good in my hand. I think I have make my choice.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I bought a 24/7 Pro in .40 cal. The first reason I looked at it was because it was a Taurus. I had a PT92 before and I really liked it. I got my concealed carry and wanted a larger caliber gun. I knew I wanted a Taurus for a couple of reasons. First was the price, second was the locking mechanism that Taurus uses.

I saw the 24/7 in my local dealer's case. Once I held it I fell in love with the ribber grip. The weight was just right. I really loved the look of the stainless model. I chose the .40 mainly because the .45 did not have the ribber grip. I also like the .40 because it seems to be a nice medium between the capacity of a 9 and the power of .45 cal.

I am jealous now that the 24/7's are coming out with a decocker feature and a cocked/uncocked indicator.

jmg said:
Hi! I went to the gunshop today trying to make up my mind about my next purchase. Something you should know is that I live in Portugal and this afternoon I handled a 24/7 pro 9mm and guess what? No heinie sights.
The gun has 3 dots sights instead.
Some models will still have the Heinie sights. I believe the 24/7 Pro DS models will have the 3 dot sights.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I also have the 24/7 Pro 45 cal and what really sold me was the ergonomics - the way it feels in your hand when you hold it. Pointing is very natural, and very comfortable.

To relate how much I love my Taurus 24/7, I traded in my Ruger P series 45 cal for it, and I really liked that gun. But I like my 24/7 more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 24/7's are what brought me to this site. I never looked at Taurus seriously; they had a pretty bad rap. I was interested in the 24/7 features, it looked like the ideal pistol. I bought a .45 from a private individual at a good price. We had a small pumpkin that was headed for the trash anyway, so I took it out back. For the first time, I put all my rounds in the same spot with a .45! I was impressed. Then a 9mm version showed up at my FFL... it's on my hip, well, 24/7...

·
Registered
174 Posts
i got started on taurus because i shot one and then researched it and found nra's write up on it etc. after owning my first, the reason i bought my 2nd, 3rd, etc.... is out of all the taurus firearms i own the only one that has ever jammed on me is the pt 908, my 5 gallon brass bucket is now over half full of taurus fired brass . value is also a big issue, i consider this one of the more inexpensive modern carry style pistols around, as i can consistanly by the 24/7's or milleniums for under $329 at our local gunshop new and used there are some real deals to be found, you can't touch any comparable firearm for that. i wear a size 18 ring and find the grip real nice, not so for most other firearms. i love the loaded chamber indicator as well.

#1 function/reliability
#2 price
#3 comfort both in carry and shooting
#4 appearance
#5 ego- ability to own more than one or two guns (see #2)

only negative i have are those goofy heine sights, but my newest 24/7 has standard sights, so i think taurus is trying to redeem themselves. extra mags are pricey, and no laser grips exist.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
I am jealous now that the 24/7's are coming out with a decocker feature and a cocked/uncocked indicator.
You're not the only one... =(

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the safety which is purely personal preference, but for this same reason I don't care for the XD, Glock, or M&P. Fits the hand great, no function problems so far, shoots well, and a decent factory trigger. This 24/7 will take Taurus to the next level in reputation I believe. I agree that I the take-down has something to be desired.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I forgot to mention the DA/SA feature of this gun. It is the primary reason I chose the Pro over an older version of the 24/7. The other being the grips.

I'm curious. What is it about the takedown that you guys don't like? The 24/7 is only my 2nd pistol and I thought it was fairly easy to disassemble. I don't really like having to dry fire it first though.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I don't find anything about the takedown that is 'bad' per se - I do find it....interesting....that you have to pull the trigger to pull the slide off though. I've always trained myself to keep my finger out of the trigger area, and I always hesitate and re-re-recheck the chamber before I do this.....just makes me nervous, I guess. Other than this, it's a very basic, easy takedown, easier than even my old Ruger 45 that I don't have anymore - you had to stick your finger down the chamber opening and push the extractor forward, then pull the barrel off......but still fairly easy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I don't find anything about the takedown that is 'bad' per se - I do find it....interesting....that you have to pull the trigger to pull the slide off though. I've always trained myself to keep my finger out of the trigger area, and I always hesitate and re-re-recheck the chamber before I do this.....just makes me nervous, I guess. Other than this, it's a very basic, easy takedown, easier than even my old Ruger 45 that I don't have anymore - you had to stick your finger down the chamber opening and push the extractor forward, then pull the barrel off......but still fairly easy.
the Glock is the same for takedown, release the firing mechanism/connecting sears/links/"whatever they are called" between the frame and slide first before removal of slide.

Mine is the .45 24/7, and I'm only claiming that one poly framed pistol had anything over the Taurus. That one was a Glock 36 that I couldn't make malfunction, misfeed, or otherwise have an operator induced error short of dropping the gun. I don't quite have the round count through my Taurus yet, but it does look promising for replacement on that kind of pedestal. The only issue that I've had is with a mag, and I think that one was operator caused: the feed lips became too tight for reliable functioning. It was a possible dropping issue, fixed by the operator after close diagnosis and inspection. Otherwise the pistol is one nice tool to be carrying around; ease of concealment, ergonomics, capacity, and functioning/feeding anything are prequisites for my carry pistols. The 24/7 meets all the criteria nicely; with size being the only possible negative, as compared to the 36 (with over a doubling of capacity, this becomes a moot point for me)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doctor_Venkman said:
I'm curious. What is it about the takedown that you guys don't like? The 24/7 is only my 2nd pistol and I thought it was fairly easy to disassemble. I don't really like having to dry fire it first though.
Purely from an ease of take-down perspective: you have to pull the disassembly latch out (which, on my brand new 24/7 takes a lot of work because it's in there pretty tight) -- I don't like having to keep track of a small black part that can easily get lost depending on the circumstance. Then, when re-assembling you have to remember to move the barrel fully forward in the slide otherwise you'll be pushing that latch until kingdom come and it won't go in. So my hands must simultaneously hold the frame in a safe and ergonomic position while fingers are inserting the latch and other fingers are maneuvering the barrel into the proper position -- not impossible, but not as easy as a couple of other polymer pistols that I own (FNP-9 and Walther P-99)

·
Registered
92 Posts
[/quote]

Pulling that little take down pin requires a tool of some sort. Little flat blade screw driver works the best for me. But most others merely require pushing something down(Glock, Beretta PX4) or turning a lever up or down(M&P, Beretta 92 & Cougar, Taurus 92,99,100,101, Sig, XD), so super simple, no tools, and no little parts to lose. I think the Taurus 800 series breaks down like the Glock to release the slide from the frame. So far that is my only complaint about the 24/7 that is a phenomenal firearm and a tremendous value.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
The takedown pin gets easier to pull out as you put more rounds through the gun. Mine, as well as my sons, are fairly easy to remove now - push it down to 6 o'clock, then pinch it and pull it straight out.

·
22,058 Posts
The takedown pin is not difficult once you figure out the trick. I didn't understand exactly what the instructions meant at first. Now its a breeze. I lock the slide back and rotate the pin down. I grab the top of the slide and rack it back about 3 or 4 times and the pin pops out a little. Then I set the slide lock and with the tips of my fingers remove the pin. When I release the slide lock I slowly move the slide forward until it is in the breech closed position. At that point I pull the trigger and the slide releases the rest of the way forward.
I had to do this a few times before I had the right touch and for the operation to go smoothly.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts