Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Glock, haven't had any burning desire to buy one but figure that if it's so popular among shootists that there must be something to them The closest I've come is to fire a magazine from my friend's Glock 26.

I am fairly handy having built a Colt Navy replica in the distant past.

What is the cost advantage to building one? Difficulty? Any other advantages. It's still legal to do so, yet the finished product could never be transferred or sold as I understand it.

Is it better to build one or look for a deal on a LE surplus turn in sale? Are special jigs required like an 80% AR lower?

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I did some looking and they can be an 80% like an AR. They do need a jig to finish them. I like the idea but the reality for me says I would never get it complete.
I googled it, found a lot of info but didn't save any links.

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
They come with a jig. If you are looking to save money the le trade ins are where you should be looking. If you are interested in customizing a glock type handgun, the 80% lowers are a good choice. But it will cost you at least as much as a new glock once finished.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The Polymer80 kits can be had with, or without a serial number. They come with everything necessary to finish the lower receiver, that means the jig, drill bit and a mill bit. I can complete the final 20% in about 15 minutes now if I am in a rush. I drill the pin holes first. I don't use the mill bit as I now have a much better, faster method using nippers and diagonals, then finish up grinding with a Dremel with the small sanding drum. After that it is just cleaning up and dressing the edges for appearance with files and fine sand paper. I really spend most of my time getting rid of rough edges and polishing everything up on the front and rear rails, as well as all the other parts.

If you know what you want, i.e., carry or range toy, you can build one pretty cheap by shopping around and catching the sales. It is usually when you try to go all out in the fancy milled slide department, or get hung up on brand names, is where the costs will get out of hand.

Cheapest method by far is getting a cheap LEO turn in for under $300 and then just building one of the Polymer80 frames for it. I started out with a LEO turn-in G23. The frame was slick from wear, but the barrel and slide were in great shape. Later when I learned how to stipple, I cut the finger grove off the G23 frame, stippled it and put the original slide and barrel back on it. Of course the spare parts accumulated and led to the next build, and so on.

I have done about 6 of these now and in the course of building them I have become pretty proficient in triggers jobs. Only parts I change on the trigger are the connector and trigger shoe. I like the cheap Ghost 3.5lb connector (There are several of them and they run $10-$13) and a custom trigger shoe (either a Keneti-Tec or a Suarez Face Shooter, both are fairly cheap but really improve the pull), the rest are OEM parts that I grind off all the rough edges and polish.

Building these things is not hard and does not require anything more than general expertise, knowing your way around hand tools, and a little patience. They are really easier than an AR...and about twice as addictive. But essentially, the more time you spend cleaning up and polishing parts the better the gun will be.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
So here is my estimates on what are average costs for a Polymer80 build:

Upper or slide parts kit will run about $70 without the recoil spring and guide. Some places will throw in a SS guide and spring for another $10. I don't know if billet extractors work any better, but they look cool and 80pBuilder has them for $27.

Lower or frame parts kit will run about $50 with OEM parts. IMO, they do not have to say Glock to be OEM, I have yet to see any significant difference in quality between Lone Wolf, Glock, Shadow Systems, or 80Pbuilders.

Basic Barrels will run about $120, fluted about $160 and so called premium barrels about $220. About the only real difference between barrels is appearance. You will find quality basic barrels around $100 on sale if you look around. I picked up an Agency basic barrel TiN anodized but with a sunken/flush crown for $80 last year, so the finds are out there.

Stripped Slides can be found for around $180, but the high end customs will run considerably more. Brownells and Rock Slide have good basic slides and they often run them on sale with optics cuts thrown in. I like Rock Slides basic slide with its Sig 320 style cut, but if you are just looking for the forward slanted cuts, 80pBuilder has their own version with the forward slanted cuts also made by Rock Slide for about the same prices. In general, I do not like open or window cuts in a carry pistol, but they are fine for range toys/competition guns.

Polymer80 frame comes in a number of sizes and colors. I look for sales that take the price below $100. If you want custom stippling, send it off before doing any work on the frame, afterwards you must treat it as a gun and go through a FFL. Same with serial numbered Polymer80 frames, they must go through an FFL.

The basic Glock Trigger comes with the lower parts kit, or you can purchase them from Brownnels for about $14. 98% of the custom triggers on the market (the other 2% being true custom trigger shops) come with a custom trigger shoe and the trigger and ejector block are OEM. If they come with a connector it is usually OEM, or maybe a basic 3.5lb connector. I usually remove the trigger bar from the OEM trigger that came in the LPK, polish it and put a custom trigger shoe on it, much cheaper that way. I like Keneti-Tec and Suarez's Face Shooter shoes. I love the feel of the Keneti-tec but it only comes in black, although there are 4 different styles you can choose from. Suarez's Face Shooter is a bit cheaper (plus they run on sale a lot) and come in many colors, which is good if you are trying to match with the rest of the pistol hardware. I am putting Ghosts $10 connector on all of my Glock and Glock clones now. There are several of these basic 3.5lb connectors from them (Army, Marine, Ranger, Avenger, Lady) and they all do the job well, and I like them better than anything else I have tried.

Go for the extended slide release, they are worth the difference. NDZ is starting to offer them in different colors now too. Polymer80 frames only need standard height mag releases due to the cutout around the mag release. NDZ is a good place to find all the hardware, including pins, in your color of choice, plus I have developed a fondness for their aluminum mag release, they just feel better than OEM to me.

Sights are another area of personal preference, but you should be able to find tritium night sights that appeal to you for around $75, and that includes suppressor height sights which I am finding are a little faster than low sights.

Found this site which has many links today, thought it might be helpful: http://tacticalconsiderations.com/rock-slide-usa/

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Have at it and good luck!

After all, it's your leg.:p

·
Super Moderator
36,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it sounds as if a basic build is around $500.00 Plus 250-300 if it gets fancy. If I succumb to the Glock urge, I'll most likely be searching for LE used equipment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Check out fandffirearms.com they are running a deal right now for 399 shipped you get a complete gun kit minus the magazines.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Be careful... To paraphrase the line from "A Christmas Story", "You'll shoot your leg off with that thing."

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
So it sounds as if a basic build is around $500.00 Plus 250-300 if it gets fancy. If I succumb to the Glock urge, I'll most likely be searching for LE used equipment.
It certainly doesn't sound that cost effective. Of course, I've never actually WANTED a Glock. :rofl:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
.....what happened to the delete button?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
How about a Glock that holds like a 1911? The Polymer80 fixes most of the issues with Glocks, and if you replace the barrel with an aftermarket barrel, it fixes all of the issues with Glocks. So a Glock clone that doesn't feel like a 2x4 in your hand, can shoot cast bullets, does not give fired rounds the "Glock Bulge" and just simply looks better. Then it has the good things about a Glock, like accuracy and reliability.

It is not about the cost since you really can't sell them. It is about making something with your own skills that ends up being better than the original.

There is one major drawback....they are more addictive to build than ARs.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
Be careful... To paraphrase the line from "A Christmas Story", "You'll shoot your leg off with that thing."
All I can say is that being here from Georgy and near Symrna if you ever get to tour the Glock Factory just take note how many of the employees are handicap and use canes, walkers and wheel chairs!
that's all I got to say about it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,318 Posts
How about a Glock that holds like a 1911? T
OK thats just plain wrong and vicious right there!
no call for you to be saying such things!!!
isn't there a forum rule about such???
IF not there should be!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
just like a Glock and a 1911 had babies.

Poly80V2 flip.jpg

Sig Clone e.jpg

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I shot my grand daughters G19 once in the past . Compared to my PT24/7 DS it felt cheap and like a toy water gun . Now grant it many ppl love Glocks and I won’t condemn that . But I won’t ever buy one . My GD shot my PT24/7 and the only complaint she had was it’s a 17+1 and it weighted slightly more . I told her that’s because it’s a real gun .......... :rolleyes: . She has sold her G19 since then ;) .

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I always wondered tho why is it that when there’s a shooting and police are involved , why do they always have to empty their gun before they’re sure the perpetrator is stopped ?? Never understood that ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts