Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a gun store North of Dallas today looking for a snubnose 38 as I just could not get used to my Ruger lcr that weighs 13 ounces. Mixed in with 15-20 used Smith and Ruger revolvers was this Rossi 685 that was in perfect shape and had a really tight lockup and a very nice trigger. Has a pinned barrel and even came with a set of pachmayr compact grips which I am sure I will appreciate. I held it and also a Smith 36 and could tell little difference. The price was great so I brought it home and I don't think it has been fired. It says interarms on the frame which I assume is the importer. I have several old taurus revolvers that have been great but never had a Rossi. Anyone know when these were made and what the difference is between the 685 and 68 model.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
37,226 Posts
I can't help on the age, but suspect that the gun pre-dates their affiliation with Taurus. I have a newer Rossi R-462 and like it a lot.

Nice looking wheelgun!

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
901 Posts
Truckist- nice Rossi you picked up there, looks great and I bet it shoots even better. Enjoy.

Cut and pasted this info from the Smith and Wesson forum from a guy who had similar questions:

I wish I could narrow down when the M685's were made. I've read at several places that
Interarms imported Rossi's from 1978-1998 (roughly). I checked a couple of pistol catalogs from the 1990's that I have, and in 1994 they advertised the Rossi blue steel model I have as the 68, and the stainless version as 88. Then, in a 1996 catalog I have it showed them with full shrouds for the ejector rods on these little 5 shot .Rossi .38's (which mine doesn't have).

So I'm guessing the
M685 was produced somewhere between 1978 - 1994. But it's just a guess.

UPDATE: After a number of google searches on M68 &
M685, I finally stumbled upon references to M885's (the stainless version of 685). Seems the 685 & 885 were made in between different runs of the 68 & 88 (between 1989 & 1993 roughly, as best I can guess).

Some of the early 1980 versions of the 68 & 88 I
saw referenced on line and in old advertisements had the near-flat, rectangular thumb ejectors like the 1950's J-frames (they also had a crude adjustable rear sight & were primarily 3" barrels). Mine has the thumb ejector that is actually shaped like a thumb (you know, like S&W used from 1960's thru til the early 1990's on all their revolvers), and is a standard 2" snubby barrel w/ fixed front & rear sights.

I do know it's very clean and tight, perfect timing, very
light drag line on the cylinder, and was not shot much. Once I check it out at the range, I think it will make a good "kit" gun.

[HR][/HR]

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Those are better guns than they are given credit for.

Interarms was a big importer. They started out importing military surplus weapons. You know all those stories you hear from the old guys about mail-order $25 Mausers? That was mostly Interarms. When the surplus was dwindling they started importing all kinds of stuff. They were the exclusive U.S. importer for Walther and a bunch of other brands. They were also the original exclusive distributor for Armalite. There's a lot of guns marked Interarms and some are really quite interesting.

I can't date their relationship with Rossi exactly. I think it started sometime in the late 60's / early 70's and ran into the 90's. Your gun is giving off an 80's vibe to me. But don't take that to the bank and try and cash it.

There's no historical data so you've got to rely on the (always suspect) memory of a bunch of old guys.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the responses. i actually was able to shoot it last night before dark and i was quite impressed with the little rossi. i am no expert marksman but with the pachmayr compac grips on it this thing is very accurate at combat distances. i was also surprised how tight the lockup is on all 5 cylinders it is like a ruger. could not be happier with my purchase. thanks again

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Went into a gun store North of Dallas today looking for a snubnose 38 as I just could not get used to my Ruger lcr that weighs 13 ounces. Mixed in with 15-20 used Smith and Ruger revolvers was this Rossi 685 that was in perfect shape and had a really tight lockup and a very nice trigger. Has a pinned barrel and even came with a set of pachmayr compact grips which I am sure I will appreciate. I held it and also a Smith 36 and could tell little difference. The price was great so I brought it home and I don't think it has been fired. It says interarms on the frame which I assume is the importer. I have several old taurus revolvers that have been great but never had a Rossi. Anyone know when these were made and what the difference is between the 685 and 68 model.
Nice looking revol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I picked up the same revolver a few years ago. It is my one and only Rossi handgun.
Mine was in fantastic shape, just like your picture, the tag was $220 and I bought it.

It mainly rides in the back pocket of my jeans around the farm. My HKS Speed Loader for my Taurus J-frame seems to be a bit wide to line up with the cylinder holes, but according to HKS it should fit.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nice pick up there Truckist, enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts