Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you read that right. Firing out of battery. The manager of the range was kind enough to allow me to fire a hodgepodge of .380 ammo to see if we could narrow the cause; all with the same result. Pretty alarming AND dangerous to say the least.. Funny thing is, if the slide DOES return to full battery, it will NOT fire. I'm pretty certain this is related, but the firing pin is striking the primer very far off center as well. I've included some pics for everyones enjoyment.

I tried to complete the online workorder form on the Taurus website, but got an error every time I tried to submit it. :mad: All of this, in addition to the slide catch spring coming out of the grip every time I disassemble it has my relationship with Taurus off to a bad start.

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
I just got my TCP back yesterday. I just called them and spoke with CS. You can explain your problem and they will be more then happy to help you out and send you a shipping label

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
HMM! while the range manager might have had good intentions its not a good idea to fire a weapon with such a condition!
thats against all the safety features built into the pistol and it should be immediately sent back to the manufacture for replacement, contact Taurus and they will arrange shipping back to them.
how long have you owned the weapon? if less than 1 year they should pick up shipping both ways to the repair depot.
good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
After two of those, mine would be factory-bound. Scary.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello,

Why would you do that?

Every auto-loading pistol will allow the slide to move before the trigger is disconnected from the system. For a 1911 the distance can be .090 or maybe more and is a function of the disconnector and slide. Recall that the purpose of the disconnector is to disconnect the trigger so that it can be reset. The safety issue with moving the slide back to the disconnector limit is unsupported case area. The farther away from the breachface you move the case allows more of the case to be unsupported by the barrel chamber.

Fortunately a .380 is a low pressure round with cylinder pressure even lower than a 45ACP. (.380ACP = 18,000psi, 45APC = 18,600psi, 9mm = 34,000psi) (recall a .380 is a short 9mm so the case is OK)

You should have taken pictures of the side of the case near the rim to see if the case bulged......this is the real problem firing out of battery...not off center primer strikes....

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the good news is, the gun is on its way to Miami as we speak. We shall see. Thanks for the comments.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, the good news is, the gun is on its way to Miami as we speak. We shall see. Thanks for the comments.
Please let us know what difference it makes.......I doubt there will be much difference because what you described is an integral part of the pistol design.....

Rgsd
Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
FWIW......I just checked my TCP to find it does the same thing as yours.......But I will not send mine back.......because it is not necessary....

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW......I just checked my TCP to find it does the same thing as yours.......But I will not send mine back.......because it is not necessary....

Rgds
Eric
Which are you referring to? By the way I read that, it seems like you're saying nothing is wrong with it.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Good for you...there's no reason to let a perfectly good lifetime warranty go to waste. ;)

As a word of encouragement, last year I sent in my TCP which I had owned and frequently fired for sixteen trouble-free months. Then, one morning, the slide began locking back after every shot. I returned the pistol to Taurus, and after it went before the review board, Taurus graciously replaced it with a new one.

Let us know how it all turns out for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, MilProGuy. I'm looking forward to hearing from them. I will say their customer service is top notch. I had the call tag in my email before the call was concluded.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
I would think that the off center firing pin mark could be due to the weapon firing while not fully in battery, the tilt barrel was likely not flush in line with the breechface and was hitting it off center, seems strange that it would not fire in battery as well?
anyway let us know how it comes out for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would think that the off center firing pin mark could be due to the weapon firing while not fully in battery, the tilt barrel was likely not flush in line with the breechface and was hitting it off center, seems strange that it would not fire in battery as well?
anyway let us know how it comes out for you.
That's what I had mentioned in my OP that i was relatively sure the off-center strikes were due to the OOB condition. They received the weapon this morning. I'll let y'all know the verdict as soon as I get it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts