Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the site and seem to be having a problem with my new TCP. This is not happening with my full size pistols only this new one. I am shooting low every time, 6" low at 3 & 5 yards. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I notice that I am not as accurate with mine as I am with my other guns. Due to the shorter barrel and the low profile sights, any movement is magnified on the target.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frustrates me, I'm thinking maybe I'm pulling it down some unknowingly during the trigger pull? Don't know just thinking. But I did let my son shoot it and he has same results

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Have you tried different brand or weight ammo? Have someone load the magazine or you with a snap cap in it. Then video tape you shooting. When you get to the snap cap the video will tell if it is you or the gun.

Good luck and
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have you tried different brand or weight ammo? Have someone load the magazine or you with a snap cap in it. Then video tape you shooting. When you get to the snap cap the video will tell if it is you or the gun.
It is probably due to the small grip. Snap caps helped me with my single-stack 9mm. I didn't even need to video tape it - I could actually watch myself "pull" down during the trigger pull. I have found my TCP to be remarkably accurate considering how small it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shot it a little more today and paid more attention to my grip and how I was pulling the trigger. Much better today !!! I'm feeling more confident with it now. Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
My first trip to the range with mine was getting used to the trigger and sights. After a little bit, I found that semi rapid fire of entire magazine could hit center mass from 7 yards away. Pretty much as accurate as I can expect.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
With fixed sight guns you generally change the ammo to move the POI up, down, left or right until POI is roughly POA. I usually shoot a lot of different ammo during break in to see what shoots closest to my POA. For shooting low you might try Rem Golden Sabers (102 grains). In general heavier bullets shoot higher, but that is not always the case and every brand and bullet type will shoot to a slightly different POI, some more than others.

Low and left, or low and right(left handed), are generally issues associated with being new to a gun and its trigger. Snap caps and lots and lots of dry firing will help the most, but you may have other issues that dry firing can not fix, like unbalanced stance, limp wristing, or head movement. These little auto pistols will magnify any shooting problems or bad habits you have, so do not be upset that what works for your full size auto pistol is not working at all for your 738. Here is a right handed chart on diagnosing your problems. If you are left handed flip the chart horizontally.

Here is a couple targets of mine at 25 feet, unsupported one hand hold, rapid fire 2 magazines (13 rounds) and I am not the best of shots by any means.

Without looking up the dates, I think these targets are about a year apart, so they are more like my normal performance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first couple of times I shot my TCP I was all over the place... just keep practicing. Get a snap cap and practice firing while balancing an empty shell on the barrel. When you can fire without the shell falling off you should do much better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.