Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to these forums and new to Taurus handguns with the recent purchase of a TCP. I'm loving it so far. It's been great at the range.

Initially I purchased an Uncle Mike's size 2 pocket holster (pictured below). It completely covers the trigger guard, but it is impossible to draw from. It never stays in my pocket.

So I purchased a DeSantis Super Fly (pictured below). The major benefit to this holster is that it stays in my pocket and allows for an easy draw. The quality is clearly much higher than the Uncle Mikes holster. My only hesitation with this holster is that the trigger guard is not fully covered. The trigger itself is covered, but the trigger guard is not. (Another minor negative is that the bottom of the holster is open - this may allow for lint to get into the gun).

What are some opinions? Is this trigger guard coverage on the DeSantis sufficient and safe? I never carry any items in the same pocket as my gun. If so, the DeSantis is the no-brainer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
1st, Welcome from SE TX! I don't pocket carry my 738, I use a Talon iwb. But I'm sure someone will stop by to help you out.

·
Administrator
39,914 Posts
You're gonna like that SuperFly! I have one, and with that removeable flap, you'll soon discover how versatile that holster can be. :thumb:

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I carry that exact gun and Desantis holster. I think it covers enough of the trigger guard to be effective or the Desantis people would have it configured a different way. At some point you have to have faith in lawyers and there ability to smell any potential lawsuits. ;)

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Oh and I clean my carry gun every week to get any lint or whatever out of it. If you are worried about lint then get a Sneaky Pete holster.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome from the Florida panhandle! I only have the Mikes holster for my TCP. I agree that it is very difficult to draw, and the holster will end up who knows where when you do manage to draw from it. I don't have another holster at the moment for comparison. I wouldn't think that lint would become a huge issue with the open end of the DeSantis holster unless you have a large amount of lint in your pocket.

That said, I usually remove my gun from the holster before I put it in my pocket and when I am putting it away and give it a short inspection - check mag, look for excess dirt & pocket stuff, etc. Your mileage may vary, but I haven't noticed a lot of dirt, grit, lint accumulating on either my TCP or my other pocket pistol. I don't have any IWB/OWB holsters, so I pocket carry when I carry.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That UM holster sure does look like it could come out with that gun on the draw lol. Have you tried a different size holster? Seems like a size 4 might give you a smoother draw.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The trigger is covered enough especially since you don't carry anything else in the pocket with the gun. With the long trigger pull of the TCP, you should not have a problem. The lint issue should also not be a problem if you get in the habit of weekly cleaning and inspection of the gun. I carry my TCP in a Blackhawk 03 pocket holster in my back pocket. That works for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your wisdom. Excited to be a part of the Taurus community. My TCP has been a great addition so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Remora holster works great for front right pocket for me. Covers trigger and is easy to draw from. At least during practice, I haven't had to draw under fire. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
What you have is fine, but if you should like hip-pocket carry, take a look at Uncle George leather wallet holsters made specifically for your gun. It's great with Wranglers available at Walmart and Wrangler Twenty's available at western-wear stores.

·
Super Moderator
40,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Both holsters are safe, they cover the trigger! Use the one that works best for you. I pocket carry my TCP most of the time. I was using the Blackhawk #4 because it fit better with the laser trigger guard. I have since switched to the Ace Case, another inexpensive well working holster. I like the Ace Case a little bit better. Both holster I mentioned resemble the 2 you posted.

Reactions: BMC

·
Registered
578 Posts
From the picture and the description you provided, my opinion is the DeSantis will work for you. It is unfortunate that the trigger isn't completely covered though. I am normally a huge Remora proponent, but the one I got for my TCP has a seam that rides directly over the magazine release. This has often caused the magazine to pop loose in my pocket. So, I have started using a Concealment Specialties holster I got before the Remora again. It is a little thicker and not as refined as the Remora, but it does seem to work well and it was only $15. Like I said, I think your DeSantis will be fine, but I'll put Concealment Specialties' link here for anyone that might me interested: Concealment Specialties.Com Here is a picture of the model I'm using for my TCP: ConcealmentSpecialties_model380S_CARGO_zps2e0acd93.jpg

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I carry a TCP 738 as my EDC gun using a DeSantis Nemesis holster that is very similar to the SuperFly. It has the same trigger guard gap, but that doesn't bother me. I do put one other item in my carry pocket; a spare magazine in a Bass Pro "RedHead" knife sheath. There is no portion that can fit inside the trigger guard so I feel it is quite safe. It has the added benefit of hiding the outline of the gun so "printing" is not a problem. I put the magazine in my pocket vertically with the bottom towards the bottom of my pocket. Everything stays pretty much in place with normal movement.

I tried the Uncle Mikes (I think everyone starts there) as well as two or three other brands.

As for dust/lint/pocket crud, I carry mine pretty much all the time, including while out mowing the lawn so it definitely picks up stuff. I keep a bottle of canned air around. Once a week I do a quick disassembly, wipe down, blow-out, lube and reassemble. Not a cleaning in the normal sense, but then again I am not cleaning out powder and primer residue, just normal dust.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use the Super Fly daily, and I think it's an excellent little holster and I think it's perfectly safe. Did a review of it on my blog here.

That said, I'm also quite intrigued by the Recluse; to the OP, if absolute safety and absolute prohibition of the trigger ever possibly being moved is something that weighs on your mind, check out the Recluse. It snaps the gun into a molded trigger block that should prevent the trigger from ever being able to be moved. I say "should" because I haven't yet used a Recluse, so if anyone has firsthand experience with it and the TCP, please share...

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I carry my TCP in an Uncle Mikes size 3 pocket holster. The holster always stays in my pocket. The other thing I like is I can wear it in waist band and not worry about it, though I do want a dedicated IWB holster.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts