Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My TCP pin is tight and requires a little prying to get it out. This is the best method I have found to avoid scratching the slide.

I use my pocket knife and get the edge under the pin, the gently twist the blade against the TCP frame to pop the pin loose.

IMG_0178[1].JPG

To reinstall the pin I have found it is much easier to start the pin before the slide is on, just place a finger in the gun, and push the pin in until it is pushing against your finger. You don't want the pin in to far to interfere with the slide.

IMG_0180[1].JPG

After the pin is started put your slide on with out racking it back. Then while putting pressure on the pin with one thumb, I place my other thumb on the barrel and front of the slide and gently push the slide back until the pin pops in place.

IMG_0181[1].jpg

After trying many methods I found this to be the easiest. Hope it can help anyone else struggling with the TCP.

·
22,034 Posts
Great post! Good clear pictures, and good explanation. Thanks for contributing this to the body of knowledge!

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Nice picture presentation, sir. I chamfered the end of the pin, and push downward on the spring with the end of the pin to get it to pop in place. Got a small screwdriver that is bent a little to slide under the pin and pry it out, similar to what our knife is doing.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That's how I do it.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is chamferring the edge recommended?
I would not do it, that edge needs to sit tight in the opposite side of the frame. If you chamfer it, it may fit to loose. Try the method I posted above, it is very simple to do.

Reactions: Chickamauga

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I use the exact same technique to reassemble my TCP. Start the slide but don't cross the pin, insert the pin (easy to push DOWN on the retaining spring with the end of the pin. Start pin but do not let it enter the center void of the frame. Fully close slide and rack about 1/4 inch while putting pressure on the pin. Pin slides right home.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use the exact same technique to reassemble my TCP. Start the slide but don't cross the pin, insert the pin (easy to push DOWN on the retaining spring with the end of the pin. Start pin but do not let it enter the center void of the frame. Fully close slide and rack about 1/4 inch while putting pressure on the pin. Pin slides right home.
Much less than 1/4 inch. Maybe 1/16.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
And it helps to keep the gun pointed at the ground when putting the slide on and putting the pin in, some people have the barrel flopping back too far and jam the pin in

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Most of the time I never take the pin all the way out. Then you do not need to start it back over that retaining spring.

I also throw a paint lid opener in my cleaning kit for the 738. It works great for getting that pin started without scratching the frame and most paint stores will just give you one or two.

If the edge is a little too thick, just grind it down to something you can use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My TCP pin is tight and requires a little prying to get it out. This is the best method I have found to avoid scratching the slide.

I use my pocket knife and get the edge under the pin, the gently twist the blade against the TCP frame to pop the pin loose.

View attachment 102895

To reinstall the pin I have found it is much easier to start the pin before the slide is on, just place a finger in the gun, and push the pin in until it is pushing against your finger. You don't want the pin in to far to interfere with the slide.

View attachment 102897

After the pin is started put your slide on with out racking it back. Then while putting pressure on the pin with one thumb, I place my other thumb on the barrel and front of the slide and gently push the slide back until the pin pops in place.

View attachment 102902

After trying many methods I found this to be the easiest. Hope it can help anyone else struggling with the TCP.
Thanks!!! I don't know why I didn't think of this. Getting the pin in on the new ones is a big chore.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I first got my TCP I almost sent it back because I could not get the slide insert to stay forward when putting on the slide until I saw a video of putting just the head of the pin first , then sliding on the slide, then pushing the pin all the way until it locks when you slide the slide alll the way. Never any more problems.

Reactions: joemsj51

·
Registered
293 Posts
#1 on the paint can opener

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hey Largo
Thanks for the tip on starting the pin. I'm going to try that M.O. on my Ruger LCP pin.

I've NEVER had an issue with pin on my Ruger Lc9s....the TCP...gave me a run for my money the first go around....but I literally kept taking it out and putting it back in until I got the feel for it.. But I'm liking the suggestion of not removing it the entire way. I'll see what works best for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts