Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got money burning a hole in my pocket... I really want a 738 but I can't seem to find one with a SS slide, but LCP's are still easy to get at a reasonable price. I have had good luck with Taurus's (709 and 24/7c) and I like the looks of the TCP better then the LCP, but its getting harder every day with the LCP sitting behind the glass saying "just take me" and the TCP being no where to be found.

So is it worth waiting to find a TCP or is there such little difference between the two that I should just jump on the LCP?

I have not shot either of these, just want an occasional little pocket pal...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not that the LCP is bad, but the TCP is worth the wait. I like the lines and feel better. And I'm a fan of the slide locking back when the magazine is empty. I love shooting mine.

Reactions: 24/7 compact

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If you want a SS slide and don't want to wait for the 738, take a look at Kahr's new CW-380. It only comes with a SS slide and has a better trigger than the Taurus and many times better than a Ruger LCP.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
356 Posts
Friend of my loves his LCP. Wait, that didn't help. :eek:

Advantages (at least IMO) of the TCP:

• Longer grip length. It's not much, but it helps.
  • Better trigger. Not as long, and IIRC the TCP is also smoother and lighter.
  • Locks back. I guess this is in the eye of the beholder, but to me it's an advantage.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Had a LCP & I got rid of it, junk IMO. I now have a TCP & its great. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I tried both plus a S&W Bodyguard and the SIG that's basically a tiny 1911 (can't remember the model #). Ruger LCP felt by far the best to me. Very happy with the pistol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My wife has an LCP, and it isn't great. Lots of stovepiping early. It's gotten better, but I don't trust it. Not very accurate. It qualifies as a very minimum gun in my book. I don't know if the TCP is much better, but keep your expectations low for the LCP.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
Will the LGS order a TCP for you, or do you just have to wait until you find one? I shot both and by for prefer the TCP, I would wait or try to order one from where ever I can.

·
Registered
24,949 Posts
Don't like tiny guns but you can gather here that TCP is the way to go.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My LCP has been flawless. I got the Ruger because I read right here about too many TCPs taking the Miami vacation. I wanted the Taurus, I really did, but I made my decision based largely on what I read right here.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here's a great video on YouTube comparing the LCP, TCP, 3AT and IO Hellcat

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had my TCP for over a year and it is my daily carry firearm during the hot days of summer. Had some problems at first, but the fantastic service I got from Taurus made me determined to stick with the TCP. I have put maybe 400 rounds through it since I got it back from Taurus last summer and she always goes bang. At 21 feet and closer I get fist size groups (never shot it at any longer ranges), which I am happy with. I know in my area here in Iowa some of the big box retailers are filling up there shelves with new guns so I would bet a dealer could order you one and get it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My dad and brother both bought the LCP when they frist came out and the both love that gun. Neither has had even one issue. I bought the TCP last fall because it was $100 (33%) less money. My TCP has also been without issue. Personally I prefer the line of the LCP but the TCP has a better trigger and the slide locks open when empty, if that even matters to you. I do not believe the LCP comes with a stainless slide as an option.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I own the LCP and it has served me well. The TCP is also a good pocket semiauto, the
only reason I choose the LCP was because I liked the looks better. Compare and test fire
both of them if you get the chance and see what works best for you. I really appreciate
the LCP this time of year when the weather is hot and you can easily conceal it when
you are outside in a T-shirt and shorts.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I will say my lcp has been flawless.It serves its purpose and that is all I ask it to do.I heard too many negative reviews on the 738 to honestly consider it.

·
Registered
17,416 Posts
I had an LCP. After the novelty of having such a small pistol wore off I sold it.
I am not a huge person with baseball mitts hands, just a little larger than average
but it was rather unpleasant to shoot. The trigger would pinch the flesh of my finger and
the recoil of such a small gun was kind of "not nice". It was like trying to hold a chipmunk that was having a seizure.

I replace it with a Sig P238. Almost the same size and exactly the opposite to shoot.
It's comfortable, the recoil is minimal and it is accurate. Being sort of a mini-1911 it is
also kind of cute. I carry it in a Crossbreed MiniTuck and it is invisible and very comfortable.
I do not pocket carry just out of personal preference.

That is just my opinion based on my experience. I do not regret dumping the LCP.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I love my TCP. I've had no problems with it at all, and I only shoot cheap Russian steel-cased ammo through it. I think the trigger pull is excellent compared to the Ruger. Wait for the TCP.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can not speech for the TCP but DO NOT BUY the LCP. I have one & only carry it when I hike because of weight. The trigger pull is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Long you will think something is broke. And when it does go Bang the trigger recoil is so bad you will only shoot a few rounds. WAIT.

Mike

1 - 20 of 78 Posts