Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a serious issue while concealed carrying my TCP with the magazine dropping from the locked position. Over the last week I have noticed three magazine drops, when I removed the pistol from my pocket the magazine was not locked into the magazine well. The magazine had dropped out of the firing position. I am not sure if the problem is because of my holster, if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a problem with the magazine release. I inspected the gun and I can't see anything physically wrong with the magazine release.

Here is the scenario. I use a nylon Blackhawk inside the pocket holster. I pocket carry in my left front pocket. This puts the magazine release on the outside of the pistol not facing my leg. Three times recently when I removed the weapon from my pocket I discovered the magazine released from the firing position with about a quarter of an inch gap between the magazine and the bottom of the magazine well. I have attached a picture for reference.

Should I try a different holster? Any other ideas, I am open to your suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you have anything else in your pocket with the gun? The only thing I can figure is maybe since it is a soft holster, the magazine release is being pushed somehow. Other than that, it has to be the gun.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have anything else in your pocket with the gun? The only thing I can figure is maybe since it is a soft holster, the magazine release is being pushed somehow. Other than that, it has to be the gun.
I do not carry anything in the pocket with the pistol.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have never had a mag pop out in pocket carry but I always make my IWB holster with a tab protecting the mag release because it is real easy to lean back against something and pop the mag release.

Here's my left handed pocket holster with my 738 holstered.

Here is one of my left handed 738 holsters

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I use an uncle mike's pocket holster for mine (which looks just like yours) for about a year now with no issues at all. Strange indeed.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Maybe your just hung :eek:

Alright already, I just had to say it.:D

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I have not experienced that problem with my TCP in my right front pocket. I use a Blackhawk 03 pocket holster and I have the mag release next to my leg. Does the gun drop the mag any other time when not expected? Do you do anything that would put you into a leaning position where you might be pressing the release by leaning into something? I do not carry anything in my pocket, but have to think that with the mag release on the outside, if you did lean into something, the whole gun surface against your leg will provide enough support that if the release is hit, it would depress. With the release against your leg, any force on the gun would push the whole gun into your leg and the small release would just compress your skin/muscle tissue and not actually push it in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have not experienced that problem with my TCP in my right front pocket. I use a Blackhawk 03 pocket holster and I have the mag release next to my leg. Does the gun drop the mag any other time when not expected? Do you do anything that would put you into a leaning position where you might be pressing the release by leaning into something? I do not carry anything in my pocket, but have to think that with the mag release on the outside, if you did lean into something, the whole gun surface against your leg will provide enough support that if the release is hit, it would depress. With the release against your leg, any force on the gun would push the whole gun into your leg and the small release would just compress your skin/muscle tissue and not actually push it in.
Great feedback. I will try changing pockets and see if I still experience the issue. I will also look at some different holster options. I also am not normally in a leaning position where I would be hitting the magazine release on a table or other object. I did go out and put 70 rounds down range and had two magazine drops but I am not sure if it was a problem with the gun or my left thumb being too low on the grip.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Tight pants?

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you got two magazines, try the other one. Take the mag, insert it and try to wiggle it out, moved side to side and back a forth. If the mag comes out could be the mag itself or the mag release. Try a second mag if it does the same then the mag release may be bad. If the second mag does not come out then the mag is the problem. I have a gray TCP that only one mag out of five would drop during firing or wiggling it. Mag was out of spec and Taurus replaced it along with my barrel which had a cracked lug. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you got two magazines, try the other one. Take the mag, insert it and try to wiggle it out, moved side to side and back a forth. If the mag comes out could be the mag itself or the mag release. Try a second mag if it does the same then the mag release may be bad. If the second mag does not come out then the mag is the problem. I have a gray TCP that only one mag out of five would drop during firing or wiggling it. Mag was out of spec and Taurus replaced it along with my barrel which had a cracked lug. I hope this helps.
very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Just yesterday I experienced a mag drop from a gun that has been reliable for years.
Took some inspection with a bore light shining up the magazine well - it was a ball of pocket lint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts