Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried over years to win my wife over to my sport of shooting. Small hands, had carpel tunnel surgery so also weak hands. Tried a revolver, too hard to pull the hammer back and double action also too hard to pull. would like some help from the forum. One thought I had: Since I reload, could I put a weak spring in a TCP, reload a weak 380 cartridge, and have a good size caliber easy to shoot.
Please advise.

"What you cain'duck, embrace" Idaho Cowboy wisdom

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
All good plans except the weak spring might be troubling. I'm no expert and others will chime in but that might not be the best idea. My wife has no health issues but is very small, has tiny hands and a weak grip. She is also very recoil shy. After a lot of research and testing she is happy with her LCP Custom. The custom has a better trigger pull than the LCP but I think the same as the LCP2. It's a very small pistol. You might consider that line as an option.

lcp.jpg

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Cycling the slide on a 738 might be the biggest issue with small, weak hands. My wife's hands are neither, yet she has difficulties wit mine.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I'd sooner have a .22 than a downloaded .380. Several come to mind, all Berettas. The Model 86, out of print in this country, has moderate recoil and a tip-up barrel, like the Taurus PT22. Hard to find and spendy. The Beretta 87 is similar but without a tip up barrel, but the spring makes it easier to operate. There is also a 32 caliber version, slighly more bang, little more recoil. Also expensive. The Beretta 21 is a much smaller pocket pistol. It comes in .22 and .25. It has a tip-up barrel. Last the Beretta Tomcat, also a tip up barrel, also fairly small, in .32.

Shot placement is far more important than caliber.

If you go with a 22, I recommend high end target grade ammo. This type of ammo is hand-primed, and much less likely to misfire. Eley Match is an example.

If you have questions on any of the models mentioned, give me a shout. I've owned or currently one examples of each. The 86 went to my wife's grandmother when she could no longer operate the slide of a gun.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
For my wife(5' 2 and 115 pounds) with hand issues, it was the Curve that she finally settled on....................

·
Registered
340 Posts
There is also the TCP with wings that might help with racking the slide. Look around I think they're available.

Reactions: GhostHorse

·
Super Moderator
37,570 Posts
Cycling the slide on a 738 might be the biggest issue with small, weak hands. My wife's hands are neither, yet she has difficulties wit mine.
Pulling the slide back as well as limp wristing might be an issue with any small poly pistol. Probably going to a range with a large choice of models for rental may be the way to go.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
23,074 Posts
Sanspeu1r, are you thinking defensive or just get her interested - paper punching? I hope the latter. Walk before you (she) run(s).

If she were here, I'd let her try out my Colt Woodsman. Any similar target .22 should be comparable enough. Easy to rack the slide, single action trigger, accuracy that will build confidence...

The Beretta tip up that Fredward mentioned would be my second choice. I've read the Taurus version has a heavy trigger, so I'd go with the Beretta. I got to shoot one a couple of weekends ago, and holy heck, was that little thing fun! Less accurate that the Woodsman like pistols I was just referring to, but you don't need to rack the slide at all.

Keep us posted!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
My 2 cents is to get her a 22 LR semi auto pistol with a 4 inch barrel. In todays market place there are just way to many out there that would be good.
MY advise is the very last pistol that I would get a lady that has wrist problems, and never shot much is ANY of the small , mini sized center fire pistols.
Here are 4 that most all the ladies in my life can handle without any problems, I would as mentioned however go with a 4 inch barrel if specifically for a lady.
The Berettas are the most ergonomic and actually the least expensive.
Browning, Ruger, Beretta.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have tried over years to win my wife over to my sport of shooting. Small hands, had carpel tunnel surgery so also weak hands. Tried a revolver, too hard to pull the hammer back and double action also too hard to pull. would like some help from the forum. One thought I had: Since I reload, could I put a weak spring in a TCP, reload a weak 380 cartridge, and have a good size caliber easy to shoot.
Please advise.
Like you, I have tried for years (with yet no success) to win my wife over to recreational pistol shooting. To be sure, the Taurus TCP would not be my first choice out of my collection to bring her into the fold. While it's size and appearance (especially the colorful ones) may appeal to some women (guys like the colorful ones too), your first trip to the range will set your efforts back a few years! The TCP is NOT a range gun. It's designed as a Concealed Carry firearm and with the proper ammunition, functions well in that mode. As mentioned by many in this tread, it's difficult to rack, has a long trigger pull that's not exactly light and significant recoil. My daughter who is not a large woman and certainly not weak, has difficulty racking the slide and says that it actually hurts to shoot it.
While some have recommended larger (heavier) autoloaders in .22 Cal, I might suggest a double/single action revolver in .38 Special with a 4" barrel. It would be relatively heavy so with light .38 Spl reloads, the recoil would be quite manageable. The hammer would have to be pulled back to put it into the single action mode. Since your wife has had her carpal tunnel surgery, normal hand function should eventually return. I think that the Taurus 82 or a similar model from another manufacturer would be a reasonable choice. Once the weather gets nice again (several months from now :rolleyes:) I'm hoping to coax my wife out to the range for a little revolver shooting. Good luck with bringing your wife into the world of sport handgunning.
Flex

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really appreciate the comments. I'm starting to agree about getting a 22 for her. I also agree trying out other pistols would be best, no sense trying to talk her into something she will hate. I am also being a little selfish in choosing 380 caliber..... seems I have about 2000 rounds of ammo and a bucket of brass to reload but got rid of my Kel-Tec 3AT that just plain wore out. Better put away that thought and find a reasonable and agreeable solution.
Thanks for the discussion.

"Always figure a way out before goin' down a canyon" Idaho Cowboy wisdom

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have to agree with the concensus. I got my SO interested in shooting through wheel guns - .22 & .38 and she enjoyed it and was very comfortable. BUT I wanted to move her into pistols withthe intention of CC....so I picked up a Bersa Thunder .380....nice pistol. At the time I had a HiPoint C9.....she shot both and liked the C9 but hated the Bersa. I have to admit the Bersa had a lot more 'snap' than the C9 because of weight....well, she just quit shooting........soured her right ot of it. She hated racking the slide, etc......so I guess the next time a killer deal comes up on a wheel gun I will see if she is interested.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have to agree with the concensus. I got my SO interested in shooting through wheel guns - .22 & .38 and she enjoyed it and was very comfortable. BUT I wanted to move her into pistols withthe intention of CC....so I picked up a Bersa Thunder .380....nice pistol. At the time I had a HiPoint C9.....she shot both and liked the C9 but hated the Bersa. I have to admit the Bersa had a lot more 'snap' than the C9 because of weight....well, she just quit shooting........soured her right ot of it. She hated racking the slide, etc......so I guess the next time a killer deal comes up on a wheel gun I will see if she is interested.
I for one would recommend the Bersa. My wife loves hers. Well, that's a lie. She ADORES it. The triggers are so nice on them compared to a striker-fired, and it's purple. She named it, haha. That being said, she is not small. The slide on my PT111 is a bit tough for her but she doesn't have issues with the Bersa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts