Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at my local range and they were having a 'blow out" sale. They had a used TCP for $180. I have been curious about these for a while. I handled it and it felt very solid and good in the hand. The action, lock up of the slide and stoutness of the recoil spring seemed very good. What surprised me was the trigger. I have shot many KelTecs which I would consider a direct competitor and was always aghast with the trigger on these granted you don't want a hair trigger on a safety-less mouse gun. The trigger on the Keltecs are usually long, stout and gritty. The trigger on this particular gun did have a little end play which I was not impressed by, but could have been unique to this particular specimen. When I pulled the trigger I was half expecting horrific trigger finger resistance and long grit, it just pulled right through nice and smooth. WOW! I did notice the break was a little vague, but for a $200ish subc firearm compared to anything else at this price range and size it was outstandingly nice! My questions are; is there end play in most of these triggers? Do they get loose quickly or stay tight and solid long term. I am not purchasing this for a range gun so I am assuming and from what I have read; that they are snappy(this is fine) and not a range gun (Duh).

·
Registered
496 Posts
While most say not a range gun I quit counting when I got close to 2000 rounds. I know many have complained about the 738A series but the only problems I've had have been my own. After about 25 rounds my hand gets sore and my grip loosens up. I then experience miss-feeds. Normaly practice at 7 Yards. I try to point shot the sites are garbage. A 738 is what it is. A belly gun and not meant for 25 yrds. It's perfect for a gun you can always have with you. The pouch makes people think you have a pda and no need to change position when you buckle your seat belt. For every day carry no matter how you dress you could do better. Have fun. For me point shooting with it is natural.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I would be point and shoot 7-10 yards minimal sights required. My main question is how do you like the trigger? With 380 quick and accurate follow up shots are mandatory. This is all in the trigger for me.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
$180.00 is a fine deal on a used TCP.

Wish I could come across a similar deal.

·
Registered
183 Posts
$180.00 is a fine deal on a used TCP.

Wish I could come across a similar deal.
MilProGuy, what part of MS are you in? The Sportsman's Wharehouse in Southaven has them New for $199

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
Yes I would be point and shoot 7-10 yards minimal sights required. My main question is how do you like the trigger? With 380 quick and accurate follow up shots are mandatory. This is all in the trigger for me.
well thats one of the down sides with the 738, its got a hybrid trigger action being half double action and half single action, the slide partially cocks the hammer when it recoils back, then when you pull the trigger you finish lifting the hammer back until it drops and then this is repeated.
another thing that gets people in trouble is that they do not allow the trigger to fully return to the front, short stroking it, and then you have no trigger pull at all.
this method of needing to allow the trigger to fully return and the combination of the long trigger pull makes followup shots somewhat longer, you just need to practice with it to build up speed.
the gun is easily pulled off target if you start snatching the trigger.
the good things are as you noted the very light (for a DA pocket pistol), and smooth trigger pull, if the thing had any kind of sights at all it would be very accurate.
you may want to research sight enhancement of the 738 sights, a lengthy post and very informative.
I got a Sig 238 because of these very short comings but as you say for the bucks the 738 i think is the best buy on the market.

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
i have the tcp. at an indoor range i can it the target at 25 yrds.ppl that say 7 to 10 yrds make me feel they dont have the gun.
ME TOO!
well if the target is a 18 wheeler parked sideways!
you likely goth the Taurus TCP 738 where the "T" stand for target model, mine the "T" stands for Taurus., Tiny, and Toatally a short range weapon.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
Hahahaha.... I make my daughter practice w/ her 738 at 9 yards, the max I think for that gun.
well i could/can likely hit the silhouete (life size) at 25 yards with a shot or two out of the 7 but no telling where they would be at, there is simply no sights on the gun!
I stand a lot better chance with my Sig 238 that actually has sights and a nice single action trigger pull.
But I typically practice with the 738 at 5-7-10 yards thats about it, the Sig I run out to 12-15 yards.
Not saying the gentleman can't hit at 25 yards with his, just saying hes a lot better shot than i and must have a lot better 738 than i do, thats all.
Hey I ain't ashamed of showing my limitations!
heres 2 targets, one for the Sig 238, and the FBI very top group is with the Taurus 738, you can see the groups, the number of rounds and the ranges.
many of these shots would have missed at 25 yards, not all but many.
this is human size targets.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
i guess after 9 yards the bullet falls to the ground
Well I know for a fact that 7 yds is the max range for a squib. 380 ;)

I normally shoot at 7 or 10 yds and can only manage what Olfarhorse posted, the trigger is just too close to the back of the grip for me to work the trigger any better. The trigger is plenty nice, but about 1/4" too long for me and shifts in my hand as it breaks. I'm sure that from a rest I could shoot a 2" group at 15yds

·
Banned
25 Posts
Well I know for a fact that 7 yds is the max range for a squib. 380 ;)

I normally shoot at 7 or 10 yds and can only manage what Olfarhorse posted, the trigger is just too close to the back of the grip for me to work the trigger any better. The trigger is plenty nice, but about 1/4" too long for me and shifts in my hand as it breaks. I'm sure that from a rest I could shoot a 2" group at 15yds
at 7 or 10 yds i can throw the bullet.i nerver said, that at 25 yds i would hit the target with a 2 or 3inch group. if you think 7 yds is the max i doubt you own a gun.you can shoot a bb gun further.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts