Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a TCP yesterday. Thought I could use a pocket pistol so picked one up I saw at my LGS for $199 new in box. It is an E series and came in the new orange box.

I took it out today just to check the function and it jammed twice on the first mag. Every mag after that it cycled all rounds except the last. It would always fail to feed the last round. It ejected the second to last round fine but would not load the final round in the chamber. I would have to manually hit the slide release button to get it chambered. It then fired and ejected that round fine and held the slide back on the empty mag.

I shot a whole box of ammo with the gun doing this on every mag. I thought I had seen someone with a similar issue but couldnt' find the post. It was cleaned before I took it out. Is this a magazine issue? Anyone else have this happen? Thanks.

Ohh, and I was using cheapo Tula steel cased ammo.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I hope that is it. Not sure why it would just have the problem on the last round though

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well I hope that is it. Not sure why it would just have the problem on the last round though
I'd put a few more thru it before I would be worried about it. Probably just a break in issue. I have an "A" model (which everyone hates) that has been pretty flawless after break in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'll see how it does on the next range trip. I will try and get a few boxes of different ammo too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yea, keep shootin! Put grease on rails while break in. Keep thumb off slide catch. Exam the follower for burrs and l wax mine a few coats. Some brass ammo.

My taurus TCP, shoots straighter than my glock-42.

Can you tell us some changes you see with E model dwn inside?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Since you said you had to hit the slide release to get it to chamber, what you are indicating is the slide is locking back on the last round. It sounds to me like the bullet is hitting the little tab that is raised up to hold the slide open. That is a common problem with the TCP, and the problem is really related to the ammo shape of the bullet in the round. A different ammo might very well take care of the problem. An I too would recommend you get different ammo as there have been several that have had problems with the cheap Tula, myself included. After break-in, 200-300 rounds, it may very well run the Tula without issues. There is a sticky in the Smithing Forum about TCP reliability enhancements. Within that post, you can see how to file away a small amount of that tab to allow the bullet to load without hitting the tab. The newer models have already addressed that issue, and by newer, I mean the D and E models. Mine and my wife's TCP are both C models and I had to file that little tab on them to help with that problem. Hope this helps!

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/40279-tcp-738-reliability-enhancements.html

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Tula Steel cased ammo has a much fatter bullet profile then most .380 ammo and can cause these problems.

Typical .380 vs Tulammo .380
98465d1413507517-tulammo-m380-380-ammo.jpg

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Tula Steel cased ammo has a much fatter bullet profile then most .380 ammo and can cause these problems.

Typical .380 vs Tulammo .380
View attachment 106407

So if you look at those two rounds that Fish supplied, you can see where the shape being fatter can hit that little tab that I mentioned. Load one of those Tula's in your magzine and insert it in the gun with the slide locked back. Then look down in there and you should be able to see where that bullet will come close to contacting the tab. Why does it do it just on the last round? As the rounds are being extracted, the spring holds enough pressure on them to keep them in the reward position in the magazine. When you get to that last one, my guess is the spring pressure isn't enough to keep the round from moving forward as the one before it is being stripped from the magazine and friction is bringing it forward causing it to contact the little tab. With the narrow shape of other rounds, you will not be close enough to contact it, even if the last round does move forward a little.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome stuff guys, thanks. That does make sense. I will definitely try some brass ammo on the next trip. I bought the cheap stuff to break it in and because I am cheap ;). I'll report back after the next range visit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Steel cased ammo is a no buy for me hard on the gun and simply not worth the cost savings, only gun I would use in is an very loose AK47, also wax on some cheap ammo will cause jams, builds up in chamber causing all sorts of issues, again, keep her clean & wet, plus brass ammo. Never had a problem with my A model 738 runs flawless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I did take it back out briefly a few days ago. Used brass ammo (academy monarch and Agula). Both ran fine and no feeding issues. I also tried out a ProMag magazine I bought (couldn't find any extra OEM mags). I was surprised that the Promag worked flawlessly.

I'm going to run the rest of my steel cased ammo just get rid of it and test again with more brass. If all works good, I will call it broken in ;)

·
22,027 Posts
I have heard of Tula displeasing a TCP more than once.

I never run mine wet. Actually, I only have one firearm I run wet, ever. My 1916 pre-Woodsman. It likes actual oil. All the rest get Remington Dri-Lube, whether during break in or regular use. For whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not enough magazine spring pressure left to "push" that Tula steel up into the feed ramp?
Not sure, I may agree with a few others and say its the slightly different shape of the steel cased ammo that caused the issue. I will see how the rest of the steel cased runs through it. I will only carry the brass in it though.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Since you said you had to hit the slide release to get it to chamber, what you are indicating is the slide is locking back on the last round. It sounds to me like the bullet is hitting the little tab that is raised up to hold the slide open. That is a common problem with the TCP, and the problem is really related to the ammo shape of the bullet in the round. A different ammo might very well take care of the problem. An I too would recommend you get different ammo as there have been several that have had problems with the cheap Tula, myself included. After break-in, 200-300 rounds, it may very well run the Tula without issues. There is a sticky in the Smithing Forum about TCP reliability enhancements. Within that post, you can see how to file away a small amount of that tab to allow the bullet to load without hitting the tab. The newer models have already addressed that issue, and by newer, I mean the D and E models. Mine and my wife's TCP are both C models and I had to file that little tab on them to help with that problem. Hope this helps!

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/smithing/40279-tcp-738-reliability-enhancements.html
What HD-Mike said, but . . .

I have a D series and had the same problem. Looking at the slide-lock tab, I could see copper shavings from the FMJ. Not being a gun smith, and because there were a couple of other issues, I sent mine into Taurus. It has been flawless ever since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts