Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone shoots reloads out of their TCP. How does it handle them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have shot well over 200 rounds of reloads with 90 gr. XTP's with no problems.
In fact the only problems I have had is with factory American Eagle RN bullets.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I reload for my wife's TCP738, as the factory rounds are a bit much for her. I load 95 grn LRN from Missouri Bullet over 2.3 grns of Bullseye, or 2.4 grns of HP38. They are really light plinker loads for her, about as accurate as anything else we have fired out the tiny thing, and cycle just fine. Somewhere between 200 and 300 rounds of these and never a FTF or FTE, and relatively clean. These make the TCP738 much more fun and much less expensive to shoot. I also load Hornady 90 grn XTP's at near max charges of HP38 and have had no problems with them in the TCP738.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Wondering if anyone shoots reloads out of their TCP. How does it handle them?
A properly assembled reload would be no different than a factory "New" round.(except to void the guns warranty)
I have shot several hundred 380 reloads out of my 738m Sig 238 and Bersa 380, generally range loads are 100 grain Raniers plated.
I am playing with some 80 grain all copper projectiles,& 102 grain Remington Golden Sabres presently.
the only round that seems to give my 380's problems is the USA 100 grain Flat point, they all 3 willl choke on occasion with those.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That is all I shoot out of mine, designed a 100-grain cast bullet for it. Here is sits with my PT138Pro, a 380 Auto as well.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Very nice picture there Ranch Dog, and that pile of bullets makes me want to go shooting now.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I just ordered a Lee Turret Reloader last night and can't wait to get started. I never really thought about reloading the 380s. I was really thinking more about the larger rounds. This makes perfectly good sense to me! I will have to get a set of 380 dies! Thanks for ther heads-up!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A properly assembled reload would be no different than a factory "New" round.(except to void the guns warranty)
I have shot several hundred 380 reloads out of my 738m Sig 238 and Bersa 380, generally range loads are 100 grain Raniers plated.
I am playing with some 80 grain all copper projectiles,& 102 grain Remington Golden Sabres presently.
the only round that seems to give my 380's problems is the USA 100 grain Flat point, they all 3 willl choke on occasion with those.
Should have been more specific. I am mainly concerned with leading. Just curious if the TCP is any more prone to leading than compariable guns. I shoot cast lead RN bullets and my P3AT has not shown any leading yet. Hoping for the same from this little gun.

Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Any of the Taurus 380 Autos need a fat bullet, .358". Here is computer image of the TCP generated by the chamber impression I took from my TCP. Note the groove diameter of .358"!

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
I just ordered a Lee Turret Reloader last night and can't wait to get started. I never really thought about reloading the 380s. I was really thinking more about the larger rounds. This makes perfectly good sense to me! I will have to get a set of 380 dies! Thanks for ther heads-up!
Just watch your powder weight/OAL as there isn't a lot of vary (wiggle) room in the lil 380 case using a lot of powders.
My reloads for the 380's run me abiout 8 bucks a box of 50.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Should have been more specific. I am mainly concerned with leading. Just curious if the TCP is any more prone to leading than compariable guns. I shoot cast lead RN bullets and my P3AT has not shown any leading yet. Hoping for the same from this little gun.

Thanks for all the responses
well leading will have a lot to do with the metal composition of the projectile and the speed at which you push it, generally a medium hard cast, plated or jacketed projectile isn't going to lead the barrel of a 380 as the FPS is low, especially in a short barreled weapon like the 738.
I am quite sure that Ranch Dog can tell you lot more about this than i as he cast his own projectiles.

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you guys recommend getting a Factory crimp die, or is the crimp apllied by seat/crimp die plenty? i have not loaded for autos before but will be loading for 380 vary soon. i load for a few different rifle and revolver cartridges and have the factory crimp die for all of them, i don't bother to use it on the light loads though.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
do you guys recommend getting a Factory crimp die, or is the crimp apllied by seat/crimp die plenty? i have not loaded for autos before but will be loading for 380 vary soon. i load for a few different rifle and revolver cartridges and have the factory crimp die for all of them, i don't bother to use it on the light loads though.
Well thats one of those Love-Hate relationships! some hate them!
personally I use them on 380,9 MM, 38 super , 45ACP , in other words all my semi auto loads!
I have had 1 failure to feed out of some 2000 plus rounds and 9-10 various pistols since beginning to use this die.
I am sold on it, oh the 1 failure was actually my fault as i shaved a bit of brass off a projectioe by not quite expanding it enough and it was lodged outside the case , thats why it would not fully feed.
its a winner as far as i am concerned, I use the roll crimp on most pistol loads though.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm with olfarhors on this and would use it with jacket bullets or swagged lead bullets. With cast bullets, I do not use it as they are typically over diameter and the carbide sizing ring in the base of the die will undersize the bullets.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello,

Reloading ammo is generally reserved for target/range shooters or competition shooters as a way to save money and control target hits.

Since the Taurus TCP is neither a target/range pistol or a competition shooter......why should we worry about reloads?

Just curious..

Eric

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello,

Reloading ammo is generally reserved for target/range shooters or competition shooters as a way to save money and control target hits.

Since the Taurus TCP is neither a target/range pistol or a competition shooter......why should we worry about reloads?

Just curious..

Eric
Well I plan on mine being a range gun. It may not be accurate at long ranges, but fun (hopefully) for punching paper out to 10 yards. I have a Kel Tec P3AT (very similar size 380 pocket gun) that has over 1000 rounds in the last year.

I normally shoot 100 or so rounds at a time 1-2x a month. I don't load super powerful rounds and think these small guns are a blast to shoot. The recoil is not as bad as my Ruger sp101 snubbie 357 or my kel tec p11 (9mm). I am not bragging because I will admit the p11 is brutal to me and no fun to shoot. I know people though that think the p3at is worse than the p11. recoil is subjective

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
Hello,

Just curious..

Eric
Using reloads for a range trip is a lot cheaper than buying ammo just to punch holes in paper. I usually shoot 50 to 100 rounds (plated or lead bullets) per caliber, and have 10 to 15 rounds of SD ammo just to make sure they work. Even with a TCP, the more rounds you put through it, the better you are at hitting the target.

·
Registered
339 Posts
as a way to save money
you answered your own question.

most of my guns have only had a couple boxes of factory ammo through them when i initaly bough the gun, after that it's all reloads. i have one revolver that i have never bought a loaded cartridge for, it's only had reloads as long as i have owned it. if i had to buy ammo for my guns they would rarely be shot.

i suppose next you'll want to know why we bother casting our own bullets. (i just got started with casting)

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
Hello,

Just curious..

Eric
well certainly its to save money and have superior or at least on par round as a factory round.
for me its real no brainer as i already have the press, the scales, the calipers, etc, and the powder, primers and the projectiles posisbly (depend on the weight) so a set of 36 buck carbide dies and i am in business pretty much, the rest is pretty much the same as the 9 MM and 38 super which i already load, so the 380 just makes sense, and at 380 prices on ammo i save about as much as with the 45 acp reloading.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts