Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I purchased a new Taurus 738 TCP from a local dealer. Two weeks ago put about 26 rounds through it with out problems. Saturday I took it to my cabin so my Daughter and grand kids could shoot it. My grandson had no problems shooting the pistol but on the first shot that his mother took the slide broke in half with the back half tearing a nice gash in her lip and taking a small chunk of skin out of her neck. I am very upset considering she could have been killed or severly injured and the weapon only had 39 rounds fired through it. Does this indicate the quality of the Taurus weapons?

·
Super Moderator
36,387 Posts
Wow, that had to scare the heck out of everyone! I hope that it doesn't put her off shooting for good.

Do you have any photos that you can post so that we can learn from them where to look for stress indicators? We have many members here with that pistol and this is the first event that I've heard about. Thanks!

Also want to welcome you to the forum!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I am sorry that this happened to you and I am glad that no-one was seriously hurt. This is not typical of the Taurus manufacturing, I would contact them first thing tomorrow and let them know what happened, I am sure that they will want to get the damaged gun back for analysis. I am sure that they will send you a new gun and possibly let you make your choice of a different one. I am sure that this is emotional with you but remember to be polite to the Customer Service representative, they will help you and it is not their fault this happened.

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
Sorry, forgot my manners....welcome to the forum ! :wave:

Pictures would be great...might help figure out what exactly happened.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
A catastrophic failure of that sort with factory ammo is cause for alarm. Photograph the gun, any ammo fragments and your daughter's injuries, contact customer service and look for an attorney. The gun should not have failed like that. Taurus should replace it with the gun of your choice and pay for any and all medical expenses your daughter has or might incur.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Yikes..... Glocks has some ka-blooms early on also. Particularly in .40S&W and .45ACP

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I'm happy to hear that no one was critcally injured..God was indeed watching over you and your family!! But I am so sorry that this happened to you. It's bound to have shaken you and yours very much!! and also: Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Please accept my sincerest hope that your daughter will be alright! There are a lot of those pistols in the hands of owners as they are quite popular. I think this is the first one I've heard of that had a failure of the slide? It would be very helpful to a lot of other TCP owners if you could post some pictures of your gun?

·
Super Moderator
21,580 Posts
Wow sorry this happened as that gun has a pretty good track record. Maybe some minor flaws but nothing like this, A Pic would certainly help in finding out what happened.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the post and follow up so far, I hope she's doing better. Very scary.

I just bought one of these yesterday and it's back at Taurus right now getting fixed for a take down pin working itself out. Curious if your pin is still there? My thought is perhaps it was half out if that could have caused something like this?

Edit: I see the pin is still there.

After reading this I may retire mine when I get it back, doesn't make me too confident in the firearm at all.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am glad that your daughter was not more seriously injured although all injuries like this are serious. Things like this are scary!

This appears to be a serious problem. I am sure that Taurus Customer Service and Quality Assurance will want to inspect the gun and determine the cause of the failure. Give them a call and explain the situation to them. I realize that you are upset over this, but do not take it out on the customer service people they are there to help resolve problems.

I would suspect a stress crack in the slide material which is not always visible without Magna-Fluxing x-rays and most manufacturers do not preform this inspection routinely. I would expect that if a material defect is found that they will probably check all of the slides in stock from that order and probably issue a recall on any that have already shipped. From my experience in Quality Assurance is that is what the company I worked for would do and they probably require a Magna-Flux inspection at least on random samples from that material supplier on all future shipments.

I would believe that Taurus will treat you very fairly when you send it back for their inspection on their dime. No manufacturer wants the negative publicity that this sort of thing causes.

And welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.