Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking the 738 would be a good BUG for the Summer months in Central Texas. Recently, bought a (used $255) 140 MilPro & very pleased w/Shooting Range results. The 140 is now my "cooler" weather BUG.

Anyway, I'd like some input from past & present 738 TCP owners regards to malfxns & rate 1-10, 1 = Worst / 10 = Best

TIA!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had mine 2 months, couple of hundred rounds through it. 2 failures but they where my fault. Great BUG.
I did super clean and lube with frog lube and polished the guts.

Reactions: SoldiernurseNoMo

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
Mine was a 6, turned into a 3, went back to the factory and came back a 10. I have one of the earliest versions (an "A" prefix serial number). The modifications they made to mine are already incorporated into current production. Basically they gave me a new barrel which has a redesigned feed ramp, and a current production extractor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
9/10 Love it, my everyday IWB carry during hot weather. Polished guts and painted sights with Pierce extension on one mag. I would recommend doing the reliability mods that can be found on here, very easy and well worth it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
soldier You can buy anything today and have problems from round one . Now the 2 TCP380's we have are great little pistols and seem to feed and shoot everthing . Trigger in these are better than most any CC pistol you will find and has features other micro pistols don't have.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was a 6, turned into a 3, went back to the factory and came back a 10. I have one of the earliest versions (an "A" prefix serial number"). The modifications they made to mine are already incorporated into current production. Basically they gave me a new barrel which has a redesigned feed ramp, and a current production extractor.
So, the current production have "C" prefix?

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
So, the current production have "C" prefix?

I believe so, unless they're up to D by now. I bought mine two years ago, but I don't know how long it had been in stock. I put over a thousand rounds through it before it went back. They made a magazine mod at A60000. Current magazine won't work in those earliest guns. Well they work but I think you have to depress the mag release when inserting it. My serial number is just over that.

They have one of the best triggers you'll find on a gun of its type. The only thing mine doesn't work with is Tula steel case ammo. I found when using that ammo in my M380 revolver that it's rim is a bit thicker, it wouldn't work with the moon clips, the case heads would drag on the recoil shield but they worked fine without the clips. In my TCP, the rim is so tight under the extractor that it locks the slide up. I had to disassemble the pistol to get it out.

I've shot Remington, American Eagle, and Federal ball. Remington and Hornady Critical Defense hollow points and my own lead bullet reloads and all now work 100%. My only criticism is it often tends to eject more upwards than to the right. So sometimes it rains brass on you or plunks you in the forehead, but it's not a big issue to me. It doesn't do that every time, usually they end up behind me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soldier You can buy anything today and have problems from round one . Now the 2 TCP380's we have are great little pistols and seem to feed and shoot everthing . Trigger in these are better than most any CC pistol you will find and has features other micro pistols don't have.
A while back owned a S&W Bodyguard but hated the trigger, nor did I care for the laser. Rather than shopping online, paying S/H & FFL I've been shopping around town. Fortunately, Austin (+ surrounding area), TX has numerous LGS. AEB my ForumSig I'm in no rush.

Definately, appreciate everyone's input!

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had the blued version TCP since November. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it, but it's over 200. Of those, I haven't had a single fail to load, fire, or eject with any of the FMJ or JHP I've shot. The only issue I've had is the pistol is so tiny I have to be careful not to inadvertently hit the magazine release when I shoot it. I chose it over some others because it holds open on the last shot fired, the magazine release is reversible, and it has a decent trigger. The fit, finish, or materials aren't quite on the same level of some of my other pistols, but it isn't bad either. I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far I haven't regretted getting it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love mine, just dont limp wrist it at all, mine needs the death grip or ftf happens. When my wife shoots it it wont chamber the next round it stops at the ramp. When you grip it firm I have zero problems with it! Takedown is easy,kinda dick around gettin the pin back in its finiky about going in.Shootin the winchesters defence hollow points works well threw it. I like this gun pretty well but I wish I had not sold my Keltec 380 I had zero problems with it! I thought the kel was lighter and easy to reasemble. I will trust this for my cc but wish I kept the Keltec, just my veiw!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Love mine, just dont limp wrist it at all, mine needs the death grip or ftf happens. When my wife shoots it it wont chamber the next round it stops at the ramp. When you grip it firm I have zero problems with it! Takedown is easy,kinda dick around gettin the pin back in its finiky about going in.Shootin the winchesters defence hollow points works well threw it. I like this gun pretty well but I wish I had not sold my Keltec 380 I had zero problems with it! I thought the kel was lighter and easy to reasemble. I will trust this for my cc but wish I kept the Keltec, just my veiw!
I have a PF-9 but last time at Range was major malfxns, jam-rechamber-fire, jam-rechamber-fire... never had the problem prior :(

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
I have no issues, to me with mine. The only thing is that after say 100 rds, the slide starts getting dirty and sometimes has a time getting to full battery. That is the only times it does it but since its not a range gun, I'm not worried

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no issues, to me with mine. The only thing is that after say 100 rds, the slide starts getting dirty and sometimes has a time getting to full battery. That is the only times it does it but since its not a range gun, I'm not worried
My PT 140 MilPro owners manual states clean after every 200rds fired. Of course, frequent CLP is good practice but leads me to believe Taurus are "dirt sensitive", if that makes sense, lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Got mine in November. Due to NY weather I have been limited to 135 rounds at the range but it ate everything I fed it. Mine is a "C" model (as I said November) and I have done no modifications to it. I rate mine a 10. Goes bang each time I pull the trigger. Got a Desantis G3 in-pocket holster which fits perfectly. I also added a Pachmyer slip on grip to save my hand. I cleaned and lubed the gun out of the box, and I do so after each session. Takedown is simple. A hint for re-assembly that I found works with the "C"'s is to just slightly insert the takedown pin just enough to push that metal rail down, move the slide to the rear making sure the barrel stays forward and then push the pin the rest of the way in. There are some good Youtube videos showing the whole process. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd give it a 9 and the only reason I don't say 10 is because when I go to clean it and clear the weapon the one in the chamber jams everytime. Never had any issues while shooting though, just while clearing it. Don't know why and honestly don't care as long as while I'm shooting it it goes bang everytime. It's a great little gun, pretty accurate to be so small, just put some paint on the sights so you can pick them up better. I have the C version. Good luck.

Oh and I have about 300 rounds through mine and have not done any mods to it or the mag at all, just keep it clean and lubed

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
I would give mine 9 out of 10 only because the sights suck. A little patience and a few drops of paint will make them better. It is a short range pocket gun, and I practice point and shoot any way. I carry mine daily.

…because when I go to clean it and clear the weapon the one in the chamber jams everytime…
I have experienced this problem only with ammo that is near or exceeds the SAAMI max OAL. Hornady Critical Defense comes to mind. I found I had to really rack the slide hard to kick them out without them jamming. I do not have that problem with Hornady XTP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still getting used to mine. I also have a Glock 19 9mm and I've never had a FTF / jam / etc with that gun.

With the TCP, at first I was having 2 out of every 6 bullets FTF. My 2nd trip to the range it was down to 2 out of every 18, give or take. The fact that it's improving by itself tells me that the problem is with me and my grip - not the gun itself. Went through about 100 rounds of MagTech during those 2 trips.

After MagTech I switched to Remington (95 grain, I think) and they performed even better. I've also shot about 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense - never had a single problem with that ammo. But it isn't cheap! (About 75 cents a round, I think.)

Overall it's a good gun. I really like it, and feel comfortable carrying only it. That being the case, it makes an excellent BUG to my Glock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.