Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
andylibby said:
Eric, I am a bit surprised you didn't mention polishing the feed ramp which is one thing mine needed and I did it with noticeable positive results.

I will follow your advice and directions on the other enhancements.

Thanks for the info.
Hello andylibby,

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I did polish the feed ramp but this is one aspect of an upgrade that if over-done can ruin a pistol so I intensionally omitted it. My ramp was pretty good from the factory so it only needed minor work.

Hello Gord,

I will elaborate on what to look for in in the extractor soon.....when I get the time...

Rgsd
ERic

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Gord said:
Hi,

Can you elaborate on reshaping the extractor? It's a little hard to tell what exactly you did - as I'm reading (and seeing) it, it looks to me like you beveled the bottom corner at a ~45* angle?
Hello,

First lets start with terminology so everyone is using the same terms:

Here are three basic terms: Nose, Claw and Tensioning Wall

I had an interference between my extractor nose and case bevel that wouldn't allow the case rim to sit properly inside the extractor but rather the nose hit the case.

I removed material from the extractor nose to allow the case to sit properly in the extractor and also allow the case to sit against the breechface: (Note that the loaded chamber indicator complicates this because the rim needs to push it out against the tensioning wall)

Here is a graphic showing a 1911 extractor and the small gap needed to allow the system to work properly:

I hope this helps.

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
27 Posts
egumpher,

I get the primer shadow that you show, but my question is, is the case supposed to set tightly to the breach face?

This weapon is new to me and has been returned to the factory for failure to feed issues - all types and brands of ammunition. So when it was returned, I took it to the range for testing and still had one or two failure to feed. ( out of 40 rounds )

When I looked over the spent brass, I noticed that the cases were gouged from the extractor. On a whim, I tried to put a spent case back into the weapon, by sliding it in from the bottom, as if it were being stripped from the magazine, and noticed that it was difficult to get it under the extractor . When I did get it in, I noticed a gap between the breach face and the bottom of the case.

There have never been any failure to eject.

I'm a new shooter and new to this forum, so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had similar issues, I sent mine to Miami with a detailed list of what the weapon was doing wrong. They did an amazing job and she has not had an issue since I got her back.... Clean or dirty she performs. I even tried to limp wrist her.... She still ejected and fed everything. As someone here said, 120% reliability is what you want with a SD weapon. I trust this little Gun 150%!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let her go to Miami...She will thank you!

·
Registered
723 Posts
deepair3 said:
I had similar issues, I sent mine to Miami with a detailed list of what the weapon was doing wrong. They did an amazing job and she has not had an issue since I got her back.... Clean or dirty she performs. I even tried to limp wrist her.... She still ejected and fed everything. As someone here said, 120% reliability is what you want with a SD weapon. I trust this little Gun 150%!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let her go to Miami...She will thank you!
Did Taurus 'knock' the corner off the extractor? Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yep looks like they were.... knocked off. I am not a gunsmith, but the edges have been smoothed off. Does that help?

·
Registered
723 Posts
deepair3 said:
Yep looks like they were.... knocked off. I am not a gunsmith, but the edges have been smoothed off. Does that help?
It must 'help' some. Sounds like from your post its shootin' better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hasn't had a hiccup since......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
triker said:
egumpher,

I get the primer shadow that you show, but my question is, is the case supposed to set tightly to the breach face?
Hello triker,

Yes and no......there should be some slop in chamber to breechface for every round fired. This slop is part of "head space" for the pistol and is critical for proper operation.

But...when the round fires the expanding gases force the case to slam back against the breach face as the same gases forces the bullet down the barrel. The forces balance until the bullet leaves the end of the barrel at which time the slide moves back with great speed to counter act the loss of mass of the bullet and expanding gas pressure. Here is an X-ray picture of a 1911 right before the bullet leaves the barrel.

Notice that the case is flush with the breech face?

This event is right before the slide moves back. The case should sit flush to the breech face to allow the extractor to do its work holding the case rim until the case hits the ejector and is thrown from the pistol.

I hope this helps. (also note that the barrel is pushed forward against the locking lugs and the case is pushed back against the breech face....a picture is worth a thousand words...)

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a TCP738 and have put about 450 rounds through it. I've had a few issues which seem to be fairly common during the break in period. (Or so I've read and heard)

1. I started noticing ridged machine marks in the top of the frame rails which gave the slide a gritty feel when racking.
2. There were also burs in the corner of the feed ramp.
3. The slide would lock open with one round left in the mag.
4. The follower in both my mags had too much play from side to side, and the follower would move to the right and pop up over the slide stop leaver.
5. The slide stop leaver would also rub on the rounds in my mags.

I attributed these issues to the failure to eject and failure to feed problems I was having. So I lightly sanded the burs down to allow for free travel of the slide on the frame rails and I polished the feed ramp just enough to remove the burs there as well.

Then I removed the slide stop leaver from the frame and made a few adjustments to it. First I bent the internal leaver up just a tad bit to allow for free travel of the rounds in the magazine and to prevent the slide from locking with the last round still in the mag. Then I smoothed the edges a bit to allow for free travel without catching the rounds.

As for the play in the mags, I removed the followers and put several layers of clear scotch tape on the right side to eliminate the follower from popping up above the slide stop leaver. The tape is there only temporarily to test functionality, I plan on removing the tape and mixing up some clear epoxy to put a thin layer on the right side of the follower.

So far so good, but I have not had a chance to test fire it yet. However I am open to any other ideas and I have found the information here to be quite helpful.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Egumpher, I did your mods. I made the pinky bump for a better grip. I have tried several brands of .380. I am still having extraction problems on 2nd or 4th round. Maybe the extractor tension or magazine lips ? The funny thing about last test today was that the decade old Winchester silver tips shot great., Stan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi again, It seems that the fired case is being slowed down or stopped by the ridge on the next cart. coming up from the mag. I am ready to sent back to Taurus and see what they do. Not 100 % yet like my colt 1911 combat elite. I want to trust this pistol, Stan

·
Registered
610 Posts
My vote would be to send it back to Taurus, otherwise you will never completely trust the gun. If your TCP is less than 1 year old they pay shipping both ways and make it as painless as possible. Last I heard turn around was several days to several weeks. It sounds like your extractor may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
179 Posts
2 weeks in Miami and mine has been flawless for 300 or so rounds. I would also look at Pacmayr glove. It is awesome and makes the fit in your hand amazing. It also makes a difference in the recoil. You WILL see a difference in your shot groups.
http://www.pachmayr.com/tactical-grip-gloves.php

·
Registered
19 Posts
egunpher, I finally got to the range and tried the pinky bump and new ammo, Interersting. The pinky bump worked well except maybe needs more bulk forwards. The ammo was interesting. I tried fed hydroshock, hornady critical defence and american eagle and decades old Winchester silver tips. The ammo that worked best were the silvertips. I am thinking that as the last try that the extractor needs more tension . the extraction cart. seems to hang up on 2nd or 4th round with most. maybe some bending of the magazine lips.? I am ready to call Taurus and send it back and see what they do. Not 100%,Stan

·
Registered
141 Posts
Cool tips, what do you all recommend for polishing the metal? Like a cream polish?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
standot said:
egunpher, I finally got to the range .......The ammo that worked best were the silvertips. I am thinking that as the last try that the extractor needs more tension . the extraction cart. seems to hang up on 2nd or 4th round with most. maybe some bending of the magazine lips.? I am ready to call Taurus and send it back and see what they do. Not 100%,Stan
Hello,

It sound like the extractor may be too loose and allows the case to drop away from the extractor but this problem is usually manifest on last round of a magazine because there is no round below it to push up on spent case up.

A simple test is to remove the slide, recoil spring and barrel. Insert a spent cartridge under the extractor then see if you can shake he case free with moderate shaking. The case should hold firm.

Rgds
Eric

21 - 40 of 205 Posts