Taurus Firearm Forum banner

TCP 738 Issue

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  youngandfree 
#1 ·
I have a feed issue with my 738. The slide is locking back and hanging. I have read various forums and watched videos with some thinking the magazine needs bending slightly out at the top. I have saw other that say file the small piece that catches the notch when the mag is empty and locks the slide open. I do think the small metal tab is rubbing against the bullet and causes the slide to hang back. I have had the issue with personal defense, hollow point and FMJ rounds. Any suggestions other than returning to Taurus. My PT-145 has been at Taurus for 5 weeks waiting for inspection / repairs related to the lawsuit. I really do not want to send this one too and have to wait month(s) for service.

#2 ·
If it's hanging with rounds in the magazine, then the slide lock tab is probably the primary culprit. Have you taken a very close look at the bullet in the magazine when it hangs up? You say it happens with many bullet types; do all of those bullets touch the tab?

Oh, hey, it's your first post; welcome to the forum!

#3 ·
you might look at the TCP enhancements post at the top of the page.
decide IF you want to try this, if not then ??
in any case a non reliable firearm in a self defense scenario is more than worthless, after all its just more weight that you must carry while trying to run away.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Take the slid off and load your magazine full and insert it into the gun. Does the bullet touch the slide lock tab? Take one cartridge out of the magazine and check again. Continue this until the magazine is empty. As cartridges feed out of the magazine the cartridges below them may slightly work forward. This is usually why the last one or two cartridges come in contact with the tab. With the slide off you can see where the contact is and can slightly file the tab to prevent this from happening.

#5 ·
Yep common problem...even with some of the E series (I have an E ) what everyone is saying to do with the tab and filing it is the solution. File a little at a time and keep checking for it to feed properly.

#6 ·

If this is your issue and you don't want to mess with it then sending it to Miami or finding ball ammo that fits without touching the slide lock tab will be your only options. I found that PMC and Aguila ran OK through my d series....but I don't use Agyila anymore. What series by the way?

#8 ·
I put a tapered extra fine grinding tip in my Dremel today and fixed this issue. Kinda peeves me though, Taurus has yo have been aware of this for quite some time. I like the size and price of this pistol but I think I am done with the brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I put a tapered extra fine grinding tip in my Dremel today and fixed this issue. Kinda peeves me though, Taurus has yo have been aware of this for quite some time. I like the size and price of this pistol but I think I am done with the brand.
well generally speaking that's what you get in under 200-300 dollar weapons, a lot of variation.
thats why they are the price they are, not a lot of hand fitting or inspecting
Sure some are fine and near perfect out of the box, then a certain number are not so fine or near perfect.
What was it Forrest said?
like a box of Chokalets!!-------------------------:D

Reactions: GreenWolf70
#11 ·
Only half kidding

TCPs seem to need a little TLC to get them running properly. I believe Taurus does this to give the guys who always want to customize their weapon with personal adjustments (e.g. upgraded trigger, improved sights, better grips, lights, knives, range finders, etc.–you know what I mean) something to do. This way, they can play gunsmith with these Tauri and have fun customizing their gun, and it saves Taurus a bundle getting the buyer to do the finish work.

#12 ·
Mine goes back today for warranty repairs? They have had my PT-145 for over a month. I sent it back under terms of the lawsuit settlement concerning several models. If I ever get the back, they are going up for sale. They aren't worthy to be amongst my S&W's, Sigs and FN Herstals & Walther. . I am done with Taurus.

#13 ·
Sorry to hear that. My Taurii have all been outstanding, but I know that doesn't mean much to you at the moment.

#14 ·
I have a series E that I just purchased and it has the same problem. After about 3-4 mags out of box after cleaning and lube the slide would lock open with 2-4 rounds in the mag. This happened every magazine after the first 20-30 rounds. Drop the slide and finish shooting mag. I was shooting S&B 92 gr. fmj. I now have 2 new magazines with pearce grip bases on them. Will shoot some Winchester 95 gr. fmj and some Gold Dot 90 gr. jhp to see how the TCP functions before doing hold open mod.

#16 ·
It's too bad you sent the pt145 back before they have declared what they are actually going to do with them.

The other side of that coin is that you can't use the current pt145 situation as a comparison to normal warranty repair issues. My pt145 works fine and is staying right where it is until Taurus publishes an official declaration on what they are going to do with them

As well, comparing a micro pistol to a S&W, or FNH is apples to oranges. Obviously tolerances have to be much closer in the tiny pistol than a fullsize or even a compact gun. When the TCP comes back, I'll be happy to rid you of your burden for $50

#17 ·
I am sure you would, lol. You have good points, but I wasn't comparing a $200 Taurus to a $600+ Sig or S&W. I will say that Taurus got my 738 back to me in perfect working order in a short period of time. I will admit to being a bit irritated when I made my original post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.