Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does the TCP 738 have a Internal Safety?

I everyone. I've been lurking around for a few months and finally decided to do my first post.

I want to get the TCP 738 as my conceal carry gun, and was wondering if you TCP experts knew if the pistol has a internal safety that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled. Something like a hammer block or firing pin block, and something that also makes the gun drop safe.

I know the TCP hammer is at rest in a half-cocked position. Call me crazy, but I'm always worried about Murphy's Law showing up and a catastrophic failure in the pistol that causes the hammer to release from half-cocked.

Guns don't go off by themselves, but I'm a safety freak and it wold be nice to know that there is some sort of internal safety in place.

The TCP has that key lock thing that completely disables the gun, but I'm talking about is a internal safety that only allows the gun to fire if the trigger is pulled, and prevents firing if there is a catastrophic failure or if the gun is dropped.

I know this is the place to go for all things Taurus, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hang tight!

Some of our resident Taurus handgun gurus will be along shortly to address your question. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, it is my pleasure to welcome you to TaurusArmed.net, the friendliest handgun forum on the Internet. :wave:

Reactions: jamain

·
Registered
496 Posts
I felt uneasy about it myself. So with a round in the chamber and pointed down range I have banged on it every which way. Dropped the mag out and slammed it into place. Nothing. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it but I couldn't force it to fire with out pulling the trigger. I would still like the gun MFGs to use a squeeze cocker, striker fire rather than a DAO or a half DAO. I think it would be safer and the trigger would be nicer. It would drive the cost up some.

·
Registered
157 Posts
No......as far as I know the Taurus TPC does not have an active safety like a firing pin block or 1/2 cock safety notch......nor does it have an active safety like a thumb safety...

The only safety a TCP has is a looooooong trigger pull...

A TCP or LCP in nothing more than a repackaged KELTEC P3AT.....which has no safeties ...
Rgds
Eric

Rgds
Eric

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I felt uneasy about it myself. So with a round in the chamber and pointed down range I have banged on it every which way. Dropped the mag out and slammed it into place. Nothing. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it but I couldn't force it to fire with out pulling the trigger. I would still like the gun MFGs to use a squeeze cocker, striker fire rather than a DAO or a half DAO. I think it would be safer and the trigger would be nicer. It would drive the cost up some.
Well the hammer on the 738 is in the half coked position and so is not in contact with the firing pin, add to this that the design of the 738 has a very well protected hammer, so i would imagine that it would likey need to be beat into pieces to get a good whack at hititng the hammer with an external object.
typically i think from reports of short stroking the trigger and getting failure to fire that even if the hammer did fall with such light spring presure its unlikely to fire.
just my 2 cents.-course I carry a Sig 238 cocked and locked so a hybrid hammer doesn;t bother me at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess that rules out appendix carry ... at least until I'm done having kids. :D

Seriously though, I'll probably give the gun a couple good test whacks myself when I get one, just to be sure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello,

Sorry to be picky but the half cocked hammer concept was invented by John Moses Browning and used it on the 1911 design because in the early 1900s most people used revolvers and they knew how to lower the hammer on a revolver using their thumb....thus making them safe.....recall they where mostly single action revolvers... So JMB designed the 1911 hammer to allow the user to lower a fully cocked hammer to a half cock position with their thumb thereby placing the pistol in a safe condition.

As far as I know the TCP doesn't have a half cock hammer position nor can the hammer be lowered to a safe position.......although the hammer is partially cocked it is not the same concept as half cocked.....

The TCP has a partially cocked hammer before you pull the trigger....not half cocked...

Rgsd
Eric

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If I understand what you are looking for, it is knowledge that the hammer can not hit the firing pin when dropped.

By taking the hammer to a partially cocked position and one from which it can not go forward unless unless the hammer continues through the rest of the firing cycle (goes to fully cocked and released), the design prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin. If the slide goes to the rear (as in dropped and hits front of slide first), the partially cocked hammer does not hit the firing pin but the edge of the firing pin cut out, preventing any hammer to FP contact (which I think is what you were asking about). So the design itself is a passive sort of firing pin safety in that the hammer can not go forward while in the partially cocked position and if the slide goes back the firing pin still does not come in contact with the hammer face due to the angle of the hammer and the height of the firing pin cut out. And since the hammer returns to the partially cocked position when the slide cycles, even a drop that fully cycles the slide would not allow the hammer to hit the FP. It can only hit the FP when the trigger is released allowing the hammer to go fully forward and even then it can only hit the FP if the slide is fully in battery. Now some idiot could stick a small screw driver or large nail in through the back of the slide and strike the FP, but that is about it AFAIK.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
Hello,

The TCP has a partially cocked hammer before you pull the trigger....not half cocked...
Rgsd
Eric
DUDE! you are a trip!
so if the partially cocked hammer is say about half way back, then would that be half cocked, or half uncocked????
kind if a stretch to compare the half cocked notch of a exposed hammered 1911 to the protected hmmer of the 738, don't you think?
you get to hung up in terminology at times.
but in any case hopefully the OP has his answer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello and great points GreenWolf70.....I was only referring to terminology.....not function....the term "half cock" has a specific meaning to some readers like me.....

As far a safety features like 1/4 cock, partial cock, 1/2 cock all prevent/block the hammer from contacting the firing pin which by itself is a big deal because the TCP does not have an inertial firing pin like a 1911 and many other pistols. An inertial firing pin is thrown forward by the hammer after it strikes it at speed and used weak pin springs...many modern pistols use firing pin blocks that stop/block the inertial firing in place until the trigger is pulled. The TCP has an active firing pin that is driven directly into the bullet primer by the hammer force. This type firing pin typically, like the TCP, uses a strong firing pin spring that is less prone to inertial fires like dropping a pistol...

So yes.....the TCP has a safety....it has a strong firing pin spring that is less prone to inertial (drop) discharge.....and yes, I don't like to call it a 1/2 cock because that term is typically reserved for inertial firing pin systems....

Rgsd
Eric

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
As I understand it, (and regardless of where the hammer actually resides once the first round has been chambered), the "safety" of a DAO semi is the long, intentional trigger pull! An adequate holster and familiarity, (i.e.- practice) with your firearm
should protect your "package" during and well beyond your child bearing aspirations.

If you are still uneasy, get a pistol with a de-cocking lever, an external safety, or both!

Jeez.....

Reactions: taurustoter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and can give you some insight and experience on how I know the TCP cannot and will not fire if dropped. I had mine in my holster and somehow the entire holster and gun fell from my pants and landed on the asphalt in a parking lot. Luckily, no one saw it or anything but it did not go off at all. That was probably from about 3 feet.

Also had a question and I do not know how to post a new thread yet so here goes. I need to know if engaging the TSS while a round is in the chamber will hurt the gun as I have done this a few times so far. I do not like not having a round in the chamber but I also need to lock it up if I go into a place where guns are not allowed...ie: hospital. I usually engage the TSS and then lock it in my console next to my seat so just in case someone were to get to it they could not use it. Just need to know if this is safe for the gun?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hello, I am new to the forum and can give you some insight and experience on how I know the TCP cannot and will not fire if dropped. I had mine in my holster and somehow the entire holster and gun fell from my pants and landed on the asphalt in a parking lot. Luckily, no one saw it or anything but it did not go off at all. That was probably from about 3 feet.

Also had a question and I do not know how to post a new thread yet so here goes. I need to know if engaging the TSS while a round is in the chamber will hurt the gun as I have done this a few times so far. I do not like not having a round in the chamber but I also need to lock it up if I go into a place where guns are not allowed...ie: hospital. I usually engage the TSS and then lock it in my console next to my seat so just in case someone were to get to it they could not use it. Just need to know if this is safe for the gun?
Greetings from SW Illinois. To start a mew thread, go to "Forum" (upper left hand corner of the menu bar) and click on the "+ Post New Thread" button just above the lost of threads, again on the left hand side of the screen.

Regarding your question about the TSS, that's a good question, and I don't know the answer. I have asked the question before and didn't get an answer. Hopefully someone will come along soon and answer your question. Otherwise, a new thread may be in order.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Okay, so I did get an answer. Must not have subscribed to that thread. Duh. A belated thanks to Wino, although I'll wait for something more definitive. Here is that post.

Originally Posted by Falstaff
Hey, folks. I am travelling with two guns, and may want to lock one using the Taurus Security System. The TCP Manual says not to use the lock with one in the chamber. I prefer to keep one in the pipe. Does anyone know why they have this suggestion? To prevent accidental discharge? Or because of the mechanics of the lock itself? Many thanks!

According to Taurus manual instructions the firing pin must NOT be cocked BEFORE engaging TSS - But believe this to be a CYA situation. They say to remove mag, empty chamber, decock (decocker or pull trigger), then TSS - THEN you can reinsert loaded mag. I know of one lady that uses the TSS on her 709 with one in the chamber as she purse carries and does this when around children - according to her, there have been no problems. On driving travel trips I carry two pistols - one CC and the other in concealed holster behind passenger seat - both condition 1. I will take seat pistol to motel/hotel room, but seldom use the TSS unless I expect to leave the pistol unattended for a length of time, then I will unload and lock. I do use the TSS on guns out of service, unloaded and locked away from access.

Well, that was a long dissertation that did not answer your question. LOL For me, I guess if Taurus (or any manufacturer) says "don't do it", I don't do it - although I do use 147gr. 9MM SD ammo, so do not always obey instructions.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wackol

You can do like iam I bought a trigger stop for mine when im carrying it
I got it off of ebay for 10 bucks and all you have to do is push it out and
your ready to shoot. also welcome to the fourms there are some very nice guys
on here that are really helpful

Take Care and good luck
Jeff

·
Banned
860 Posts
I bought my 2 TCPs because they are one of the safest concealed carry guns available. As for the Taurus Security System (TSS), I never have had an occasion where I thought it was necessary to engage it. If I need to prevent accidental or negligent discharges I will simply unload the gun to prevent that from happening. Guns with de-cockers are less safe than the TCP because in the heat of a situation of firing the gun, the decocker may be forgotten to be de-cocked and thus the gun may be re-holstered with the hammer cocked and "not" locked. I have a Sig with this de-cock feature and I will not let it be carried by anyone in the family that may forget to de-cock it. The main reason I bought the TCP 380 is because they are safe and and dependable. If it needs to be used at a moments notice, you don't need to remember to take the safety off or undo the TSS, just point and shoot. Everyone can do that!

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
I bought my 2 TCPs because they are one of the safest concealed carry guns available. As for the Taurus Security System (TSS), I never have had an occasion where I thought it was necessary to engage it. If I need to prevent accidental or negligent discharges I will simply unload the gun to prevent that from happening. Guns with de-cockers are less safe than the TCP because in the heat of a situation of firing the gun, the decocker may be forgotten to be de-cocked and thus the gun may be re-holstered with the hammer cocked and "not" locked. I have a Sig with this de-cock feature and I will not let it be carried by anyone in the family that may forget to de-cock it. The main reason I bought the TCP 380 is because they are safe and and dependable. If it needs to be used at a moments notice, you don't need to remember to take the safety off or undo the TSS, just point and shoot. Everyone can do that!
First? how is the TCP the most safe weapon for conceal carry?
Thats bogus!
Just because it rides in half cock hammer position certainly doesn't make it the safest, IT is a safe weapon but then so is the vast majority of other modern pistols now available.
just because you don't understand the inner workings of the weapon doesn't make the TCP the most safe for conceal, additionally if a weapon has a decocker and the decocker is used correctly then its as safe If not more so than the TCP.
A decocker should not come into play at all when firing the weapon, its used to provide a safe manner in which to carry the weapon.
because one does not use proper safety measures when handling a firearm doesn't mean the firearm is not safe.
I use the TCP as an example only because you mention the particular weapon, again most all modern handguns are very safe, its the human beings that screw things up 99.99999 of the time.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts

?
Well in a nut shell, because of the design of the TCP, first I believe it has a firing pin block, unless the trigger is fully rearward the firing pin is blocked from moving forward, and if thats not the case? I don't carry my TCP any longer so I would need to look at it!
second supposedly the hammer rides in a half cocked position, and supposedly the hammer does not have enough force from that position to actually ignite the primer of the cartridge and finally the hammer is supposedly tested to resist force that a simple drop would make the mechanism tear off and allow the hammer to move forward, IE: the hammer should break off before being set free to drop on the firing pin.
all this Is typical of all modern handguns pretty much, well except many don't ride in half cock.

·
Banned
860 Posts
First? how is the TCP the most safe weapon for conceal carry?
Thats bogus!
Just because it rides in half cock hammer position certainly doesn't make it the safest, IT is a safe weapon but then so is the vast majority of other modern pistols now available.
just because you don't understand the inner workings of the weapon doesn't make the TCP the most safe for conceal, additionally if a weapon has a decocker and the decocker is used correctly then its as safe If not more so than the TCP.
A decocker should not come into play at all when firing the weapon, its used to provide a safe manner in which to carry the weapon.
because one does not use proper safety measures when handling a firearm doesn't mean the firearm is not safe.
I use the TCP as an example only because you mention the particular weapon, again most all modern handguns are very safe, its the human beings that screw things up 99.99999 of the time.
"one of the most safe" not the safest. I was not dissing all the other safe guns on the market. I can name others.

Quoting you "A decocker should not come into play at all when firing the weapon": After firing a gun with a decocker the hammer is left cocked and must be de-cocked to be safe to reholster.

·
Registered
36,084 Posts
"one of the most safe" not the safest. I was not dissing all the other safe guns on the market. I can name others.

Quoting you "A decocker should not come into play at all when firing the weapon": After firing a gun with a decocker the hammer is left cocked and must be de-cocked to be safe to reholster.
Exactly! thats PROPER safety procedure, just like placing the thumb safety on with a 1911, its the design of the weapon.
The same is /can be true for putting your finger on the trigger while reholstering, so In that scenrio the TCP could be one of the most UNSAFE weapons to pocket carry, but then again thats not proper safe handling of the weapon.
an no a weapon with a decocker doesn' have to b e decocked to be safely placed in a holster, you just need to keep your finger off the trigger while doing so, kind of like the TCP!
but I would say that any weapon with a manual safety VS a weapon without a manual safety, a weapon with a decocker VS no decocker is not safer , same with a grip safety VS no grip safety, same with hammer block VS no hammer block, etc, etc, etc.
doesn't really matter how you carry the weapon in my opinion.
because one does not follow proper safety methods does not reflect on the weapon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts