Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered in the past but being I am new since November 2012 and several others have since acquired a TCP 738 I thought I would mention an issue with the "official" Instruction Manual which came with my Taurus.

Regarding disassembly and assembly, the manual clearly states that to disassemble you should lock the slide back in the rear position and then remove the disassembly latch (I call it takedown pin). You then carefully release the catch and pull the slide forward off the frame. AT that point you remove the barrel, springs etc., clean the gun and reassemble by reversing the whole procedure, including again locking the slide back before then inserting the takedown pin. Here's the issue: that process will not work with my gun. It won't work to remove the slide nor will it work to replace the slide.

I remove the pin with the mag removed but the slide in the "home" or shooting position. I do the cleaning then just start the takedown pin into the frame just enough to hold it in place. I then push the slide back into the home or shooting position, then push the pin the rest of the way in. This method has worked for me the dozen or more times I have cleaned the gun.

I really like this gun so this is not meant as a slam at Taurus products but I feel that the instructions are either flawed or for an earlier model (mine is a C). Either way, this is an example of why some of us have been forced to "wing it" to clean the gun. My way works fine. The Taurus way won't work at all. Anyone else find this issue when cleaning their 738?? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I take mine apart just like the instructions say with out any issues. Not sure why yours won't work that way. I may try taking mine apart as you described to see if I can.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Mine is a "C" model and I can take it apart either way, so I normally do it like the manual says...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just because you don't follow the legal talk instructions in the manual doesn't mean they are wrong.
It DOES mean they are wrong if the gun won't come apart OR go back together if using their instructions. And mine won't. That means one of two things: either the instructions are wrong or something is wrong with the gun.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I take mine and the wife's apart according to the instructions. Both are 'C' models. If yours comes apart a different way, and you are comfortable doing it a different way, it should not be a problem. If you don't want to do it that way, then call Taurus Customer Service and explain the problem to them and follower their recommendations. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the manual, and if yours won't breakdown according to the manual, then the problem is with your gun.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Let me add this as well. With the slide locked back when I take out the take down pin sometimes barrel will slide back some. In this case I can not get the slide off until I put the barrel back into the correct position. If I remember to keep the barrel pointed down I don't have this problem. Same with reassembly, when racking the slide back to put in the pin, sometimes the barrel will slide back with the slide and the gun will not go back together.

I have been carrying my PT-145 the last few days so I have not really had a chance to play with the TCP breakdown. Maybe tonight I will have time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Mine is a C serial#; I can do it by the instructions. I haven't tried it another way. Have thought that there should be an easier way - the take down pin can be tough to get stsrted.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me add this as well. With the slide locked back when I take out the take down pin sometimes barrel will slide back some. In this case I can not get the slide off until I put the barrel back into the correct position. If I remember to keep the barrel pointed down I don't have this problem. Same with reassembly, when racking the slide back to put in the pin, sometimes the barrel will slide back with the slide and the gun will not go back together.

I have been carrying my PT-145 the last few days so I have not really had a chance to play with the TCP breakdown. Maybe tonight I will have time.
I DO remember that part. If the barrel is not forward the pin won't go in correctly. I'll try again Wednesday using that method after I exercise it a bit. I know if others can follow the manual then the manual must be right. At any rate, I may call Taurus just to confirm I can do it my way, which has been working like a charm, especially when re-inserting the pin. I do like the gun and have been lurking about to see what else they have that catches my fancy.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
So I tried taking my TCP apart just now without locking the slide back. Pin was harder to remove and as soon as it came free the slide popped forward about an 1/8 of an inch. I could not get the pin back in without working the slide back and forth a little bit. Much easier on mine to follow the instructions in the manual.

Also as a correction to my post above. When locking back the slide and taking the pin out, if the barrel moves forward the slide will not come off. When putting the slide back on, the barrel can slide back to not allow the pin to go back in.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
I follow thee instructions to take apart- but can' get the pin back in unless I start it before replacing the slide. I'm on my 3rd 738, all 3 were like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts