Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everone,
My thoughts and question is how accurate is the little TCP PT 738? I have a great working pistol only a few hicups when I first brought it with ftf. Simple fix and the help from the good guys in Miami it eats everything. Although my shots seem to be way low and to the left. I must use the bottom of the front sight at the base to be within 6 inches of the aim spot. Is this a trate or maybe I am just not holding or sighting properly.
Please Advise.
thank Syd :)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
To help figure out if it's you or the gun, shoot it from a steady benchrest to make sure you aren't pulling/pushing it during the last little bit before it fires. Being DAO and such a small package, sometimes that can equate into a hard to shoot gun. Mine is relatively accurate out to about 5-7 yds, which is all the little pistol should be good for. Good luck

·
Registered
748 Posts
It is difficult to hold the TCP on target if you do not practice proper finger placement. When you shoot it next, check to see of you have the pad of your finger on the trigger, or if you have the trigger in the finger joint. If it is in the joint, you will shoot low and left (if shooting right handed). Jost a suggestion.

I am able to hold on target with the TCP at 5-7yds, but I would not want to state the size of the group. :) It is designed for close work. As long as I can put the shot on target, I am satisfied with this weapon. In a serious dust-up, being "on target" (i.e. with bull's eye at COM, any where on the target, or in the circle, will still hit the body of the BG) is what I expect to do. It will discourage the BG from continuing, and will keep the bullet (9mm JHP) from over penetration or from going walk about to hit bystanders. Beyond that range, I am not firing.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
The TCP738 is a good gun and they are accurate, but hard to shoot straight. As others have mentioned, low and left is common when shooting the little gun. Do try the suggestions mentioned and practice will help. Keep the pad of the finger on the trigger and concentrate on pulling straight back while focusing on the front sight. you will get better with it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've been amazed by how accurate mine is given its diminutive size. The bench rest suggestion was good. Another thing you might try is using snap caps. I had a similar experience when I first bought my single-stack 9mm and when I used snap caps I could see that I was "pulling" the muzzle during the trigger pull. It help me control it better and I think helped with the TCP. The only real difference was the 9mm's rear sight is adjustable, where the TCP's is not. I also used a paint stick from Wal-Mart to make "3-dot" sights - helps me a little with staying on target

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just got my TCP a week ago. I would say it is very accurate. This target is from 7 yards. I have a Kahr CM9 also that I shoot alot also, so I am used to shooting little guns. Matter of fact it is a thrill to see how well you can shoot them. Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't bother using the tiny sight on the TCP. I have a blued version and they are nearly useless. I practice point and shoot one handed and can keep my groups inside a small paper plate at 7 yds. Not the pocket gun sniper n9znd is but good enough to get it done. So yes I believe it is a very accurate gun at its intended distance use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pocket Sniper-Not!!! LOL. Sometimes I leave the range and think, wow I shot so bad my 2 year old grandson could out shoot me. That was the best target. Here is another one. I did paint my front sight and really I am amazed how accurate it really is. And the inner tube really helps with the bite a little. Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
I painted both the front and rear sites which helped a lot. This little gun is no sharp shooter but if held steady it shoots where you point it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What else could you ask for? That is great shooting and the job would be done. The only pocket 380 that shoots as well is a Kahr P380. But they are more than twice the price. The LCP sucked I thought. Jim

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mine shoots pretty darn straight. I have some trouble with the trigger pull and while my shots are center I pull them down and string them and that's all on me not my 738.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all I was at the range with my pistol rest. Steadied my aim point at the bottom of the front sight squeezed the trigger with the pad of my finger. Once I saw were I was shooting I was able to correct with ease at 7 yrds. and at about 3 yrds much easier.
Then used one hand shoot with armed extended and I have improved to make body mass shots. Now the little pistol is even better. Not a range or target gun,but a self defense and backup pistol. That is what it is designed for and that is OK with me.
Now to get a range pistol.
Syd.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

My note says 732B but it is my 738B. I've found my pistol extremely accurate to point of aim with my cast bullet. POA is bottom line of box, centered. Box sitting on sights.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I practice at 7 yards. Point shooting 4-6 inch groups. Can get those down if I used the sights but I would rather keep sharp with out using the sights.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Agree with the "pad of the finger" advice, and it looks like you are getting a handle on it.
It is, after all, a LITTLE PISTOL. It's not meant for sub-MOA at the range, it's made to cause an attacker to quickly go to "plan B, plan C" at that moment.
It is indeed very good at that!

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
well i pretty much expect about 5-6 inch groups with 10 rounds at out to 7 yards or so with my TCP.
that is when I practice with it, as i have a sig 238 that i carry now!
while with plenty of practice and great form i am sure the lil pistol would perform at farther ranges, its purpose I think is a "get OFF me gun" and so thats plenty enough accurate for me.
I think that the best thing one can do is to hi light the sights (especially the front sight) on the gun, even in a close encounter your eye can pick up the front sight quickly.
there are a couple threads floating around about how and what to use to do this.
shooter form and becoming accustomed to the gun is the best recipe for accuracy with these micro pocket pistols.

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
Not a range or target gun,but a self defense and backup pistol. That is what it is designed for and that is OK with me.
Now to get a range pistol.
Syd.
maybe something like this, just slightly larger, and slightly heavier than the TCP 738 but might meet your needs nicely!
Springfield 1911 A-1 Range officer- 45 acp, again a bit larger and heavier than the 380 bullet but!!-LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi everone,
My thoughts and question is how accurate is the little TCP PT 738? I have a great working pistol only a few hicups when I first brought it with ftf. Simple fix and the help from the good guys in Miami it eats everything. Although my shots seem to be way low and to the left. I must use the bottom of the front sight at the base to be within 6 inches of the aim spot. Is this a trate or maybe I am just not holding or sighting properly.
Please Advise.
thank Syd :)
If I read yours right, I have the same problem. Have to basically set the bottom of the front sight on top of the rear sights to be on target. I have targets printed on 8.5x11" paper, and at 5-7 yards every shot will be on the paper, but all over it. But they are all center mass hits so that's what counts with this little pistol.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
My typical targets, 25 feet, one hand standing unsupported, two mags (13 rounds) rapid fire. Silhouette targets. For some reason I don't understand the flyer is always the first shot.

Modified my sights a few years ago. Cut groves with Dremel and cutoff disk, painted white and filled with clear epoxy. I added glow in the dark (GID) powder to the epoxy, but it is not need as you will get very bright sights using just white. Trick is the groves bring in more light while still appearing as dots from behind.

This is an old picture from when I still had a black Duracoat finish on the slide, but shows how the slots appear as dots when aiming.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts