Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son is home from college for Thanksgiving so he asked if we could go our shooting today. One of the pistols we took was my PT-738 which I carry every day in my pocket.

I have had the ammo in the pistol for about 6 months now. I haven't been out practicing. I had two magazines loaded with Winchester PDX1 ammo and one in the chamber. I handed it to my son and first round went boom! Pieces flew everywhere. Guy next to us was confused as something nearly hit him. My son was extremely lucky as he was not injured. The trigger flew out and bruised his finger and the back of the frame flew off and hit him in the forehead but didn't hurt him. He looked very confused and I was in disbelief.

I am so thankful that he was not injured. I looked him over for shrapnel and blood but thank God there was nothing. We spent about 30 minutes looking for parts and the case. We never did find the case.

I would guess that the round was double charged.

·
Super Moderator
13,813 Posts
I am very happy to hear that no one was hurt. Wow! It sure would be nice to know exactly what caused that to happen. I carry one of those in my pocket all the time, comfortably and with no concerns. Up to now, that is. Please keep us posted if you learn anything more.

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Wow, glad nobody was seriously hurt!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Holy Moses! I guess all things considered, it could have been worse. Glad everyone is ok. If you still have the box the ammo came in, you may want to send it and the remaining ammo back to Winchester. This could be a bad lot and if they find problems, may get you another gun and laser

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I'm so glad there were no serious injuries. Before shooting at the range, did you unload the pistol and clean it? Is it possible that a foreign object got lodged in the barrel during the 6 months of you carrying it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pistol has always been kept in a holster in my pocket. I work for a holster manufacturer and we have been developing a new ISP/IWB holster. It has been loaded, unloaded and checked at least once a week for the past 2 months. Even if there was pocket lint in the barrel, it should have never exploded like this. I would have had to have the barrel completely plugged.

I do have the remainder of the box of shells. Any ideas of where I should go from here? Should I contact Winchester? I'm sure Taurus won't do anything about it. I would guess it was the ammo, not the pistol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, this is the mag that was in the pistol. That was the next round in the mag. I am going to grab my calipers and measure them to see if there is any possibility that they were seated too deeply.

Updated:
Ok, so that was the only round out of the box that was fired. The rounds measure .9445-.9480 with the majority of them falling in the .9445 range.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow. Were you able to salvage any of the fired casing? For the amount of damage, if there was no obstruction, it looks to be either a defective/ruptured casing or and over-charged cartridge.
Glad everyone is OK.

·
Super Moderator
35,019 Posts
What happens is the rounds get fed up the feed ramp a bunch of times when you unload/load/unload/load and the ramp eventually drives the bullet in too far if the crimp isn't tight. They use an adhesive of some sort on many factory loads, I've read, to keep the bullet in place, but there might have been a problem with this in this batch of ammo. On hot self defense ammo, OAL is critical and any seating in of the bullet can dramatically raise pressures.

But, that catastrophic failure looks like an overcharge, could be the bullet seating depth, though, or a combination of the two.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Wow, that is something else! Glad no one was hurt! I have Winchester PDX1 loaded in my PT809 now....keep us posted as to what Winchester says! I would contact Taurus also, can't hurt as they may be able to help determine the cause.

·
Super Moderator
35,019 Posts
There's some .380 stuff out there which, if the velocity claims are real, scares me. Buffalo Bore is notable. I would NOT feed this stuff in a small pocket auto.

Ya know, I've always said, if you want a .357 magnum, BUY ONE, don't try to make a .38 into one. Same goes for .380 vs 9mm. if you get one of these already white hot .380 rounds and the bullet gets set back, WOW. That said, I don't know that Winchester PDX is all that hot. Winchester, like Honrady, always seems to be rather conservative with velocities. Buffalo Bore makes a living out of walking the line.

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm glad your son is alright. Sorry about your TCP. I'll be following this thread as PDX1 is what I carry in my TCP.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Can I ask a frank question here? Did you load and unload that first round a bunch of times? It looks like the rounds got set back from jacking them into and out of the chamber repeatedly, based on the second round you are showing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So to answer your question, I carry with one in the chamber. I chamber the round, and then reload the mag. Normally, the top round is exchanged/re-chambered every other time. However, as this pistol has been used for holster testing, the magazine in the pistol is emptied prior to be handed off to my R&D department. Again, this has happened at least once a week over the past two months. The rounds should be thoroughly mixed up. I have since measured every round that was in both magazines and non of them show that they have had the projectile pushed into the casing. Also, if the factory rounds are not crimped and are susceptible to having the projectile pushed back in to the case, then I'd think they have an issue with their product.

I have shot hundreds of rounds through this pistol. I have been shooting for nearly 40 years and am quite aware of the consequences of a compressed load. Anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Glad nobody was hurt, I would contact Winchester but I doubt it's the ammo even if there is some bullet setback. I would also contact Taurus see what they say, after all lifetime warranty. Time to find out how good the warranty is. Now they will probably question whether reloads were involved. So it most likely come down to whether or not they believe PDX was used. I am in no way saying I don't believe you, just what I would expect from any manufacturer.

·
Registered
31,762 Posts
Dang!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
So glad no one was hurt and I hope you find the cause of the failure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To be honest, I am just glad my boy is okay. I really wonder how I would have felt if he got hurt. My boy is a trooper, picked up my XD9 right after and got after it.

I don't really care what anyone believes, not looking for anything. Firearms are dangerous and I fully understand that. I don't figure Winchester or Taurus will do anything but I will contact both just to see. I am bummed I'm out a pistol and a laser.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.