Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke down my new 738 - and went to put it all together, the pin ( aka Disassembly latch ) has to pass through the hole on the frame and blocking the lower part of hole is a metal bar ( disassembly latch spring ) - the bar is moveable, if i press it down with a punch for example it will go down - I assume if I could get the pin in that bar would be what would catch the lip on the pin and hold it in, but, how do i get the pin past the bar ! ( I feel pretty stupid ), is there something I am not doing right that makes that bar drop out of the way? Or was I not supposed to take the pin all the way out?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,756 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I don't have a PT 738 yet and so cannot comment on the trouble you are having, but I am confident that the folks who do will be along shortly.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I kind of angle it so the edge of the pin can catch the top of the spring and push it down as I rotate the pin up to the proper position.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
You can look up how to do it on Youtube.com However, some of the models may vary on resetting the pin....as you are finding out. Walk away from it and go back to it once you have cleared your head. As you sit and hold it, look through the hole. Some slides need to be pulled back slightly, some are in place while sitting stright on the frame at rest. What ever you do, Don't force anything...it will not have the wanted results.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
You know, I've taken my daughter's 738 apart many times, and I never remember how to put that stupid pin back in...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have figured out the pin, it just takes practice. BUT, you also might try not completely removing the pin. I did this the first several times I cleaned mine. Just pull it out far enough to release the slide.

Reactions: pffftt

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also had trouble with mine the first few times I broke it down. Then I took a file and put a small bevel on the end of it. Slides right in now with no problem.

Reactions: here2serve

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
And another thing you can do is to leave the pin partially in next time, you don't have to take it all the way out.
And,,.......over time, you either get better at it or it loosens up- but it gets easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And another thing you can do is to leave the pin partially in next time, you don't have to take it all the way out.
And,,.......over time, you either get better at it or it loosens up- but it gets easier.
Good idea. I think I'll try that. I'm going to try backing the pin out enough to remove the slide without removing the pin completely from the hole.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the finest handgun forum on the Internet!

We hope you will spend a goodly portion of your spare time in 2012 getting to know us. :)

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Try putting the pin in just past the spring before you slip the slide on. works well for me..
"OR" don't completely remove it, just far enough out to remove the slide.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the same problem every time I take apart my TCP.. then about the time I want to give up, the pin goes in smooth.. never have figured out what I do differently to make it work
.. love the gun regardless :cool:

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
I have the same problem every time I take apart my TCP.. then about the time I want to give up, the pin goes in smooth.. never have figured out what I do differently to make it work
.. love the gun regardless :cool:
are you making sure the barrel is completely forward?
if the barrel slides rearward many times it will block the pin from sliding in as its not in the groove in the under barrel lug.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
are you making sure the barrel is completely forward?
if the barrel slides rearward many times it will block the pin from sliding in as its not in the groove in the under barrel lug.
I know that, but I clean my daughter's so rarely (She lives in another city, and cleans it w/ no problems after shooting), I just forget how to do it. Senior memory block...

·
Registered
27 Posts
So thankful for this site because I was having trouble too. I angled it in like someone else on here and it worked and also learned that the barrel needed to be fully forward or when you release the slide will not go fully forward. I was like what the heck. But figured it out. Thank y'all!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
So thankful for this site because I was having trouble too. I angled it in like someone else on here and it worked and also learned that the barrel needed to be fully forward or when you release the slide will not go fully forward. I was like what the heck. But figured it out. Thank y'all!
This may not be no swell hotel, but some few things we do right well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts