Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife was going to carry a Ruger LC9, but the snap of it was a little too much and she had a hard time concealing it. She choose the Taurus TCP738 but wasn't positive it was "the" one. So we purchased the most economical one we could find (aka cheapest version). I figured if she didn't like it or had problems we could find something else. Well, the little gun does pretty good and while it does have some snap, for whatever reason it is not as bad as the LC9. Here are some videos of my wife, myself and even my daughter (who recently moved up to shooting the PT1911 9mm) fires it several times. My wife shooting it and her first impressions: [video=youtube;9fSSJBBv8yI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fSSJBBv8yI"]Taurus TCP 380 Momma's New Carry Gun! - YouTube[/URL] My Daughter shooting it: First Time Shooting the Taurus TCP 738 .380 Auto - YouTube My wife with her Taurus Model 94 22LR revolver and her TCP 738 The ShootFastFun Mom on the Range with her Tauruses - YouTube[/video] Edit: Recently I painted the sites on it white. There will be more videos showing that in the future, but it is well worth painting the sights on this little gun.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Take a look at the Uplula loaders. There are two models, one for .22 - .380 and another for 9MM - .45. They are great for loading the magazines. I had the larger one and got the smaller one for the wife to use with her TCP738. Your daughter will like them too, especially shooting the PT1911. Heck, you will like them too! I know I do. They save the wear and tear on the fingers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually have one for 9mm+ but unless I'm doing more than a few magazines I rarely use it. I don't dislike it, it's a great tool. My Daughter has used it before but I prefer to make sure everyone knows how to load without one. So unless you're about to load more than a few mags... it stays in the range box. Why am I so "backward" about this you may ask? Years ago I watched a couple of women at a gun store range struggle to load a magazine until one finally gave up and went out and bought mag loader from the store. When she returned they were talking about now having two loaders and that'll teach them not to forget to bring one with them to the range and how the mags should be redesigned because they are "impossible" to load without one. Seriously? I could tell they just didn't know HOW to load the mag, it had nothing to do with not being able to load it. They hadn't fired a single shot. I decided then... if you learn from me you will know how to load a mag.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I actually have one for 9mm+ but unless I'm doing more than a few magazines I rarely use it. I don't dislike it, it's a great tool. My Daughter has used it before but I prefer to make sure everyone knows how to load without one.
Agreed... no one should need a mag loader for most 6-8 shot single stack mags. I would use one only with the hi-cap mags and only until if and when they had been sufficiently broken in. It's preferable to get by without needing a loader as a survival skill because you never know when you may not have access to one.

BTW, good videos... minus the Dept. store music.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take a look at the Uplula loaders. There are two models, one for .22 - .380 and another for 9MM - .45. They are great for loading the magazines. I had the larger one and got the smaller one for the wife to use with her TCP738. Your daughter will like them too, especially shooting the PT1911. Heck, you will like them too! I know I do. They save the wear and tear on the fingers.
I second that. Greatest invention for loading!

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you had arthritis in your hands you'd understand why people would need an Uplula or similar to load those magazines. It just plain hurts. My wife couldn't do it. She also found the TCP to be a bit too snappy and painful to shoot. In addition, she had a hard time pulling back the slide. I bought her a Ruger LC380 which is larger and has less recoil than the TCP and the slide is easier for her to operate. She's happy with her LC380 and I've adopted the TCP as my BUG either in a pocket holster or ankle holster. I like it.

·
Registered
37,123 Posts
Agreed... no one should need a mag loader for most 6-8 shot single stack mags. I would use one only with the hi-cap mags and only until if and when they had been sufficiently broken in. It's preferable to get by without needing a loader as a survival skill because you never know when you may not have access to one.
QUOTE]

Well while a healthy person should not need a mag loader, I look at it as this!
one should not need a automatic transmission in a vehicle, nor power steering, or power brakes, or even air conditioning.
so its not need one as much as WANT one.
I generally use mine for both single stack and /or double stack amagzines, not that i have to use it but i want to use it.
I personally think that if one can not understand that the round pointy end of the bullet goes forward and you need to push down against the spring to put the bullet in the mag then they likely can't work a semi auto with or without a mag loader myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts