Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy crap! Just reserved a rental car for a Houston trip and the city/county/state taxes are 36% of the rental price! $104.49 on a $286.98 rental. It's not like I've never rented a car before, but I sure don't recall them being that high. Of course most of my rentals were in more out-of-the-way places.

I did notice that renting one at a suburban location would save a couple of hundred, but there would be certain costs associated with changing everything at this point that would negate about half of the savings, plus making things more complicated, so I'm just going to put up with it.

But I feel like I just took one in the shorts.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Fees and taxes make my blood pressure rise. Just tell my the total price up front!

·
Registered
23 Posts
When renting anything it always pays to shop around. be sure to get the insurance & take cell phone video/pictures of the condition of the vehicle before you leave the lot. Do this in the presence of the sales rep if possible. getting them in the picture so they can't say they didn't know the condition of the vehicle.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That is the ever popular "screw the Tourist Tax". Most large cities hit visitors hard with hotel tax, rental car fees on top of airport based rentals vs off site agencies (a convenience fee).

Charlotte does the same and the City Gov is always promising to use that money for improvements of the infrastructure. Technically I guess they are, they use it to pay for upgrades to the NFL/NBA facilities. Like Michael Jordan can't afford it.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
That's awful! I don't rent cars all that often, but last time I did, the extra costs sure didn't add up to that much. Thsnks for the warning!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Holy crap! Just reserved a rental car for a Houston trip and the city/county/state taxes are 36% of the rental price! $104.49 on a $286.98 rental. It's not like I've never rented a car before, but I sure don't recall them being that high. Of course most of my rentals were in more out-of-the-way places.

I did notice that renting one at a suburban location would save a couple of hundred, but there would be certain costs associated with changing everything at this point that would negate about half of the savings, plus making things more complicated, so I'm just going to put up with it.

But I feel like I just took one in the shorts.
Did you rent it at an AIRPORT location or an off-Airport site?
Generally, the fees are lower off an airport location.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I get some swing back my way using Hotwire every chance that I get. The bigger the market the bigger the savings usually AND they have an independent insurer who beats the gouge by the car company every time.

My insurance company used to cover me for rentals but silently dropped it. I went a year with a few rentals without their backing and didn't know it. Grrr. fine print on a bill does NOT count. a change of service that I am paying for NEEDS to be made clear to me!!!! The car companies will try and kill you with the 'loss of income' fees that they will tag onto a car involved in an accident.

Since when did the paying customer - THE source of income become the sucker - the host for the leech to suck dry!!??

"OOoooooooohh — don't get mingaa started on this one, he'll go mean fighting mad — fire in the belly crazy — OOOooooh!"

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
The insurance package costs more then the car rental most of the time. I have not seen any car rental taxes that high yet but I always try to keep an eye out for them. I don't take the car rental insurance any more, I just pay for it with my SouthWest Airlines credit card. They specifically tell you in the credit card agreement to refuse all 3 coverages they offer that they are covered by using the credit card. Plus I get more miles as well.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
The insurance package costs more then the car rental most of the time. I have not seen any car rental taxes that high yet but I always try to keep an eye out for them. I don't take the car rental insurance any more, I just pay for it with my SouthWest Airlines credit card. They specifically tell you in the credit card agreement to refuse all 3 coverages they offer that they are covered by using the credit card. Plus I get more miles as well.
Most of the major credit cards, especially the "premium" cards, offer free CDW - Collision Damage Waiver coverage. Also in most (many?) states, comprehensive auto insurance also covers cars rented by those covered under the policy. If the car is booked under a corporate account, the contract between the employer and the rental company often included CDW, or totally waives it. When I rent a car under my government rental plan (mostly use Enterprise), not just do I get a great rate, but there is no CDW included by state contract.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'll be in touch with my CC company to look into that!!! TY! ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My State Farm covers me on rentals, as does the credit card I use. Yeah, this is an airport location. If I had planned it better (next time!) I could have gone to an off-airport rental and save $200, but it would end up costing me another $50 in airfare plus a hotel in Chicago as the flight would leave too early for us to do the three hour drive to Chicago. Some of the cost of the hotel could be offset by not having to pay for parking (using Airport Hotels - Park Sleep and Fly Packages | Free Airport Parking). Add that in and the $200 savings ends up being less than $100. Not worth the hassle.

I booked the flight before I checked out the car rental.

The other good news is Discover Card has 5% cash back on ground transportation, including rental cars, until the end of March. Plus "Your Discover Card comes with a Car Rental Insurance Plan that provides $25,000 of secondary collision damage insurance when you rent a car using your Discover Card and decline coverage offered by the rental agency."

·
Super Moderator
17,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wouldn't it be cheaper to rent a small UHAUL truck for $19.95 a day. Or has that gone up since I last rented one.
The mileage charge would kill me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I rented one in Chicago last year and it was almost 50% for taxes and fees.

of course there we all know about the government.

·
22,317 Posts
Tourists are one reason, business travelers are another.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts