Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished filing my taxes. Looks like a decent size refund is on the cards. Most of it going in to the savings account and towards other bills. :)

If am lucky and well behaved, I might have enough to put towards a middle-of-the-year firearm purchase. I am looking to stay in the 300 dollar range. Which brings me towards the bigger question - what to buy?

I am leaning towards a TCP, as I already have one .380 (Bersa) and ammo should not be a problem. The other option would be a snubby of some sort; maybe the 85 poly. Either way, the new firearm would primarily be for summer carry.

Any thoughts on these two? Or, is there anything else you would recommend? Would prefer the Taurus brand..

Reactions: leejack

·
Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
My tax return looks like it will be going toward a 6" Rossi Model 98, just around $300 as well. I need to add a .22lr revolver back to the family.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Ammo - reloading!?!? I was not interested in 22LR until recently but a 22 pistol is DEFINATELY in my future ( bought a 22LR semi auto rifle in 2012) along with something (Glock!?) in 45ACP - or possibly a 1911. Then there are the pistol caliber carbines, a new AR ground up build...

SO - you don't have a want list that you prioritize daily ( hourly) - really!?!?

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ammo - reloading!?!? I was not interested in 22LR until recently but a 22 pistol is DEFINATELY in my future along with something (Glock!?) in 45ACP - possibly a 1911. Then there are the pistol caliber carbines, a new AR ground up build...

SO - you don't have a want list that you prioritize daily ( hourly) - really!?!?
Not anymore! :) I have learned to keep that want list under check! 3 handgun purchases per year - one at tax time; one middle of the year; and one for Thanksgiving (if I can find a good deal!).

I have a full-size (Beretta PX4) and a compact 9 (pt111). Got a .22 (pistol and rifle) for plinking. Got a Bersa .380; but what I really need is a pocket carry gun for the summer.

Come Thanksgiving, I might be on the lookout for a 1911.............

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
You have a Big Bang full frame HD/SD pistol (10mm, 357 mag?!) a good shotgun?! A super carbine...? ARs rock - more than a gun - a modular gun system!!
( I will feed your addiction!)

Reactions: Sambuh

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have a Big Bang full frame HD/SD pistol, a good shotgun?! A good carbine...? ARs rock - more than a gun - a modular gun system!!
( I will feed your addiction!)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Mods - keep this guy outta this thread....

Jokes apart ... I am not a big carbine fan, just yet. I live in a condo, so storage becomes a problem too. When we move outta here next year - then I might look in to getting one of those. Same for the shotgun!

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
I usually kept my witholding down to where we had just enough to cover our tax bill. I hate letting the government use my money for a year "interest free" if I can keep from it!

This is the one time case when I will gamble a little, since savings accounts and CD's aren't paying diddly squat I keep a small "Ready Reserve" there and invest the rest in a couple of stocks. The ones I have routinely pay between 10 and 20 percent returns over the long term, which is a whole lot better than ordinary savings. Even with the 2008 meltdown I didn't take as heavy a hit as many others did. I am not an investment wizard, but Ihave stayed at a Holiday Inn! :)

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Stocks are what we need to look in to. Not really sure where/how to start.

Any tips?
I stay away from the "Glamor" stocks and the high risk stuff. Yes you can make a bundle on such investments, but you can lose it very quickly too! There are companies whose stocks can provide 50% and better returns in the short term, but you can lose it all overnight just as easily.

I will not mention any company by name, but I will say I look at a companies long term record at least five year and ten year record is a much better indication of a stable stock with reasonable returns. I consider reasonable returns as between ten and twenty percent over the long haul. I sometimes consider returns as low as eight percent or as high as thirty percent. The lower percentages will not provide as good a return but can be safer and the higher percentages come with increased risk factors.

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
I forgot to mention while it is OK to watch daily and weekly activity they do not provide true indications every stock will fluctuate in the short term. What you want to see is steady growth and returns in the "Big Picture".

·
Registered
19,174 Posts
Well all I can say is there is no such thing as a bad gun.. As long as they go BOOM and go where you aim they are all good. Some just better then others.. My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
11,759 Posts
I usually kept my witholding down to where we had just enough to cover our tax bill. I hate letting the government use my money for a year "interest free" if I can keep from it!

This is the one time case when I will gamble a little, since savings accounts and CD's aren't paying diddly squat I keep a small "Ready Reserve" there and invest the rest in a couple of stocks. The ones I have routinely pay between 10 and 20 percent returns over the long term, which is a whole lot better than ordinary savings. Even with the 2008 meltdown I didn't take as heavy a hit as many others did. I am not an investment wizard, but Ihave stayed at a Holiday Inn! :)
+1 on the witholding. I need my money when I make it. Not when the gubmint lets me have some back.

If you're looking at pocket pistols, go ahead a get a TCP. Right now they're appreciating more than most stocks, and definately more than a bank account.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.