Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, lets hear it. Fes up. Am I the only one here that waits till the last minute to file their taxes. I just got my E-file notice that the IRS has recieved my payment.:puke: Tell the truth now. Who else waits till the last minute (or close to it) to file?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll be mailing my extension tomorrow. Because tomorrow is Patriots' Day in Massachusetts, residents of Massachusetts and Rhode Island have until the 17th to postmark their returns.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I finished my e-filing for both fed and state last night. I suppose I could have been worse...

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I believe the deadline is April 17th because tomorrow is a Emancipation Day nationwide. I filed mine 2 weeks ago and am getting a nice refund. Hmmmm, possible PT740 in my future?

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
nope, I'll do 'em tomorrow. Since we have until the 17th.. I'll be early!

At least I only have to deal with the feds, I feel for yall who have to deal with your state too!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
My wife is a retired banker, and she sees to it that our tax information is sent to the accountant for filing by mid-February.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I filed 2 months ago.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
My tax return is in the mail on the deadline day every year I owe. If I am receiving a refund,
then I will file a little earlier depending upon how much I need the refund to take care of
other financial matters. I have always been a procrastinator when it comes to sending my
money to the government.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
Like some others, when Uncle Sam owes me, I file early. When I owe Uncle Sam, I file much later. He bought me a box of ammo this year! :D

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I hate having a refund. It means they stole more money from me than they were allowed to! So the refund is really just them giving me back the principal (my own money in the first place!) on a 0% loan! :mad:

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
If I owe I wait till the last minute (this year and the past few), but if money's coming back I send it in early.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
Thought I filed in Feb., but appears I E-Filed 3/15 and refund direct deposited on 3/23. In my case early or late, refund or no, still have to pay quarterly taxe 1/15 (2011) and 4/15 (2012). Not a big issue - just means I made money and got to keep most of it.

Got a PT740 to show for the refund.:yipee:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I believe the deadline is April 17th because tomorrow is a Emancipation Day nationwide. I filed mine 2 weeks ago and am getting a nice refund. Hmmmm, possible PT740 in my future?
Actually, "Emancipation Day" is a holiday that is only observed in Washington, D.C. The only benefit to us normal folks outside of D.C. is that it delays the tax deadline by one day.

I always wait till the last minute to file, cause I usually have to pay. I was surprised to learn that this year I'll be getting a small refund from the state...enough to buy a couple of boxes of really good ammo, or fill the tank in my truck. :mad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd also like to know who is happy about getting a large refund? I used to be, until I read a financial book that said this is loaning the government money interest-free. When I researched this topic for the average refund, people could be putting over $240/month towards other things (a new Taurus? ;)). My situation now does not allow me to do otherwise, so I try & file as soon as I can.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
I'd also like to know who is happy about getting a large refund? I used to be, until I read a financial book that said this is loaning the government money interest-free. When I researched this topic for the average refund, people could be putting over $240/month towards other things (a new Taurus? ;)). My situation now does not allow me to do otherwise, so I try & file as soon as I can.
At current interest rates it matters little whether with Uncle Sam or financial institution. I leave part of my refund with IRS as it reduces what I have to pay on my quarterly estimated taxes for the coming year - com si com sa. If interest rates were back up in the 5% or higher range, that would alter how much I may leave with IRS. I'd rather over pay and get a refund, than under pay and have to pay penalties - that would largely negate any savings realized at current interest rates. That's my situation - sure others may think different.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Perhaps the interest example was a poor one. If you get the average refund (over $2,000) and carry negative-interest debt, such as credit card debt, then you are financially better off to pay the $200 each month to reduce that debt than to get a lump-sum amount once a year. Taxes as you noted are a big "mileage may vary" situation.

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
We always do the paperwork and file fairly early. We did the paperwork early once and discovered we owed so we held onto it, meaning to turn it in at the deadline. And then forgot and had a penalty so no more. We try to always have at least a small refund simply so we don't have to pay.

My wife misses the days before we were married. She would always get back more than she put in, usually a lot more. And she was told she was not even taking all the deductions she could have taken.

It may be an interest free loan to the gov but if we had it, it would be spent so it's cool with us.

Sarge

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
79 Posts
It may be an interest free loan to the gov but if we had it, it would be spent so it's cool with us.

Sarge
I'd say that sums up perhaps 90% of the taxpayers. I won't derail this further writing about penalties like the one you mentioned.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
nope, I'll do 'em tomorrow. Since we have until the 17th.. I'll be early!

At least I only have to deal with the feds, I feel for yall who have to deal with your state too!
Feds, state AND city. Interestingly enough my city seems even more well versed then the feds at wasting my tax dollars. They just finished putting up a basketball court in the industrial area where my plant is. There isn't any residential area within a good half mile. Heck the only people that ever use it are a hand full of office workers from my company when they shoot hoops during lunch. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts