Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking. Since Taurus started with the matte black finish it seems like people love it or hate it. Personally I like and don't mind the blue revolver finish. Now I'm asking for some insite from the community, do you think that Taurus will continue on with this type of blue finish, discontinued it and only produce stainless revolvers, or change to a different more appealing bluing?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally, I think It was cost cutting measure and I'd really wish they'd find a different finish for the black/blue color.
Hell I don't think anyone would mind paying $10-15 more If they'd just lose that black oxide or whatever It Is.
I have a M85 UL with this coating It's not a consistent color across the steal and Aluminum parts also It noticeably scuffs easily just from holstering, so yeah I wish It would just go away.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Rust-Oleum rattle can finishing hides a lot of finish blemishes that would stand out prominently with a real blued finish. Covering up finish defects is a lot cheaper than making them right. Just think about all the steel pieces that would go in the scrap heap that they're now able to send on down the line.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
848 Posts
Now I'm asking for some insite from the community, do you think that Taurus will continue on with this type of blue finish, discontinued it and only produce stainless revolvers, or change to a different more appealing bluing?
As far as myself I would never buy a Taurus that has that black finish and would think hard about buying the dull stainless Steel version.
I like the old polished blue and stainless look.

I guess I have all the Taurus revolvers I will ever have. I just don't care for what they have now.

I have 2 model 85's, 1 model 605 and 1 model 617 all in polished Stainless Steel

I love um.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Something that is going on, a lot of companies, even overseas, are adopting a cold blue process. There is still heat involved but not at the temps the hot blueing is done at. It's mostly a cold black oxide where the chemicals are cheaper to dispose of.

This process does not lend itself to bright blueing and works better if the surface is acid etched or glass blasted. In short, it's cheaper and has less Hazmat issues. So I wouldn't be surprised that Taurus is moving to that process.

Maloy

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I see Taurus keeping that "slap a coat of black paint on it" that they call a finish on their "blued" pistols until they find something cheaper.
As for the "stainless", they will keep that again until they find something cheaper.
Again, the keyword for Taurus gun finishes seems to be "cheaper".
Probably why I have all the Taurus firearms I feel I need, and may just purge them soon for another brand if possible.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish they'd make both and give the buyer the option.

Didn't I read, somewhere, that Taurus is using a Tenifer finish on these newer guns? Supposedly more resistant to harsh use? For an out & out shooter I don't mind the finish at all; it's reminiscent of the old Commando finish.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

I'm an old Colt collector from way back. Probably more than three-quarters of what I collect, I hesitate to shoot due to the less forgiving luster of the gun.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
I concur with many previous posts.

It is cheaper and apparently doesn't affect sales volume, so they'll keep it. Someone suggested they give an option, but I'm guessing that if they produce a $200 gun in blem-hiding-black and a $650 version in real blue, they'd never even make up their startup costs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I posted this earlier. With a little sanding and polishing, the Taurus Krylon finish can be removed and the gun cold blued. No, it's not a lustrous blued finish, but no one buys a Taurus as a safe queen anyway; but I am one of those that was horrified by the new finish (BTW, this is a newer Model 65 with some older parts installed to give it an old style look) ..

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Personally, I don't love or hate the new finish. it is what it is. I now have 3 Taurus products with the same finish, the oldest being my Judge, which I have had for 4 years. The finish on it seems to be holding up very well, with the usual holster wear at the high spots. If I wanted to, it would be easy to touch up with Oxpho-Blue, but I fought it to shoot and carry, not to look at....

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
As far as new production goes I think the S&W Classic series revolvers are about as nice as you can get currently

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wish they'd make both and give the buyer the option.

Didn't I read, somewhere, that Taurus is using a Tenifer finish on these newer guns? Supposedly more resistant to harsh use? For an out & out shooter I don't mind the finish at all; it's reminiscent of the old Commando finish.
According to Taurus, it is not Tenifer, rather it is bluing process. One thing I know is you can pretty much wipe it off with 400 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My new 66, built in 4-18, has a lifetime warranty. I think you mis-read the statement. "The Taurus Unlimited Lifetime Repair Policy extends to all Taurus USA firearm models in production prior to January 1, 2017." Only the newest models would be affected.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is a blued 1989 Model 66 4" barrel. The only real wear is at the tip of the barrel. This is my vehicle carry and a great Revolver.

Attachments

Reactions: Troll

·
23,214 Posts
According to Taurus, it is not Tenifer, rather it is bluing process. One thing I know is you can pretty much wipe it off with 400 grit sandpaper.
There are finishes that won't come off with 400 grit sandpaper!? I'm not being sarcastic at all; I'd bet that any finish would succumb to 400 grit sandpaper pretty quickly.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I prefer the stainless look. I like the way the matte black looks, but I wonder how well it will hold up over time. Doesn't seem to be very resilient. Now I hate the 2-tone look. In hindsight, I'm glad I couldn't find a Hunter any where and was able to get a hold of a Bull.

·
Registered
159 Posts
There are finishes that won't come off with 400 grit sandpaper!? I'm not being sarcastic at all; I'd bet that any finish would succumb to 400 grit sandpaper pretty quickly.
I not talking about succumb, I talking about a single swipe. The barrel on the gun I refinished had the old polish blued finish, and while it to came off fairly easy with 400 grit sandpaper, it at least took 2-3 swipes to remove it all..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts