Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the wood is that Taurus used to use for their revolver grips? I don't know what it is but I think it looks darn good.

M66

I wish they would at least offer them as an option. The only wood they seem to offer now is a aftermarket laminate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can't say with certainty, of course, but it looks like Jobillo......which is commonly called Goncalo Alves. That would fit as Tauruses were and are made as close to the source of this wood as can be (South America).

Even S&W has made some of their nicer "target" stocks from Jobillo. Very popular "exotic" wood for handgun stocks.

On the other hand, the grain pattern resembles several different exotic South American woods I've seen......which tend to have large variations in colour and grain. Could be some form of Rosewood, for example.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I do believe that kubel is right. It is my understanding that their grips are made out of Goncalo Alves. If memeory servers me correct, S&W also useses this wood on many of its revolvers, and so does Hogue.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would have to be the most fancy Gancalo Alves that I have ever seen and it's very common for Taurus wood to look like that while I have NEVER seen S&W wood even come close to that grain pattern. I guess it could be but I find that highly unlikely.

Kim Ahrends makes grips from something called Moradillo and that looks more like it but still not quite the same thing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a set of original S&W square-butt target stocks (K-frame) made from Goncalo Alves.....with fancy grain and colour very much like the Taurus stocks pictured. That is not at all unusual for Goncalo - the heartwood that is. The sapwood tends to be much different in appearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts