Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now first of all let me explain why I am posting this I the general "Firing Line" forum rather than the 1911 forum. Why my latest Taurus 1911 has me semi perplexed, I am not sure this is limited to the PT1911 model. So I am asking this across the board of Taurus stainless steel finished firearms.

I this afternoon picked up a NIB PT1911 9mm Stainless finish Taurus. This is a non billboard edition firearm, meaning that it is one of the more recent production firearms.

I was in kind of a rush when I took delivery, did the cursory check for blemishes or damages which none were found. I did however think that the finish did not look correct but couldn't put my finger on what the "not correct" was. The box reads PT1911ss as expected. Well know to me FFL delivering it from his inventory, but something just didn't register as it should.

After getting home and taking the wife to dinner I took the case with pistol intact out to the deck to do the original take down and cleaning. This was a pre cleaned unit in part from Taurus in that it was not a total clean up, but the heavy grease has been removed. IE: it only took 10 cleaning pads to clean the remaining grease from the pistol and magazines.

That's when it hit me, the finish looked much more in line with the stainless finish on a Para stainless steel 1911. More of a speckled faux look sprayed on finish. Not the standard brushed or polished finish that Taurus has delivered in the past. Being somewhat disappointed in the finish I went online to see if the specs have changed on the latest PT1911. Nope it reads as the description always has.

Next step was to contact Taurus via the online chat conversation feature. Susan was a help, but I still feel that something is amiss. I was asked for the serial number of the firearms which I gave her. She went to pull up this particular pistol and came back telling me that it is an aluminum allow finished firearm. I pressed on and was then told that the frame was made of an aluminum allow and that the slide was stainless steel. Yet both the slide and frame exhibit the same speckled aluminum alloy faux finish. Also the frame feels no lighter than the weight of the blued frame on my polished stainless steel PT1911 .45acp.

I seem to recall having owned a revolver that exhibited the same, yet not as noticeable speckled finish recently. I cared so little for the look that I sold the revolver.

Is this a new finish that anyone else has noticed? I guess when I purchase a stainless steel finished firearm I expect it to be just that.

And no this is not April Fools spoof.

If I had wanted a speckled faux stainless steel looking 1911 I would have purchased a Para at the end of last year when they had some killer rebates that made them a bargain.

If I can get some photos to show the finish correct I will come back and post a few.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a transcript of my conversation with Taurus. I have however deleted some information such as my phone number and the serial number of the firearm.

Susan 10:52:52 PM

Thank you for contacting Customer Care. My name is Susan. I will be assisting you today.

jonrjen 10:53:58 PM

I just picked this 1911 9mm up from my FFL this afternoon. The stainless finish looks un natural. I am used to the brushed or polished SS finish. Is this a spray coating finish?

jonrjen 10:54:30 PM

It has more of the appearance of the PARA 1911 faux finish

Susan 10:55:02 PM

Hello on, I would be happy to assist you with that. May I have the serial number of the firearm you are inquiring about?

jonrjen 10:55:29 PM

XXXXXXXXX6

Susan 10:55:50 PM

ok please hold

jonrjen 10:56:41 PM

This is more of a speckled finish

Susan 11:00:03 PM

it is actually an Aluminum Alloy finish

jonrjen 11:01:26 PM

OK, so there is a difference between the current and past stainless steel models in that the current is a spray finish? Am I reading this correct?

jonrjen 11:02:30 PM

Or is this an aluminum finish over stainless?

jonrjen11:03:33 PM

Hello?

Susan 11:04:08 PM

yes it is an aluminum frame

jonrjen 11:05:20 PM

And slide?

Susan 11:07:19 PM

slide would be stainless steel

jonrjen 11:07:50 PM

Thank you,

Susan 11:08:40 PM

Your Welcome - Thank you for choosing Customer Care. It was a pleasure serving you.

Please understand, I am not upset with the information that Susan provided as I know she is limited to what information is available to her via Taurus software.

I also commend Taurus on offering on site communications with a Taurus Rep.

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
Did the magnet "like" the slide too?

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
14,704 Posts
So, your gun was marked incorrectly?

The CS lady said the frame was aluminum and, AFAIK, magnets don't attract to aluminum. Is there some aluminum alloy that attracts a magnet?

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
I'll give you $300 for it, Alex

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here are the best photos I could get of the finish. To me it appears to be more of a spray painted faux finish.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you look closely you can tell the difference between the finish on the frame, slide and the slide release lever. The slide release lever is a true stainless steel finish.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
My nephew has a model in .45, that he bought a few years ago that looks like that. I actually like it's appearance better than mine, which is shiny stainless. His isn't alloy anything. It's all steel.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
From what I've seen there are some exotic aluminum alloys that are magnetic though highly unlikely to be found in a gun frame. And actually in a faux kind of way aluminum can be attracted to an electo - magnet if conditions are right with the alternating current creating an "eddy" where it gets feedback of itself through the material. Are you gonna further inquire and thank them for the 10 million dollar valued magnetic aluminum frame?:D

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
It looks like a sand-blasted matte finish. And your problem is what, exactly?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I would prefer a brushed stainless finish to a matte finish. I'm still hoping I can polish my Judge from matte to bling-shiny.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It looks like a sand-blasted matte finish. And your problem is what, exactly?
Hmm kinda like buying a diamond and getting cubic zirconia I guess some folks may think they had been ripped off maybe others wouldn't?

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
My PT1911 is model #1911SS according to my serial number, yet a magnet sticks to all parts, do I care, no. The same happens with my duotone PT140. They don't rust in this dry heat so I'm good! :thumb:

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I plan on calling Taurus tomorrow and see what I can find out. I don't care of the look of stainless steel finish from a rattle can of paint which is what this looks to be. Who knows maybe it is stainless steel with a Cerakote type finish. I guess I can't really blame anyone but myself since I looked at it, noticed something didn't look right yet brought it home. I feel sure that my FFL would have refunded my money if asked, but then to be honest his knowledge of Taurus is limited to what I share with him.

Either way my intentions were to try a PT1911 in the 9mm round and this will allow me to do so. I'm into it at $500 OTD so I'm not going to get hurt if I later pass it along.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.