Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting for my CCW (64 days now) here in Key West Fl. and hope it arrives by the 11th when I'm going to Philly where there are lots of gun shops. I'm just not sure what to buy. Being a new-be, for safety sake I've ruled out a pistol and want a revolver. Narrowed it down to a Taurus 85CHULT or a S&W Airweight 642 for pocket carry. My neighbor is retired NYPD and when I said "Taurus" he scrunched his face and said "Saturday night special, junk". I value his opinion but I also value my cash. Being this is "TaurusArmed" I pretty much expect everyone to be pro Taurus but really don't want the old "I told you so" from my neighbor. I believe I can buy the Taurus for about $300. or the S&W for about $400. new, am I in the ballpark? Used, if I can find one I think the Taurus would be a much better bargain??? Any input would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just bought a Taurus Model 65 .357. I used to own a Model 19 .357 S&W and I can say I am impressed with my new Taurus. It is very well made and the most accurate gun I have ever shot, even better than my Smith M19. Taurus may have not been so hot years ago, but the quality now is very good. With tax and everything I paid $358 for my M65. I think you would be hard pressed to find a new S&W for $400, I did a quick look and it seems they are all $700-$1200...

AND the Taurus is guaranteed forever! Even if it is sold 10 times over they fix it for free!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I purchased a Taurus 85UL for my wife and she loves it,she has fired the 642 and the 442 so have and in my opinion felt smoother on the recoil M85 seemed to absorb the recoil better but this is just my opinion BTW I paid 299.00 for it. Good Luck in making your decision.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
My 85UL has a much better trigger than the 642s I've fired and tried. Both are NICE revolvers. I don't particularly like Smith's lock design, though, which makes me more of a Taurus guy when it comes to new guns.

The Smith's prices are going up fast, which isn't good. A few years ago, I could have had a 642 airweight for near 300 bucks, a bargain at that price. I gave 280 for my M85SSUL about 12 years ago for comparison. But, the Smiths have gone up.

If you're going to pocket it, the M850 is the Taurus equivalent to the 642 Smith. The concealed hammer has advantages on the draw. I like the body guard types, myself, shielded hammer, but still SA capable. This would be the M851 in a Taurus as pictured. I'm quite happy with my 85, though, and have it in my pocket as I type this.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
ZO6Vettever said:
My neighbor is retired NYPD and when I said "Taurus" he scrunched his face and said "Saturday night special, junk".

Being this is "TaurusArmed" I pretty much expect everyone to be pro Taurus but really don't want the old "I told you so" from my neighbor.

I'm retired NYPD also and would not consider Taurus "junk" as my un-educated brother-in-blue called it. If he's using the phrase Saturday Night Special, he's old school and probably has never owned a Taurus and just listened to what the clerks in the property room were mumbling about Taurus guns.

I am not pro-Taurus (I'm pro-whatever works ;)). And Taurus works for me....along with S&W, Glock, Ruger, Springfield. So as you can tell, I have no bias whatsoever towards Taurus.

Here's a tip when buying a gun....if someone calls a brand junk, they really don't know what they're talking about. Buy what YOU want and what fits YOU and YOUR budget. That is, unless your NYPD neighbor wants to spend his pension money and buy you his idea of a quality firearm. ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
My brother-in-law is a PI and carries a S&W 642 as his personal protection weapon. On occasions I’ve had the opportunity to go shooting with him out at the farm. I will tell you that the Smith has a very tight lock up and an excellent trigger pull. The fit and finish is what I would expect in a quality gun. With all that said, all my revolvers are Taurus. Maybe the lock up isn’t quite as tight and maybe the brushed stainless steel finish isn’t as aesthetically pleasing but the trigger pull, timing and accuracy are every bit as good as the Smith. I guess what I’m saying is, for what really counts, it’s hard to beat a Taurus for the price. NYPD said it best though, it’s your money so buy the gun that best serves your needs. Remember it’s the protection of your life that we’re talking about. It you feel more comfortable with the Smith, does it really matter in the long run if it is a few hundred dollars more?

·
Registered
497 Posts
There seems to be a trend among us gun guys and gals. The first thing we learn, we retain forever. There are many myths, legends and old wife's tales about Taurus guns. Once upon a time Taurus did have a quality problem, but that was in another century and no longer exists. Time to educate your retired NYPD neighbor about life in the 21st Century. Ships now have engines, machines can fly in the air, and Taurus makes quality firearms.

·
Registered
356 Posts
well put pioneer461

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have owned a lot of everything, but I have no S&Ws left now. And I truly regret selling one of them; a 65-3. One of only 2 gun sales I really regret in 60 years. And the only Colt left is my Grandaddys. All Ruger, Taurus, and Cimarron handguns now. Go look and touch and judge for yourself. But, one thing I wll almost guarantee you - a whole lot of S&W fans hate Taurus. Even the ones who have never owned one. I think it's because Tauruses started out extremely similar to S&Ws for a ton less money, but that is pure speculation on my part. I used to sell guns. I actually had fewer Tauruses returned for problems than just about anything else.
The revolvers will benefit greatly from a Wolff spring kit. The action is simpler than a S&W, and responds well to this little touch. I am not a huge fan of the Taurus lock, but I wouldn't have a gun with the S&W lock. I do not think S&W is your Daddy's S&W anymore, but again I admit that's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
35,440 Posts
I think Smith and Wesson is very over rated and over-priced now days, used and new, but some folks just drink the koolaid. I like my Smith and the M19 I sold was a good gun. But, I, too, won't buy a Smith with a lock. If I had one, I'd have to superglue it and it's not real smart to disable locks on guns for whatever reason just from a legal point of view.

Ruger, well, I own Rugers and love my Rugers for what they are, but Ruger's strength is also their bulk. Until the LCP, Ruger made only the SP101 really for the concealed market and that one is awfully bulky. It's no pocket revolver, put it that way. Taurus fills in the gap for me, quality guns, a great variety of models many of which mimic the much more expensive Smiths, and affordable.

For those who REALLY don't like locks or perhaps wish for a D frame Colt on a budget, there's always Rossi. :D I never really cared for the DA triggers on most of the Rossis I've owned, but they were usable, just stiff. The guns are accurate, though, and have held up fine in my use. The newest ones are put together rather well, too. The 462 ain't a lot smaller than a SP101, though, and I'd rather have an SP101. It's a couple hundred more, though, but still not bad at about 400-450 new. Damned strong revolver, that's for sure. I love Ruger's DA design. Easy to clean and strip and built like a bank vault.

There are lots of alternatives to Smith and Wesson, but Taurus has the widest range of model variety of the alternatives.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have a Taurus model 627 Tracker, and I also have a Smith & Wesson model 642. One is much larger than the other, but both are revolvers, and the quality of the Taurus is on par with the Smith & Wesson. My Tracker is as accurate as any other Revolver I ever shot. My father rest his sole had a S&W Model 19 and swore by it. Hell I still think it is one of the best revolvers that I ever shot. My 627 is with out a doubt just as good!!!!! Taurus Rocks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having paid a lot of money for some S&W handguns, it irks me a little to admit that my favorite revolver now is a Taurus M44 (6-inch .44 magnum) that I bought used for about $375. It's a solid, comfortable, accurate gun that's really fun to shoot. That's my only experience with Taurus -- very limited, for sure, but it was enough for me to this week order a Taurus 94 .22 (5-inch barrel). We'll see how that one pans out when I pick it up next week.

Good luck on your choice. BTW, why is Florida taking so long with your CCW? Is 60+ days normal?

Regards,
Roog

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Actually its supposed to be 90 days but from what i understand they a really backed up im still waiting too

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I was told that if I did the digital finger prints it would only take 45 days! That was bull !!!! It took about 3 months for me too. Oh well I got it now, but it drove me crazy every time I went to the mailbox and it wasn't there. On the plus side it's good for 5 years in Florida. Plus its good in quite a few other states. I travel for work in 3 other states, and it is good in
Alabama, Georgia, but not in South Carolina last I checked.
:shooter: :guns:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Back on topic guys....we have plenty of CCW, CHL threads to post in. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I've got my Dads old back up a Taurus 85 38+p and it shoots dead on and is tight as can be. because this is a Taurus site don't be fooled that we all love Taurus as we almost all own just about every brand you can imagine. And we tell it like it is. I also have a S&W 686 and would be comfortable with a Taurus of the same model. hope this helps good luck :)

·
Banned
1,997 Posts
Taurus is the only company who has the balls to come out with new and unusual stuff at a great price. Not to mentioned their great finish. Few companies do hi-polish stainless anymore to save expences.
My Tauri:
M 455 Titanium snubbie in 45Colt with a satin color changing blue finish and ported barrel
M 905 Stainless 9mm snubbie revolver
The Judge 2.5" ultra lite 45C/410
M 84 3" high polish stainless 22 I got in 1991
PT 917CS 9MM High polish stainless and aluminum 15, 17,20 rd mag
PT 111 PRO Stainless slide 2 12RD MAGS PINK color, Gander Mt exclusive
JUST OUT 24/7 PINK with black slide slide and controls, Gander MT Exclusive
Last but not least a 45C hi polished stainess pump action Thunderbolt rifle.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I misscounted the time, it's 51 days and counting. I called Tallahassee yesterday and they said I'm in the system and should recieve it between 2 weeks and 3 months from now. I also did the digital fingerprints and was told between 30 and 45 days.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts