Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have some evidence that our Taurus pistols are as, good/or not as a S&W? I'm thinkin' Taurus are better because we are not paying for the name of S&W, so ours cost less, and are the better deal. Whadda ya say?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have been extremely happy with the handling and performance of my PT140. i think it is an exceptional CCW. since my wife shot it at the range a while back, she has claimed it as her CCW. i must now either get a second PT140 or get something different. i have recently shot a s&w m&p .40c at a dealer show and am very impressed with it. it is slightly larger than the PT140 but should be a good fit for CCW as well. i can get a stainless PT140 here for $320 (price went up $10 in the last 3 months). i can get the m&p with night sights and 3 mags for $450. i'm not sure i like the m&p that much better for $130, but i also do not like having multiple exact same guns. delimmas and decisions!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have owned and loved Taurus pistols since they first hit the market back in the 80's. I have never personally known anyone that had any trouble with a Taurus pistol and I have know alot of people around the world that own them. I own alot of other brands of firearms, but I always find myself reaching for my Taurus pistols over any others... basically, most all modern firearms are good, with the occasional lemon. If a gunmaker made nothing but lemons, they would not be in business very long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a gun shop owners' son told me Taurus can't compare with S&W. Said he sends way more Taurus back than Smith's. I've never seen a broken Taurus, or Smith for that matter.I like my Taurus guns fine, and can't find much difference when compared with other pistols. I bet he gets more profit from the Smiths?!?!?? Just was wondering what some others thought. Thanks guys!

·
32,499 Posts
608racer. Staff and members here have posted any number of times (even at TFL and THR forums) that the Taurus revolvers we have have given excellent service and are going strong still. Most seem to be service barrel length or the snubbies. Some of these revolvers have been around and in use for a decade or two. Some even longer than that. Throw in the Rossi owners that have had that experience as well. The Tracker or Raging Bull crowd can also give these claims of dureability and service.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yupper!! LOVE my 608 :) Never had a problem. Thanks for the replies! ;D Don't have a Rossi yet - but that may change soon ::)

·
32,499 Posts
And here I was about to give you a whole long litany of models that owners here have found to do well and you go and post that!!!! :D :) ;D :) Stop stealing my thunder. ;D :D You can have the lightning. ;D :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned both S&W and Taurus revolvers. I really like my Taurus 85UL although I believe the S&W's are superior revolvers. I have never owned a S&W auto but like my MilPro a ton.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think Smith revolvers used to be much nicer than the current crop of either Taurus or Smith. I'd pick the Taurus as I feel its a better deal and will work just as well. And I'm not a fan of paying for a "name".

As far as the auto's, Smith has a much larger selection but that doesn't mean that they are any better, it just means that its more difficult to fine the exact one you want. And I'm not a fan of magazine disconnects which most Smith autos have. I don't have much time with Taurus auto's but whenever I'm in the market again I'll be taking a real serious look at the Taurus line at the time.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
The new lockwork much improved the trigger on the medium frame revolvers. The quality, fit, and finish has continually improved over the years and took a HUGE leap IMHO in the early 90s when the new transfer bar lockwork came. Today, I think Taurus compares equally in quality to Smith and Wesson and Smith and Wesson has steadily declined since the 60s IMHO. Late 70s was a low point for Smith and Wesson. Taurus's reputation for customer service seems tainted (never had to deal with 'em, personally) compared to Smith and Wesson, but they offer a lifetime no nonsense warranty on their products and I know the newer ones I own are as good or better than anything Smith. I own a M10 and had a M19 for a while in the early 80s, also had a Ruger Security Six which is lauded by some. I can say, my 4" Taurus M66 is a MUCH better shooter than those guns and its DA and SA trigger are comparable to the medium frame Smiths and far better than the stock trigger on the Ruger, though I cleaned that Rugers trigger up and it was smooth when I was done. My Taurus M85UL has the absolute BEST DA trigger out of the box that I've ever owned on a revolver. It's just completely amazing how smooth and light that trigger is, makes DA shooting a pleasure. I'd rather shoot that gun DA than SA!

The autoloaders seem to have less detractors, probably because the 1911 freaks, up until the advent of the PT1911, had no more interest in Taurus than any other DA/DAO design and there's not really the snob appeal out there for other brands like there is for Smith and Wesson in revolvers. Glock has a large following, but not as many of 'em are Glock snobs, they will buy other brands. A die hard Smith and Wesson fanatic is a bone head, close minded, well, let's just say most of 'em have never fired anything else, so how would they know, anyway.

So, I'm sold on Taurus. I think it's as high a quality marque as any out there and affordable.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Generally if people are comparing a Taurus pistol with a S&W, they are talking about revolvers because there are so many styles that look alike which is mostly because of them being sister company's in the 1970's. S&W gained alot of technology sharing from Taurus during that period.

I prefer Taurus firearms more then any other brand because of their quality, reliability, accuracy and I have owned or fired nearly everything brand and model of what is out there at one time or another over the years (late 60's until now)... If Taurus didn't make so many different models of pistols that I want, I'd be tempted to buy a few other brands (maybe an XD, H&K or something).

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Every Taurus I've ever owned has been 100% reliable, and I've owned a few over the years. I've only had one instance where I was debating whether to get a Taurus or a S&W -- a Taurus M94 (because I had owned a couple prior to that moment in time) or a S&W 617.

The fit and finish of the Taurus was every bit as nice as the Smith IMO, *and* the Taurus was nearly $200 less than the Smith. I couldn't justify paying that much more for the Smith when the Taurus was equally as nice in all respects. Time and time again, I return to Taurus for the quality of their products coupled with some of the lowest costs on the market (along with Ruger, which I'm also a fan of).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own both and I admit that I do enjoy shooting my PT111 more than my Sigma. I think there's simply more prestige attached to the Smith and Wesson name and that's what people pay for.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The older S&W revolvers that had pinned barrels and hammer mounted firing pins are very good guns. BUT, I think the current offerings from both Taurus and smith are about par. I would put my 605 against anything in fit and finish, and the accuracy and trigger are superbe.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would tend to agree. Modern Smith guns are about the same as modern taurus guns. I don't see any real benefit of owning one over the other, except MAYBE for price. Taurus and Smith are now running about neck and neck in terms of prices for snubbie guns. The S&W 642 I purchased recently was $370 from a retail store. I researched the Taurus lightweights and they were about the same price.

I presently also own a Smith 686-2, made in the mid-80s. It has the hammer mounted firing pin and is a SWEET shooter. Hoever, I also own a Taurus 940 Tracker .22LR and a M44, .44 Magnum, and those have very nice triggers as well. Overall, I think the two are similar in quality.

Now, where Taurus needs to make some improvements is in the CS and repair services. That's where I hear most of the complaints these days.

Todd

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have two 605's and there seems to be a lot more sharp edges on them than any Smith snubs I've handled at shops or by friends. I'm going to make a point to do a little more comparison on this where possible.

Jkwas said:
The older S&W revolvers that had pinned barrels and hammer mounted firing pins are very good guns. BUT, I think the current offerings from both Taurus and smith are about par. I would put my 605 against anything in fit and finish, and the accuracy and trigger are superbe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Taurus and Smith are now running about neck and neck in terms of prices for snubbie guns. The S&W 642 I purchased recently was $370 from a retail store. I researched the Taurus lightweights and they were about the same price."
True but when we're talking steel, there is about $200 difference between a model 60 smith and taurus 605. That's where taurus has Smith beat.

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Whew, high prices! The 642 is Smith's most affordable and, IMHO, best little pocket CCW they offer. I can get it here for about 310 and that's about what a Taurus Ultralite runs here. The 642s are neat and I will probably get one eventually, but frankly, the out of the box DA trigger on my Taurus is awesome and the 642s I've handled were less than great. Folks tell me they break in, though, and I'm sure that's true since most any DA will with enough use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have lots of friends who have Taurus revolvers, not one has ever broke. I'am looking into a .44 mag and it will be a Taurus. Don't get me wrong Smith make an awesome gun. I'am not going to pay another $200 for it though. Only had one Taurus break, it was a PT-25.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the attitudes of alot of smith snobs kind of turn me off. They love to crap all over taurus, but when confronted with the question of do they have any first hand experience, its always based upon hearsay.

Taurus owners have been pleased with their guns, and also pleased with their warranty. Ive seen alot of testimonials from former smith snobs who now give the nod to taurus after hands on experience.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts