Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
One of my next guns is going to be a 1911, but I have not yet decided which brand. Many people suggest colt and claim that if one is to pick up a 1911 colt is the way to go. My brother has a Taurus and loves it. What if any is the major difference between the two. And is it worth justifying the few hundred dollar difference.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you do go with a colt expect to spend more money, and expect to spend more cash and time getting it to shoot the way you want. If you absolutely must have the best 1911 ever made, and money is no object, buy a kimber, they are hands down the finest production made 1911 you will buy. That said if you only are willing to plunk down $500 you can't go wrond with the Taurus, they got a tight lock up and for the most part are customized to what you would like to do to a colt anyway.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Ace said:
If you absolutely must have the best 1911 ever made, and money is no object, buy a kimber, they are hands down the finest production made 1911 you will buy.
Oh boy... I think I hear an arguing match coming on with folks shooting, Les Bear, Wilson's, Rock River Ranch and a number of other high dollar custom guns. The purpose of these forums isn't to throw rocks at anyone else, but to take note of what you get with the PT1911.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
yep I'd go Rock River ,Springfieldand Para before KImber I've shot several models and am not as impressed as I should be for the price. that shoud get it going, but it's my $.02 :) thats only 1911 styles. Now the Glocks ,XD,and of course Taurus 24/7 :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
IMO You'll not only be paying a little more for the Colt name, but also getting fewer extras than with the PT1911. Personally speaking, no the justification wouldn't be there to pay the additional money for the Colt when the PT1911 does the same just as well, for less money and with the other features offered as standard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't forget. Colt is made in the good old US of A. Tauras is made in Brazil where labor is a little cheaper. Don't get me wrong; I am not wrapping myself in the stars and stripes. I too have a PT1911SS, and like it! There is a large selection out there. Pick the one you think you will like. Choose wisely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can only comment on the Kimber CDP Ultra 2. It's the only 1911 I have ever owned.
Mine was a jamomatic even after a trip back to Kimber.
I sold it and lost my a ho.
I have been eyeing up a Taurus 1911 in Stainless. They want $629.00 at the Sportsman wearhouse around these parts. Cabela's a little more.
Oscar

·
Registered
267 Posts
I rented a Colt and a Springfield 1911 at the range when trying to decide if I really wanted one. They both shot pretty well and I really couldn't tell much difference. I did not measure groups, but tore up the center of a B27 target with both. I bought the Taurus PT-1911 and love it. I've got about 500 rounds through it now with no problems. (I do shoot my 9mm and .38/.357 more because they are what I carry most) I don't think you would go wrong with any of them, but after much handling of each (and drooling over them) I went with the Taurus because I thought it was a better buy. I'd recommend going to a few gun stores and handling all of them, then decide. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with PT1911. I had been looking for a 1911 for a while, and found a PT1911 at a gun show for like $535. I love this gun. I've shot a few other 1911s, and it just seems that out of the box, the Taurus is the better value. All the extras that come with it sealed the deal for me. IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both a Stainless Colt XSE 5" 1911 and a Kimber Ultra Carry Custom Shop 3". Both are flawless and completely reliable, but were not inexpensive to purchase. Unfortunately with the 1911 platform, paying more will not necessarily mean you get a more reliable shooter out of the box. Some need a little tweaking. There are negative postings in various forums on just about every brand of 1911 made, but this thread said Taurus Vs. Colt. In my opinion, they are two different guns adressing two different price points and needs. The Colt is built on a forging using the finest steel available. Most of the manufacturing operations are still done by hand as they always were. No offense against Taurus but I don't think any steel coming out of Brazil will match what Colt uses in their forging. The Colt is an "heirloom quality" gun. Its value most probably will not decrease and most probably will increase with age depending on the model. I doubt the same will hold true for a Taurus.

If the Taurus 1911 proves over time to be reliable and a reasonably good shooter then it is a very good value for for the dollar. It really isnt "Taurus Vs. Colt". It is more appropriately "Taurus or Colt". What does the potential buyer want or need? A low cost entry level 1911 that he/she can learn on and have fun with? or a higher priced pistol, manufactured to a higher standard with a historical pedigree.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first 1911 was a stainless Kimber. Multiple issues with it and the fact that it cost nearly $800 really put me off of 1911's for awhile. I then bought two Springfields. The sight on the fullsize was way off and required a replacement. The Champion had feed issues and once again I was put off by 1911's. Total cost for three imperfect 1911's so far, $2000.

Couple years later I got one of the first PT1911's in my area and at only $467 out the door it was a steal. A few months and nearly 2000 rounds without issues, I bought another. I then had two extremely accurate 1911's without any issues other than one of the factory magazines falling apart. Thus started my admiration and respect for Taurus. Because if you can get a 1911 right, you're doing well.

Ok, everyone I know is still talking how great Kimbers are, so I got another for CCW. I purchased a Tactical Pro Carry 2 in commander size. Probably the most beautiful pistol I've seen. Light, accurate and easy to carry and $1100 out the door!

Started having issues from the get go. Failure to feed and failures to eject. Multiple magazines, bullet types, springs etc... I even did the "shoot 500 rounds through it" as pushed by the customer service folks. Even at a 1000 rounds it still had multiple, reoccurring issues. This is with hardball 230's as the pistol really didn't feed much of anything else. On top of the function issues, the factory anodizing started to come off very easily. Mind you I take exemplary care of my "stuff" so it wasn't due to abuse.

Talked to the factory, got some "tude" and got pretty pissed. $1100 for a non fully functioning gun is not right in my book. So I finally fixed the issues myself. New extractor, installed and tuned as well as a new ejector installed and tuned. And since the gun looked rough from the anodizing issue, I refinished it with LauerDuracoat. Once I recheck function again, the gun will be sold, at a loss and I will purchase another Taurus of some variant without hesitation.

Realize that this can happen to any manufactures stuff. On one of the 1911 boards, there was fellow that paid $2500 for a NightHawk Talon that looked like the stainless PT1911 in another thread here. At first he was too embarrassed to say anything, but after much cajoling he tried to get things resolved through their customer service. Needless to say he got the runaround and got pretty down on his very expensive, first 1911.

You can buy a 1911 from any company and get a lemon, that's a fact. Conversely, you can buy a 1911 from any current manufacturer and get something that can be passed down to your children, which is a fact as well. For me it comes down to value for the dollar spent. With my first PT1911, I got a perfectly functioning pistol, that's not picky about ammo and accurate as any gun I've owned for approx half of what I paid for any other 1911.

Above all the other rifles and pistols/revolvers we own, this is the one we won't sell. It's also the gun my wife asks for specifically when we're at the range and she wants to enjoy herself.

My advice on buying a 1911? Go to the shops, find one that has the features you want, that feels good in your hand and buy it. At this point, brand makes no difference. You stand the same chances of getting a good or bad one regardless of make.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Good write-up Justice4all. With your experiences with more expensive 1911s, I would buy a Taurus if I didn't already have one. That way if it was a lemon you didn't spend as much and Taurus will fix it if it is.

·
Registered
73 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
Good write-up Justice4all. With your experiences with more expensive 1911s, I would buy a Taurus if I didn't already have one. That way if it was a lemon you didn't spend as much and Taurus will fix it if it is.
Thanks, and that is exactly how I feel at this point. I still don't "hate" Kimbers, but I sure as heck wouldn't be nearly as ticked off if the Taurus had issues. In fact I semi anticipated that being the case. It's been a pleasant surprise so far.

Oh I should also mention I had a Smith and Wesson 1911 PD which is their Scandium framed unit. Really nice looking, light and accurate. It also had hammer follow which is kinda scary the first couple of times it happens. It was an easy fix, but again, $850 for a gun that tried to go full auto a couple of times ain't good.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Every time you post a picture of your PT1911, I have to wipe drool up off my keyboard, Paul. Not that I mind though. :p

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
Every time you post a picture of your PT1911, I have to wipe drool up off my keyboard, Paul. Not that I mind though. :p
Well keep a towel close by just in case I throw it in again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts