Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taurus has published a new manual for their polymer pistols downloadable for their website. The previous recommendation had been a strange recommendation for a 225 gr load at 830 FPS. The new manual now clarifies the normal rating of across the shelf ammo...

.45 ACP 230 GR FMJ 835 FPS

However they still recommends against P+ ammo...

“Plus-P’, “Plus-P-Plus” or other ultra or high velocity ammunition generates
pressures significantly in excess of the pressures associated with standard
ammunition. Such pressures may affect the useful life of the firearm or
exceed the margin of safety built into many pistols and could therefore be
DANGEROUS.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I'd leave it here for a few days and then move it to the factory ammo section

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't shoot +P in any of my semi-autos, although I've been considering +P .38 special for my revolver for occaisional carry and home defense ammo. Not to shoot on a regular basis, however.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the Taurus catalogue it rates "all guns" for p+ use... however given the manual on the polymer autos, I presume that the revolvers are what is being refered to... check out their catalogues

·
32,585 Posts
Why not thump the goblins with the 185grain and 200 grain JHPs that are at standard pressures? Less recoil and little is given up in the way of down range ballistics. There's even a slight muzzle velocity gain to expand JHPs. Shot to shot recovery means you are back on target quicker. The gain in a short barreled pistol isn't going to give that much of a boost with a lot of the powder burning up outside the barrel. Just playing devil's advocate. :devil: :evil: ;D

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
propellerhead said:
Ugh! And I was about to buy some Hornady TAP +P for my PT-145.
I don't think they are trying to tell anyone that their gun will "blow up" if loaded for carry with P+, however these are small guns and there is a limit of abuse for the polymers... especially in the grip area which has historically been the most vulnerable in polymer guns.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That 225 gr figure was odd to say the least. I happy with the 230 gr. American Eagle I've been using in my PT145. So far its functioned well, and its priced reasonably. I think the +P would put a lot of stress on components over time and cause accelerated wear. Don't want to have to start replacing parts sooner than I need to.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
In 45acp I don't see a need for +P loads. There are many great standard pressure defensive loads out there. I'm glad that Taurus finally gave us a realistic recommendation.

Steelheart

·
Super Moderator
35,150 Posts
The only reasoning to use +P in a .45 is to get a little extra assurance of bullet expansion. In 230 grain, that's a lost cause. Even +P doesn't give it 900 fps. The 200 grain can get up over 1000 fps, but I don't drive mine that hard, either. I feel that 950 fps out of a 4 1/2" barrel is enough.

I carry +P in 9mm, but limit its range use. +P 9mm rivals .357 magnum out of a 2" snubby. I carry +P in my .38s, too.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
100% agree with NativeTexan. +P is basically useless in a 230-grain load. (But I use it in .38Special and did use it in my Glock 19 NYPD service weapon). Actually the NYPD was issuing Speer Lawman 9mm +P+ for a few years. The muzzle velocity on those bad boys was over 1300 FPS. Once again, great forum.

·
Registered
663 Posts
In my reading, here and there, I get the idea that you can use a higher load (+p?) with an appropriately lower bullet weight and get a faster fps without beating up the gun. This makes sense in a way, but I'd like to hear some specific comments on it here.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've used +P ammo some over the years, be honestly never really saw the need for pushing a load to my firearms possible limits. If I need more "UMPH" I get a bigger caliber :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I believe on the Taurus site they really only "advertise" +P loads for their 38 Special revolvers. In looking I didn't notice it for any of their autopistols. I have used +P loads in my PT145 without a hitch, but I would not recommend feeding a steady diet in any semi-auto. Just run enough rounds through to assure that the load will perform the way you want it to. (I would say at least 200-500 rounds of your chosen defensive ammo)

·
Registered
243 Posts
JimL said:
In my reading, here and there, I get the idea that you can use a higher load (+p?) with an appropriately lower bullet weight and get a faster fps without beating up the gun. This makes sense in a way, but I'd like to hear some specific comments on it here.
With a lighter bullet, you can get a higher velocity without going to +P pressures.

ECS

·
32,585 Posts
Too true Elmer.
There are a number of statistics that show the lighter bullet weights in this caliber having excellent real world records out of all barrel lengths.

Since most civilians are not going to face the exact shooting parameters that LEOs do there is little need for enhanced ammo under most situations.

Speer's 200 gr. JHP "Flying Ashtray" still is with us in a different guise and the 185s have seen dynamic expansion and fight stopping abilities when properly placed. Excellent penetration has also been achieved with these lighter bullet weights. Heck,even the 165gr. JHPs have had good records of late.

·
Registered
101 Posts
propellerhead said:
Ugh! And I was about to buy some Hornady TAP +P for my PT-145.
I keep Hornady TAP .45 230gr's in both my PT145 (my CCW) and my 24/7 at home. I bought two boxes and used 10 rounds to test in both guns. I had good accuracy with 3 shot groups (24/7: 2" high @ 15yrds. -1" group; PT145: 1.5" high @ 15yrds. 1.5" group), but, as can be expected with +P ammo they had a nice little jolt of recoil. By no means would I make a habit of shooting lots of these at a time, but for defense I think their a good choice.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts