Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just joined this forum, but have been a lurker for awhile to get to know my firearm better.

I purchased a used 627 from a local awhile back and have really enjoyed it! No issues in terms of reliability. Lockup is alright, but not as tight as my S&W. Awkwardly, it's equivalent to the Kimber K6 DASA that I recently sold. Shoots extremely accurate, but the trigger pull was heavy and slightly gritty.

I have done some minor tuning since first taking it out to shoot. There were a few things I noticed before the minor changes.

- Trigger had a lot of play/slop and wiggled. I could feel the friction against the frame when pulling the trigger.

- Hammer also had wiggle. I could push to either side and notice the space it had. I could also feel the friction of the hammer when cocking for SA if pulled towards the left side.

- DA pull was immensely heavy and SA was... ok. Doable, but ok.

So I decided to set out on a little adventure to tune it up a bit. I am in no ways a professional gunsmith or claim to be. I'm not a wealthy person by all means, so affording a gunsmith at this time is not an option. Thanks to lurking on this forum, TheHighRoad, and S&W forums, I gained a lot of knowledge I thought can apply to improve the 627. I also stumbled upon a post that details what a gentleman did to slick up their 627 (link below).

DIY Hobby Gunsmithing: Trigger Job... Taurus Model 627ss .357 Mag Revolver pics

After disassembling it completely, I noticed the hammer strut had some pretty rough burrs on the edges. I used a ruby stone to smooth it out. Since I am NOT a professional smith or try to be, I only went for "smooth." If the edges didn't get caught up on my finger nail, I'm good to go. No mirror finish, etc. Just smooth. My thoughts on this is that the burrs may bind the mainspring here or there causing some of the grit. Again, I want to note, I only did MINOR stoning. One thing I noticed about the 627 is that it didn't really have much to polish. The single action trigger uses a rod and spring, rather than a rebound slide block and spring. No need to stone anything there. I chose not to mess with the cylinder release/bolt as I don't see a need to for smoothing out the trigger pulls.

What this leaves is the hammer block. It did NOT look good. It seemed as if part of the MIM process, dripping molten metal got on to it. So I stoned those parts off and smoothed out the flat surfaces that touch the inside of the frame. Again, I go for smooth, not mirror finish. I also lightly stoned the inside of the frame where the hammer block may touch. I also lightly stoned where I saw the hammer and frame making contact.

Once all the minor stoning was finished, I installed Wolff's 17190 Shooters Pak. 11lb Mainspring and used their lightest rebound spring. Next up was to address the slack in the trigger and hammer.

I purchased a shim set for the trigger and hammer via Brownells. Although it is not labeled for the 627 Tracker, I purchased the S&W L Frame set. I believe on the manufacturer website, it states to use the L frame shims. I can definitely say it works. 3 shims per side on the trigger and 2 shims per side on the hammer. Now the trigger has no slack and doesn't wobble. I can probably fit another shim per side on the hammer, but it's not making any contact with the frame. Very tiny wiggle now.

Lastly, I installed a Weigand Picatinny/Weaver mount in place of the rear sight. I have a Vortex Venom that's going on there. I'm trying to make this more of a target/precision piece for fun. Goal is 2" groupings at 25 yards to start. So, how is it now?

I still have to take it to the range to test it out for the light primer strikes if any. However, the trigger pull is suuuuper smooth now. The DA is lighter, but not crazy lighter. SA feels like 3.5-4 lbs. I don't have the high speed tools to test it. But I enjoy dry firing it so far. I don't think my minor stoning contributed to the smoother pulls as much as the shims did. As the trigger and hammer are no longer rubbing against the frame, I feel that this has more to do in part to improving the trigger pulls. However, before the tune up, I did notice that after some DA pulls, the hammer gets extremely difficult to lock back. I no longer experience that.

Just wanted to share my experience with the 627 Tracker so far. I'm loving it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
is the wolf spring kit designed for the 627 or another model ? In the past I could not find a spring kit specifically designed for the Tracker ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the wolf spring kit designed for the 627 or another model ? In the past I could not find a spring kit specifically designed for the Tracker ?
It's not designed for the 627, but I've found some posts with trackers in other calibers that used it successfully. As far as I know, there is no spring kit out there that is designed for the tracker frame. Once I get to the range, I'll post up my findings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey all! Got a range report today!

Yesterday, I hit the range to test out my modifications. First off, the Wolff Shooters Pak 17190 works for the 627 Tracker. The configuration was an 11 lb main spring and the lightest rebound spring in their kit (I believe 10 lbs?). I apologize, I threw the packaging away like a child after receiving a new toy. I had reliable ignition of the primers using Armscor 158 gr .38 Special. I had reliable ignition in both DA and SA through 50 rounds.

The Vortex Venom was an outstanding optic for the piece as well. No problems with the Weigand mount either. I actually preferred shooting in DA with the spring kit, as the SA was a bit heavier than I had hoped it to be. Again, I am unable to measure the pull, but maybe around the 4.5 - 5.5 lb pull mark. Although the break is crisp, tactile and like glass, it was a bit heavier than I'd like. I ended up jerking the gun slightly a few times in SA.

So I went home and clipped roughly two coils off the rebound spring and will go to the range again sometime. As this is the 6" version, my Tracker is only going to be dedicated to range and target days. The trigger pull in DA is now super smooth and I'm able to pull through the "stagey" feel much better. However, I think I'm starting to look towards light primer strikes in DA. SA should be good, however. Fortunately, I have another Wolff rebound spring should I have any issues.

On another note, I hit my goal of a roughly 2-2.5" grouping at 15 yards, primarily in DA. 2 cylinders total! As others have said, it is an extremely accurate firearm! Forgot to take a picture of my targets as I was getting rushed off due to time. xD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts