Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I finally got to take my new Tracker .44 mag out to the range today and all in all it was SUPER fun!:) I figured I'd give everyone a rundown.

I picked up some Remington UMC 180 grain JSP ammo from Walmart for $38. I know it's a pretty light .44 mag load but I was mainly concerned with cost and for 50 rounds that's a pretty decent deal.

This was my first time shooting .44 mag (I am a .357 kinda guy) and it sure packed a punch! The porting on the Tracker I'm sure helped tremendously and the muzzle flash was ENORMOUS! I actually got kind of a crowd watching me since the gun was so loud and whatnot!

The gun seemed rather accurate (see the photo)

IMG_1831.jpg

I'm not the best shot out there but again this is my first attempt at .44. The target was place about 15 yards out.

I noticed as the pistol warmed up, one of the cylinders shot surprisingly low left and it was a little concerning. Upon inspection I noticed there are some deep grooves on the back of the cylinder primarily on the ejector and I'm curious if this A.) normal and B.) a cause of the low left shot (see photo)?

IMG_1832.jpg

Aside from that the front sight tape blew clean off after about 10 rounds (I've heard this happens) I will probably replace it and cover it with a little clear fingernail polish as to prevent that in the future. Additionally, before it goes out again, I will need to put Hogue grips on it. My middle finger took quite a beating!

IMG_1833.jpg

So again I was very pleased with the performance of the revolver, I got many comments from other shooters about the gun and I had a really great time. I sure hope those little grooves on the cylinder are a normal thing :eek:!! Anyway if any of you have any additional questions let me know and I'll do my best to reply!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The grooves on the ejector star are perfectly normal; put down those worry beads. Its just part of the manufacturing process. The rap on the knuckles is normal also. You might try taking a slightly higher grip. I tried the Hogues on mine but the finger grooves were in just the wrong place and I felt like I was doing the Vulcan salute. Anyway, .44's are much more pleasant to shoot with .44 special cowboy loads or hand loads. I use .44 mag ammo in mine for serious business but most of my pleasure shooting is with a hot .44 special load of 7.5 gr Unique under a 240 gr SWC cast bullet in .44 special brass. In .44 mag brass you can up the load to 8.0 gr. It is more powerful than a standard .44 special load but far less pressure than a full .44 mag load

·
Registered
35 Posts
My favorite load for my Tracker 44 is the 7.5 Unique and 240 cast as mentioned above. I have the 6.5" blued model and really like that gun. I don't push heavy loads through it because it is a rather light gun and my hands don't do well with the beating they take. Hope you enjoy your Tracker as much as I do mine. Thanks for the range report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New guy here. I recently increased my Taurus collection with a Tracker (blued version) 4" as well.

As above posters have stated, it's much more enjoyable to shoot with slightly reduced loads. My normal plinking / woods carry round for the Tracker is 8.5gr Unique pushing a 240gr. JSP. Good load. Stout, but not painful. Shot 50 of them at the range last week with no hand damage. Great gun -- I'm really enjoying it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Midlifer I shoot H110. Others will tell you its a good powder but it will kick hard in hot loads. My hot load for instance is a Federal case and a small pistol magnum primer 125 grn SJHP and 21.2grns H110 in my M66 4in 357 Mag and it is loud and a big fireball too. The hotter loads I load and I go by Hogdons load data do kick with my 4in and it kicks hard. Im getting to old for the hard kicking lol. I gotta find a different powder lol. My best friend has his dads old Ruger Super Blackhawk SA 44 Mag and he used to shoot H110 in it he now shoots IMR 4227.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts