Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've gotten conflicting reports about the availability of the Taurus Tracker .41 mag in titanium. No one has it in stock and they say it's not available. The "customer care" representative told me it was available and the distributor just needed to call their sales team. The website still lists this model, but the 2007 catalog does not list the titanium model. Does anyone know for sure if this model is dead? Should I try to talk to someone other than the low-level phone representative? Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? What a shame. Every online publication listed this revolver as one of the best hiking/backpacking guns out there. Some of the gunshops I talked to said it was one of their most popular models. The stainless model is 10oz heavier. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact gun you are talking about with 4 inch. Its a great fire arm kicks alot like a 44 mag, but with it being 4 inch really not accurate, good for personal protection. The round can be hard to find for it, but when you do find them a box of 50 is almost 90 dollars, so its really not the type of gun you take out for target practice. I have honestly been thinking of letting it go for that reason alone, if it were not for that i would never even think of parting with it at all. I just need something cheaper for target practice really.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I know of the Titanium gun, I have witnessed it being fired but have never fired it myself. I have the stainless model. I can fire my full power hand loads with 245 grain bullets and it is very manageable and accurate far past my capability to shoot it. The titanium owner eventually gave up on full power loads and developed a load using a 250 grain bullet at modest velocities that gives great penetration as a bear load defense weapon. He fishes in big bear country. I'm not sure I would shed that 10 ounces if it gave me the willies when I shot it, if I'm scared of my weapon I'm not going to use it well.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You are talking about the Taurus Model 425T (Ti) Tracker I believe. It is a 5 shot, all Titanium, .41 Magnum revolver with either a 4 or 6 inch barrel.

I have one that I bought new in 2001 and it has always been one of my favorites. Mine has the 4" barrel and has always shot to point of aim. It has fully adjustable (windage and elevation) sights and the factory ribber grips make the recoil not bad at all. I think I paid about $600 for the gun new.

Ammunition is not hard to get or IMHO overly expensive. Right now Ammo To Go on line has factory .41 mag ammo in stock for $35 per 50 rounds. It is available at a number of on line ammo dealers.

I find this gun very easy to load for. A large brass and large bullets make it easy for my old stiff fingers to handle and the gun is very responsive to a little bit more or a little bit less powder. I can easily load it down a bit for the range and anyone can handle the recoil or just a bit in the other direction and the round will handle anything I might need to shoot, 2 or 4 legged!

Right now I download a 215 grain SWC for range use and use full house 175 grain Winchester Silvertips when I carry the gun for self defense. The recoil with the Silvertips is stout but IMHO not uncomfortable.

As far as I know, the gun was manufactured from 2000 until 2006 when it went out of production.

If you can find one I would advise you to buy it. You won't be sorry and just in case you are not happy with it you will have no problem selling it.

Here is mine....

Don

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
I can't help but think that if they were still producing the 41 magnum, it would be a special run and not ongoing. That caliber is definitely still around but it's kinda languishing, like it has been for the last 20 years. Your best bet would be to call a variety of gun dealers and have them put out feelers for one, if they will do so. Keeping an eye on Armslist and Gunbroker would be a good idea too.

I for one would not be crazy about pulling the trigger on a titanium 41 magnum....I had a buddy once that was a cop in Michigan, and they were issued 41 magnums, the big heavy S&W guns back in the early 70's. He was a really big guy, big wrists and hands and he was about 6'6'' and he said that shooting that gun was like having a howitzer go off in your hand, his wrists and hands hurt for a couple of days after a firing session, and he really didn't like it at all. I'm sure they have lesser powered loads, but I just can't imagine shooting that caliber in a really ultra-light gun.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
A while back they where Stainless Steel Tracker model with a 3 inch barrel was offered ..I've kicked myself several times for not pouncing on one

The 41 Mag is the most powerful controllable Self Defense revolver cartridge....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact gun you are talking about with 4 inch. Its a great fire arm kicks alot like a 44 mag, but with it being 4 inch really not accurate, good for personal protection. The round can be hard to find for it, but when you do find them a box of 50 is almost 90 dollars, so its really not the type of gun you take out for target practice. I have honestly been thinking of letting it go for that reason alone, if it were not for that i would never even think of parting with it at all. I just need something cheaper for target practice really.

Are you still interested in selling this gun? Just found this forum and i am looking for a titanium tracker.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
There's one for sale on FaceBook in a listing in Montana; seems they want 800$ for it.

Reactions: stephenh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Sir. Can you send me the link please? i would like to inquire although $800 is a bit steep. I have never bought a gun from somebody online before. How do you do it without getting ripped off?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've never done it, probably never will. I'll see about a link.. Face Book. Montana Guns & Ammo Trader. Try that. Found it!!!

Great Falls Hunting Group/Gear on face book has the Titanium 41 for 850$
It's a closed group so you'll have to register

Reactions: stephenh
1 - 12 of 12 Posts