Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a discussion the other day with the local gun shop (these guys are the ones that love the taurus brand so much) And they say that there nothing wrong with their steel guns, but they just can't seem to get their titanium line right. Now I like the weight of those titaniums seems like you can carry them all day, but any gun I buy I shoot the you know what out of them. Can those titanuim .357's stand up to that abuse, or are they just a carry and shoot once in a while gun? Mind you I carry a .44 magnum as my CCW and I shoot full power loads all the time so recoil isn't the issue, durability is.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the link they must have took the article down. Anyway I'd like you gents out there to give me a round count out of your titanium revolvers and how they held up. I'll take word of mouth over a gun rag any day.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hey Ace might have messed up when i copied the address...still trying to figure out how to do it on here...maybe it is back to the drawing board for me....Sorry.. :rolleyes:

I did a search on Google with this title..
Taurus titaniums
..came up pretty good with hits, these guys in here will have some answers real soon...Got to Love This Site ;)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
badge851...now why did yours work and mine didn't...I hate computers..LOL

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was a neat article yes but I'd like to hear from the populace. Any of you out here have tried to shoot these things till the hammer fell off?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Tracker 41 mag titanium. It has around 800 rounds through it and I have had zero problems with it. There have been a few FTFs but that can be blamed on a rookie reloader and not the Tracker. It does have a little holster wear but then again I have been carrying it everyday since March of 04. I did manage to get a bear with it a couple of years ago and that's exactly why I bought it. The titanium is a joy to carry, you just have to keep in mind that because of the lightness of the gun it can kick a little. Particularly when sending 250 solid cores down range. I doubt that I'll ever sell this gun.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That works for me I hope other had similair experiences. Everyone says they are the type of guns you buy to carry and not take to the range, as you can understand I want to get a lot of mileage out of anything I buy.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Titanium is stronger than steel so one would hope durability wouldn't be an issue with these fine revolvers.

From what I've read and heard though, Titanium is expensive to produce and costs roughly 7x the same amount to refine as an equal amount of aluminum.

Taurus did offer more revolvers in the past that were made out of Titanium but the majority have been discontinued, apparently to lack of demand.

I have a steel Tracker .357 but if I can fnd one of the same Trackers that's Titanium [and now discontinued] I'd snatch it up.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
badge851...now why did yours work and mine didn't...I hate computers..LOL
Because I added "http:"

·
Registered
37 Posts
As for how a Titanium holds up, I have been carrying during cooler weather, a 445T .44 spec 2 in, for about five years, shot 300 rounds through it in the first couple of months, then slowed to average of 50 per, so have to figure I've run between 2500 and 3000 rounds. Use both 200 grain and a little faster 185 grain jacketed hollow points. Absolutely no problems, indication of wear. In fact my buddy had to have one also, except chose to get the 455T as he wanted to shoot .45ACP, then later added a 4 inch titanium in .45 ACP. Just 2 days ago, he also added a 651 but it is not titanium, so I guess we are pleased with Taurus revolvers. I also am a bit concerned about the company ceasing to make some of the older versions of titanium revolvers, but other than one of them had to wear in a bit, as the trigger would stick to the rear, but after 100 or so rounds, worked like it was supposed to. I love mine, even after quite a few rounds through a short barreled belly gun.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seem like they are reliable, When they first came out I had my eye on a blue colored one that was a seven shot .357 snub for about $400 do they still make them?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well guys, hate to burst the bubble, but I have a 617 Ti and it's been a pain from the beginning. It's on its way back to the factory for the third time, and hopefully they'll be replacing it.

Now before anyone starts claiming I'm a troll, I own a 24-7 Pro and love it to death. I had problems with it, it went back to the factory three times for a cracked slide and other problem, but Taurus replaced the gun and the new one is a tack driver. That being said, my 617 is horrible.

The biggest problem was the cylinder chipping. It was replaced twice under warranty, which made me hesitant. Then came the annoying action lock-up. I'm not privy to the technical terms, but in the center of the ejector there is a "nipple" that goes in and out. When the cylinder was pushed in, the nipple thing wouldn't come back out, which would lock the action. Taurus can't seem to fix it for more than 70 rounds. I'll take a new gun though.

It's probably not a problem with titanium as a material, but it's still a problem. Just figured I'd let you guys know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I first got it, I got about 30 rounds of .357 before the cylinder practically exploded and the action locked. Then it went to the factory, I got it back, and got about 300 rounds of a combination of .38 Special and .357, the majority being .357. The cylinder chipped and then the action locked again. Back to the factory again. Got it back, then about 80 rounds of .38 Special and .38 +P. Cylinder didn't chip this time, but the action locked. Back to Taurus it went, and now I'm waiting patiently hoping they won't send me the same gun back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had the same problem as redline. Taurus fixed it but I have not had more than 50 rounds thru it since.
Oscar

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got my Taurus Total Titanium 450 the other day out of layaway. Once I shoot it I'll let you know my impressions. My only problem is finding ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts