Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 85 ultra-lite Titanium. Came out of wrapper looked 20 years old. Is there a special cleaner for the outside ? kinda has a porous feel to it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just snatched one of those myself. Mine came as pretty as can be... Is it the finish or is it just plain dirty? Sure if it's the finish, Taurus will help ya out... ALWAYS had good luck with them... Wher'd ya hook it?:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ordred it at Jacksons Guns and Ammo rochester n.y.. It was just dirty. I wasnt expecting the kind of finish they have kind of porous feel . I really like it

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Don't know if this helps or not because it's for S&W and not Taurus, but you are supposed to take extra care w/ cleaning titanium firearms. I used to own a S&W 296, and this is what they said regarding cleaning:

Titanium alloy cylinders weigh approximately 60% of what a similarly
sized stainless steel cylinder weighs and yet is able to withstand
the same operating pressures. Care and cleaning of the
revolverʼs titanium alloy cylinder consists of normal gun cleaning
procedures using high quality gun oil and cleaning solvents when
necessary. However, under NO circumstances should the cylinderʼs
chambers (charge holes) or front face be cleaned with an abrasive
material such as sand paper, Scotch Brite™, Crocus Cloth, etc. To
do so will disrupt itʼs protective surface layer and greatly reduce the
cylinderʼs service life because of excessive erosion that will take
place while firing and will void your revolverʼs warranty

(Source: S&W revolver owner's manual).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Right-on, RevolverFan. Also on page 11 of my Taurus Operating Instructions, under the heading of "Care And Maintenance" there is a 3 paragraph section dealing with "Taurus Total Titanium and UltraLite Titanium Models". Basically a warning to "...not use abrasive material to clean the front face of the revolver, or any other part of the revolver, as the use of such an abrasive material can remove the finish on the cylinder, which is a protective layer, and this can greatly reduce the service life of the cylinder and the revolver." And there's additional warnings about not using +P ammo, disassembly instructions, etc. If you have questions concerning the care of your Taurus Titanium revolver, you are urged to call Taurus Customer Service: 305-624-1115.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts