Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again!
Way back in 2017, I started some work with the Taurus Thunderbolt pump rifle in .45 Colt. It came along just fine after a lot of polishing, internal clean-up, and I put it all back together and test fired it. Then I put it away and apparently now want to do some load development, etc. I know most of the bad things about this rifle. I want to dwell on using it now. Can you guys bring me up to date with this rifle since 2017? I would like to purchase some extra parts--but where? Any ideas?
Thanks
GregT

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
Taurus dropped it years ago and extra parts are harder to come by than 3 years ago when you were working with it.

Personally, I would have gave it a Colt Lightning-esque outward appearance and a new internal design. There's a reason the originals weren't serious competition for the lever guns of Winchester and Marlin back in the day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would like you to do a video about how to completely disassemble the Thunderbolt (with the usual disclaimers). Taurus ain't talking and the rifle should really be disassembled occasionally for a good cleaning. I use mine for CAS and I shoot it faster than my Uberti 1873 lever gun. The other cowboys watch and wait for the gun to hiccup but she disappoints them every match LOL!
The only thing that happens with mine has also happened with my 1873 Winchester. With too vigorous a pump on the Thunderbolt, and a too vigorous throw of the lever on the 1873 will sometimes flip the cartridge off of the carrier into the air. So far I have always been able to catch it and feed it into the chamber and shoot.
The Thunderbolt is the only firearm I have that I haven't disassembled completely because Taurus will not recommend it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello!
There is a 23 page manual that was authored by Roger Rapid SASS#96 [email protected] Send him an email and request "1884 Lightning Disassembly instructions--Taurus Thunderbolt Versions". He will email you a copy which I suggest that you download. What he sends you amounts to a small book.... Excellent photos in this manual. I took mine apart without having this manual. I did it but it was not fun. One thing to note, on mine the trigger guard assembly was severely hard to remove from the receiver assembly after the screws holding the triggerguard to the receiver were removed. I found that Taurus had not polished the milling that had been done to the edges of the trigger guard and just forced it together. Before I put it back together, I polished the edges smooth and almost shiny, and it fit snugly but was easy to put back. My home email is [email protected] Feel free to drop me a note if necessary.
GregT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts