Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a TCP and when I first got it and tried to rack the first round it would jam. I then cleaned and lubed it and it's a lot better but it still slightly wants to try to jam on the first round when i try to rack it but is no where near what it was. It hasn't been fired yet. Does this get better when you break it in or does anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
it may just be that you didnt rack it with enough force...Running rounds through it will tell the true story.....The first time a racked a round into mine it didnt want to close properly. But it had no problems feeding from that point.

·
Registered
36,601 Posts
Firts welcome to the forum
Now what you are doing is actualy quite a waste of time, as you have found out the very first thing that you want/need to do with any new firearm is field strip and clean it, relube it and reassemble.
Now if you want to sit and rack the slide over and over then you may relax the springs a bit and smooth the rail to frame fit some, but trying to chamber rounds by hand to simulate actual firing is not really going to work.
First its not unusual for a new firearm to take 200-300 riounds to fully settle in, this for semi autoes, some take even 500 rounds to become relaible!
typically(and every weapon si different) things to look at is, first ammunition selection, use a round nose FMJ for breakin, its normally going to feed better.
second if you are hand releasing th slide it should be stoutly pulled all the way to rearward and let go of, do not ease or ride the slide foreward, if using the slide stop then keep the hands ,fingers away from the side of the slide so as not to slow it down.
finally in a ultra small wepaon like the 738 its very important that you have a firm stance and grip on the weapon as it has somethign to work aaginst.
hope this helps you some!
MY best advice is to just take the weapon and shoot it a bit before depending on it as self protection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem the first couple of times I racked it. But after a few firings it hasn't reoccured, no problems at all.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Many 738s do this. Mine included. If I slingshot the slide it will feed, if I don't rack firmly enough and it fails to feed the first round, a tap on the mag or the back of the slide does the trick. By the way, it has never failed to feed when fired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts