Taurus Firearm Forum banner
12K views 49 replies 39 participants last post by  joecap1946 
#1 ·
Hi, all. I'm new here and have never owned a gun. I've taken my concealed weapons course and am awaiting my permit. My question is:

When is the Spectrum going to be available to purchase? The date keeps changing....Does anyone have any info on a release date and where I can purchase one in the Palm Beach County, Florida area??

#3 ·
to the forum from the Florida Keys! :wave:

Several are waiting patiently for the release of the Spectrum. Taurus has told us they will not release it until they are happy with all the testing on different ammos that they are doing.

#4 ·
Last we heard from the Taurus marketing folks is that the Spectrum may be available by end of 2nd quarter....

#15 ·
I agree. If you're looking for a pocket pistol, the Ruger LCPII has received many good reviews and it's been around long enough to establish a reputation for reliability. If you need a pretty pastel pistol, hold out for the Spectrum.

#7 ·
Welcome from Kansas, enjoy! Many of us are waiting for information on the Taurus Spectrum as well. I was new to the handgun world a couple of years ago, and my first was the Taurus TCP, which is being replaced by the Spectrum (and roughly the same size). The TCP is not exactly the ideal range pistol, and takes some practice, but is a good concealed carry option. Good luck!

#9 ·
Welcome to the Forum from North Texas! :wave: We're mighty glad you decided to join Ye Merrye Crewwe! :thumb: I concur with Taurus 10 - you should get something larger, take it to the range and shoot it often. If you are going to carry, take a defensive pistol course. You will benefit immeasuably from it and enhance you shooting and drawing from concealment skills. By your own admission, you have never owned a gun, so taking a Primary Defensive Pistol and an Advanced Defensive Pistol course is critical to your gaining the necessary confidence and comfort with your new pistol. I would start with a compact pistol, master it then move down to the subcompact pistols. You can conceal a compact pistol (I do all the time) just as easily as a subcompact. Also, find a pistol that fits your hand. You would be surprised how different pistols are from one another in the grip.

Reactions: Taurus10
#13 ·
Welcome from Northern Illinois! I cannot improve on the above advice except to say to rent some compact and sub-compact pistols to try at the range. The shorter the barrel, the more difficult it is to shoot accurately due to the short sight radius (distance between the front and rear sight)...being off just a slight fraction on the shorter barrel puts that round much farther off your intended point of impact. The sub-compacts tend to have a snappier recoil and may be more difficult to get back on target.

Good luck in your search and let us in on the progress!

#14 ·
Welcome from Williston!!

#17 ·

​Welcome to the Forum from Gulf Coast Florida!

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

#25 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the kind welcome! Ive read each and every reply respecfully and I will take advice as noted. I will consider the bigger handgun as refreenced by a few, but I will say that the Spectrum really caught my eye and is what finally made me goto the gun show to take the course and hpefully buy a Spectrum. The colors are cool, but I'm a 'not a fool' and understand that owning a gun for personal protection, especially concealed is a serious matter and just liking the 'colors' is not a way to decide on a tool that's meant to save your or a loved one's life. Plus, I understand that once you pull it out you better be ready to use it and use it well. So, in researching, if Taurus has indeed made all of these changes and features as seen then it does at least 'look' like the perfect carry conceal weapon and the power if used properly enough to drop a would be attacker.

We shall see.... Hopefully, we get some news soon as to its release and we can see some video of it being fired and fired hundreds of times... to get a good perspective. I'm guessing that this is how most people assess a firearm. Find out the quirks if any first before buying....just like a new I- Phone update! ;-), wait and see if there are any bugs before installing! lol

Again, thank you all for taking the time to answer my question and the friendly hello!!!!!

#33 ·
Thank you all for the kind welcome! Ive read each and every reply respecfully and I will take advice as noted. I will consider the bigger handgun as refreenced by a few, but I will say that the Spectrum really caught my eye and is what finally made me goto the gun show to take the course and hpefully buy a Spectrum.
Glad to have you with us! Considering a bigger handgun is a really good idea.

The Spectrum/TCP/LCP size pistols are very specialized handguns. Starting out with one of those is almost like deciding you want to ride a motorcycle and going out and buying this:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

You can do it, but you're stacking the deck against yourself instead of stacking it in your favor.

The tiny 380s are tough in several important ways. Even the best sights in this "class" are tough to use. The recoil is (ahem) snappy, and not managing it properly leads to jamming. If it does jam, there isn't much slide to grab for the tap-rack-bang drill. Oh, and that tough-to-manipulate slide affects you every time you load/unload the pistol. You can learn all this, but it makes the initial learning task quite a bit more challenging.

If you step up a bit in size, pretty much all of these problems disappear. Something the size of a Bersa Thunder/Makarov/FEG lets most people get a full grip on it, or close enough. Recoil is much easier to manage, and they have a more reliable action - blowback vs. delayed blowback. That gives you both better reliability and better accuracy. the sights still aren't great, but they are usually better - particularly on the Bersa. And they cost about what the ones you're looking at cost. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/650818859 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/652115221 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/652212303

Start with an easier handgun to manage. You'll be glad you did. Heck, a model 85 revolver has a lot going for it too, it's just a bit harder to conceal.

Again, welcome to TaurusArmed!

#27 ·
Can anyone help me with this.... I'm trying to add this to my signature and it keeps saying 'can't be over 1000 characters' and I've cut it way, way down from where I started! LOL....Just trying to give our founding fathers a sounding board. This is what I'm trying to post and I've counted the characters in Word.. and its under 1000. So many good ones I had to cut out!!!

Anything I'm missing as to why I'm getting the error? Sorry to bother anyone, but haven't found a 'support' email or link etc...

Drew--

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Thomas Paine

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine

“Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”
“A Republic, if you can keep it.”
Benjamin Franklin

But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.
John Adams

Foreign influence is truly the Grecian horse to a republic. We cannot be too careful to exclude its influence.
Alexander Hamilton

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson

#29 ·
With all that going on, your posts might get lost!

Plus, you've got yourself 1143 on the character count.

#30 · (Edited)
This may help. From the TA forum rules and guidelines:

14. Signature lines fall under the same rules as your avatars. If your signature line doesn't meet the above rules, it isn't allowed. Signatures will not be more than 6 lines and 1 picture.

I'm not an administrator here, just trying to help. And before anybody asks...my NRA logo and KSRA logo are combined as one graphic, after I sized each to fit.

#32 ·
Welcome to TA from Minnesota and good luck in your quest for the Taurus Spectrum. You should really take a look at the PT111G2. Great gun.

#34 ·
Welcome from Sunny Florida!! Gulf side!!

#35 ·
OK folks - just heard from the Taurus marketing folks and...

the Taurus Spectrum is on schedule to release at the end of June! It is possible that they will send us a video clip of it in "action" prior to release to whet our whistle! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.