Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading about the TCP being on backorder in another thread (here: http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/700-s/237450-tcp-back-ordered.html ), I did some digging around and discovered that Taurus is introducing a new gun called the Spectrum.

I've not been able to confirm that the new Spectrum pistols are a replacement of the TCP, but being that the two guns would seem to be aimed at the same niche, I would expect the TCP line would end to ensure the new guns are commercially successful.

The new pistols are .380 ACP pocket guns with a 2.8" barrel and 10.2 ounce weight. Flush magazines hold 6 rounds while extended hold 7. The MSRP will be about $286.

The most obvious thing about these pistols is the wide range of color combinations available that include both white and black frames, black and stainless slides, and at least 7 different color inserts. This offers the potential of having dozens of color combinations to make the guns a bit more customized for the shooter.

Taurus-Spectrum.jpg Taurus-Spectrum-in-FDE.jpg new-Taurus-pistol.jpg

Shameless plug (let me know if I should remove it): You can read more about these guns/see more photos on my website here: Taurus Spectrum: Colorful New .380 Pistols for 2017 Also, I'll be at SHOT in a few weeks and will get additional photos and details on these new guns then. I'll post more details when I have them.

-Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting looking piece to say the least. I will with hold judgement until I actually see one and hold one. I do like the options of colors, Just like the SCCY line of pistols. (this coming from someone with a Full white TCP to boot) But at the end of the day, if it is a conceal carry, it should not draw attention to itself. Wondering if the color plates will be or can be interchanged??

Edit: the Safety on side is interesting if does not need a special key to operate and may be a selling point...

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
My TCP has been my EDC for almost 2 years, but I would give one of these a look. My daughter would love one.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good looking gun; rounded and smoothed edges should help with pocket carry, although my TCP hasn't hung up on anything to date. The color interchangeability should appeal to some shooters too.

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Has an interesting look to it. Looks like it would be a lot smoother for pocket carry. Lets hope it shares the TCP Mag. Last thing we nee is another magazine design.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has an interesting look to it. Looks like it would be a lot smoother for pocket carry. Lets hope it shares the TCP Mag. Last thing we nee is another magazine design.
Excellent point on the magazine. I'd hate to hear the company developed a different magazine if the existing ones would fit the size envelope.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Wonder how many parts it has that are interchangeable with any other Taurus product?

I expect it's an entire new series of parts for them to keep on backorder.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks like the integral lock is designed to be turned with a coin instead of the proprietary key (which can be substituted with a security torx driver). I wonder if pre-existing designs will be updated with that feature or if it will only be newer models. Ideally they would get rid of the lock altogether.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
If it can be turned with a coin or any other flat object it defeats the purpose, why have it at all?

I'm wondering if it is just an indicator and the lock is activated on the other side with the traditional key they use.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
If they are changing over the production line during the holidays, that would make sense.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Too many "ifs" at the moment, but if it turns out to be a viable, reliable pocket carry, the black / FDE may have my name on it...

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Looks like the integral lock is designed to be turned with a coin instead of the proprietary key (which can be substituted with a security torx driver). I wonder if pre-existing designs will be updated with that feature or if it will only be newer models. Ideally they would get rid of the lock altogether.
I'm thinking that the lock you are seeing on the side is the disassembly release, not the safety lock. With the position, that would make more sense - and it would be great if they got rid of the pin that is on the TCP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would be happy with the turn down take down system on my 40 PPX that would be very nice indeed- no stupid little pin to lose or back out while operating

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm thinking that the lock you are seeing on the side is the disassembly release, not the safety lock.
That would tend to make sense, but there are two small icons at opposite ends of the pivot arc - one showing a locked padlock, and the other unlocked. It will be interesting to see more about this pistol as it becomes available.

Reactions: slimpickens
1 - 20 of 68 Posts